collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: 2,500 Gods  (Read 3028 times)

2,500 Gods
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
I know there are scores of Gods and Goddesses in Kemeticism, which is one of the reasons I love it so much, because I am very Polytheistic. But isn't it true that the main Gods are but a briefing of the many, many Gods that are actually in our Pantheon? How many Gods and Goddesses do we have?
Akins

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
Re: 2,500 Gods
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
em hotep Akins,

The most comprehensive answer to this was given by German Egyptologist Christian Leitz and his team.
The compiled the "Lexikon der Ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen", a 8-volume encyclopedia of all known divine names and epithets.
It's pretty up-to-date, published in 2003, and according to Wikipedia it has 5500 pages, 56 500 main entries, almost 100 000 cross references and about 200 000 cited hieroglyphic terms.

Our Gods and Goddesses are countless in the truest sense of the word because the text sources as well as the images are always open to interpretation: With many terms and names, we cannot be sure if they are seperate deities, a special local syncretization, or just titles of a deity.

For example, Khont-amenti, "the foremost of the West". Is this the earliest local God of Abydos, a form of Yinepu or a title of Wesir?

Or look at this:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/ac/55/c0/detail-from-the-red-chapel.jpg
Those figures with nome signs on their heads, are they divine personifications of that nome and should be counted as gods, or are they just allegoric representations?

If you count every variation, personification and epithet as a separate deity, you'll come up with about 100000, I guess. If you just count those deities that had their own cult and priesthood, I estimate that the number would be no more than 100.

My advice:
Don't try too hard to put the Names of Netjer into any kind of clearly defined boxes, don't try to grasp and count them.
It's like catching fog and counting stars: good exercise, but ultimately pointless.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:58:10 am »
It's far more meaningful to form relationships with Names than count them.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
I want to find out if there was a deity covering pillows, because I need to kiss up to them.  It just hasn't been working out with any of mine.

Offline IbuPtah

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:52 am »
Em hotep Akins. I would agree with Demaimuti, in that, much like friendships, it isn't how many you have that counts...it is the relationship with the ones you do have that matters most.

And, Fisherfool...I would look to Shu for pillow help...much like he supports the sky, he is also able to support your head :) as in Tutankhamun's   Headrest  
Sa Ptah-Sokar
Mery Amun-Ra, Sekhmet-Hetheret, her Nebethet-Nit-Seshat
Fedw Diviner for PtahSokar

Offline Pawabitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:06 am »
I think there is quite a problem to it since deities in a sense are perishable as well. You could take once sphere of time and count all the deities in it. But to count all there are and ever were is... hard, since some simply are no more.
Also I agree to Demaimuti, it's more important to build a relation to the names than counting them. In addition, within this statement you have another point to your question which was already pointed out by Maen: Names of Netjer. You can count all you want, what remains is one Netjer.

Counting is something that is born by material logic and I think it doesn't go well with imaterial senses and concepts. :)

EDIT: Personal line has served it's purpose. Now erased as promised.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:49:32 pm by Marukay »
Sa Wesir her Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Sekhmet-Mut

Beware the raging green jql man! (inspired by Tuwerherbastmut )

~I'll stick to the words I said, not to the meaning some want them to hold~

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:54:41 pm »
That's true, it's just that I am extremely Polytheistic, so I love having as many Gods as possible in my life. Therefore, I wanted to know of Them all in Kemeticism.
Akins

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304030
  • stats Total Topics: 21099
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal