collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 92
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Kemetic Orthodox views on suicide  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Kemetic Orthodox views on suicide
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »
I'm going to convert to Kemetic Orthodoxy when I turn 18 (2 more years), but I've been heavily depressed and suicidal for about 4 years. I just wanted to know the religion's views on someone committing suicide and/or considering suicide.

Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Kemetic Orthodox views on suicide
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
I struggle with chronic depression, and I have had severe self-destructive tendencies (including suicide attempts) in the past. I'm sure others here have as well. I'm new to the faith myself, but I do know you're not alone, and I seriously doubt anyone is going to look down on you for it.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Ikhet

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:05 am »
I, myself have gone the Suicidal road. I have had a M4 (a short M-16) against my chin, a round chambered and began to squeeze the trigger. I am here typing this today because a Drill Sargent walk by at that time. I was made to get help

What you will find is a Family that is much more compassionate and Tactful than a drill Sargent, We will urge you to seek help but we will not judge you that is Netjer's job and Netjer's alone!

As far as the act of suicide itself we definitely do not condone it, in the spiritual manor the act itself is Isfet. Thinking is one thing, doing is another! Killing yourself is still the murder of a precious child of Netjer.  Netjer loves all His/Her  children and, in ways dotes over them like a mother bear. you do not want to go to the hall of judgment with the blood of one of Netjer's children upon your hands (even if that blood is your own!)

When you are feeling Down Remeber you are Netjer's child and your life belongs to Netjer take care of yourself as that is a act of devotion its self and we are always here to listen.  

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:17:01 am by Ikhet »
Ikhet-itw Sa Yinepu her Ptah Mery Heru-ur

"Let me be your song"

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:57:22 am »
The short answer is that life is a gift from the Gods.  Look at how often the ankh is portrayed through history.  

An all important addendum to the short answer is that there is help available.  Use it.  There are suicide hotlines.  There is a community (and often multiple communities) of people who can be there for you.  There are physicians and counselors.  If you need to see someone on an ongoing basis, that isn't a bad thing.  Neither is getting on medication if a doctor prescribes it.

You mention considering.  We are not the thought police.  Some times, and in certain cases, over certain periods, thoughts enter our minds.  What matters is what we do with those thoughts.  
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:30:37 am »
Em hotep.

At your age the last thing on your mind should be death and depression, and I'm truly sorry that you're going through difficult times with that. If you can, speak to someone about how you're feeling. A teacher, an anonymous journal online where you can just vent out your feelings, or a doctor. I realise that it's difficult for doctors to diagnose depression etc. in minors but they may/will be able to give you advice on how to deal with it, or perhaps refer you on to someone who can.

As for the House's view, well, I think the others have summed it up nicely. My Uncle committed suicide on the 4th of December 2011 with no warning and no note, which was a devastating blow for the family. When I joined in June 2012 I still had that dark cloud floating over me. During the beginners class December was an increasingly difficult month for me and I began to think "what's the point?" and debated giving up with the class. The teachers of that course got me through my hard times and members of the House have been so supportive of me.

If you ever need to talk to someone, don't hesitate to send me a personal message.

Senebty!
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:14:28 am »
It's been 4 years since my stepfather killed himself in the kitchen of the duplex home I share with my mother and I still never know whether to bring up the effect of suicide on family/the bