collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Most approachable Names?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Most approachable Names?
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:04:13 am »
Who are the Names you find to be the friendliest and the easiest to approach? I'm sure it varies a lot from person to person, but I'd be interesting in hearing your perspectives.

I ask because I am still quite new to kemeticism, to the Netjeru, and to the concept of approaching deities in general. I get nervous easily and I often feel as though I am probably doing it all wrong and possibly insulting Them by accident. I'm also a natural skeptic, so I often I have doubts, and then I worry that having doubts will make it so they don't want to communicate with me and I get so anxious that I can't focus on attempting to communicate with Them at all. It's a... very annoying cycle, to say the least.

So far, I've had the most success with Wepwawet, Nun, and Hethert. Wepwawet in particular seemed to respond as soon as I first approached Him, which surprised me because I hadn't intended to work with Him extensively. While Nun doesn't have the same active energy as Wepwawet, I do often get a sense of Him being passively there, infinite and vast, nevertheless. Hethert, meanwhile, was the first Name I approached, and while I haven't gotten the same kind of strong response from Her yet, I do feel connected to Her somewhat.

Mostly I'm just wondering how to go about forming connections to Netjeru, and who might be good to start with, as a beginner.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
Re: Most approachable Names?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:42 am »
Quote from: PhoenixJRising
I ask because I am still quite new to kemeticism, to the Netjeru, and to the concept of approaching deities in general. I get nervous easily and I often feel as though I am probably doing it all wrong and possibly insulting Them by accident. I'm also a natural skeptic, so I often I have doubts, and then I worry that having doubts will make it so they don't want to communicate with me and I get so anxious that I can't focus on attempting to communicate with Them at all. It's a... very annoying cycle, to say the least.

Hahahah, ahhhhh.....yes it is! ;-)

HetHert in my experience makes her presence known through waves of emotion, it might seem quiet/weak until you get used to what you're feeling for and she finds her in-road/access point into your life. She hasn't done much since then, with me, but I'm okay with that, I didn't expect I'd be one of her favorites, lol.  She does like to know that way in regardless, though!

For other Names...gosh, I don't really know.  I first opened the gates to Netjer out of grief & damage more than discovery/exploration so laid myself on NebtHet's door, and she has been very kindly but also likes to keep a certain space/distance. I don't know if I'd recommend her.

If you want distinct results, maybe try Heru-sa-aset?  I brought a little statue of him home from the flea market this summer because it came as a package deal with the drinking Osiris bowl I have (evidently it was just a dialed-in day that day!) put a dish of water in front of it idly thinking it's been a tchochkey for so long it might like a little TLC, and out of the blue got a totally unexpected raise at work the very next day. Your results may vary of course, but I sure thought it was pretty damn neat!

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:31 am »
Quote from: PhoenixJRising
Mostly I'm just wondering how to go about forming connections to Netjeru, and who might be good to start with, as a beginner.

IMO, the best gods to start with are the ones you are closest to. We believe that everyone has gods who are particularly attached to them, so you are already surrounded. In a good way. Sometimes it takes less trying and more quiet contemplation and listening to figure out who those gods are. Sometimes you can ask other gods you already have relationships with if there is any god you missed or need to know.

You're already on good terms with Wepwawet and Hethert, so I'd ask them. They're both good networkers, so to speak, and so can help point you in the right direction if there is a direction you need to be going. Remember that sometimes it's necessary to hold still and get your bearings while traveling new territory. ;)

Good luck and senebty!
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
em hotep

when it comes to which Netjeru to approach, the best advice has been given, I think: Those you are closest to.

I get nervous easily and I often feel as though I am probably doing it all wrong and possibly insulting Them by accident.

Why don't you approach the problem from the other direction, then, and make sure you're doing it right?
I think you can't really make any important mistake if you just keep it simple:
- offer cool, clear water and bread. those basic offerings are always acceptable. Incense of good quality, too.
- make sure that you're clean and neatly dressed
- address the Gods respectfully with Their name and title (we have an extensive list of possible Epithets on the forums) and make your offering
- sit down, cast down your eyes and listen.

I this respectful manner, I don't believe you'd insult even the strictest of our Netjeru.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
In my own interactions, I've found Hethert-Nut to be enormously compassionate and unconditionally loving, so She or Hethert-Sekhmet (the "standard" Hethert) really are wonderful goddesses to approach first. And Wepwawet as Opener of the Ways, well... He would be a good one to ask to introduce you to other Names, as folks have mentioned. :)

I'd add Bast if you're up for a fiercer goddess and Ptah for a very (in my experience) patient, calm, well-grounded god. (As much as any god can be down-to-earth!) And I do second the above responses on starting with Who you know first and making sure your small, simple things are solid and good, so you can hopefully nip those doubts and worries in the bud.

Good luck! :)
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Offline Simcha

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »
I admittedly don't know much of Wepwawet, but I will second what everyone has thus far said about Hethert. Especially if you have already reached out to her, well, keep reaching!

Kind of second to what thefisherfool has said, I've experienced Hethert in a similar way. She can be quite intense when she wants to be, almost like a wave overtaking you, surrounding and filling you with emotion and love in a nein ignorable fashion. My "strongest" experience with a Netjer was actually from Her, and I wasn't even looking for Her at that particular moment! So take that for what its worth.

But whomever you choose just approach them respectfully and honestly and keep an open line of communication, it goes both ways afterall!

Good luck   :)

Offline Ikhet

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:28:38 pm »
Yinepu is very approachable almost to the point that you can forget you are talking to a Facet of god. however this approachability can be a downside because it is is easy to fall into the mentality of " 'Sup Did you catch the Packer game yesterday?"

I agree Ptah is patent and well grounded also very practical but He is powerful He is the god that creates other gods!  once you begin to understand just how powerful Ptah is talking to Him can be intimidating  
Ikhet-itw Sa Yinepu her Ptah Mery Heru-ur

"Let me be your song"

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
Thank you all for the advice!

I've already been keeping my methods of communication as simple as possible (though I will incorporate your suggestions), but I still get nervous. I'm hoping the beginner class will help a bit with that! I think a lot of it is just a combination of my inexperience and my social anxiety disorder acting up (I can't believe I forgot to mention it, since it seems like the obvious culprit). Is it appropriate to ask the Netjeru to be patient with me during my learning process, in order to calm my nerves a bit?

It's really great to hear about experiences with Hethert that are so similar to my own (She mainly comes to me as waves of emotion and love). Makes me feel like maybe I'm doing something right!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:03:06 pm by PhoenixJRising »
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:37 am »
It is absolutely okay to ask the Names to be patient with you--though I daresay They would be patient anyways, whether you ask or not. :) Plenty of us have various challenges (anxiety, depression, what have you) that can make interactions with the gods less than easy, especially at first. Netjer understands, so by all means, ask for whatever patience or compassion you feel will help ease your own nerves.

Wishing you luck!
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Online Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 09:05:19 am »
Phoenix, I am curious as to your reference about Nun.

Wepwawet does not surprise me and I do not just say that as one of His daughters. Nothing can happen without Him on some level so we all experience that potential, which means we always have a chance to experience Him.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 03:34:12 am »

Quote from: Shezatwepwawet
Phoenix, I am curious as to your reference about Nun.

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify! I'm not sure what else to say; He just seems to resonate with me. I am originally from the East Coast and I have strong ties to the ocean (both as a vast and incredible force that controls more of our lives than we realize and as, mostly likely, the birthplace of sentient life as we know it), so I guess a deity who represents the primordial waters of potential from which all creation came just makes sense to me on a fundamental level.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:23:01 am »
I find the majority of my divine family to be approachable, but that's probably because I'm a little biased.

Wepwawet is always willing to listen and I do the majority of talking and praying to Him in an informal setting, but sometimes it's easy to become too formal. I also found Bast easy to approach. I offered items to Her and She then came forward to me.

Goodluck :)
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »
Quote from: IkhetI agree Ptah is patent and well grounded also very practical but He is powerful He is the god that creates other gods!  once you begin to understand just how powerful Ptah is talking to Him can be intimidating  [/quote

I had it the other way around, honestly. I was very intimidated to approach a great creator, but  our relationship smoothed out into more of a flannel and jeans one. He's certainly not to be underestimated for it though!

In my experience, Ptah-Sokar is epitome of patient, but I definitely suggest approaching those you mentioned as well. :)
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295196
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything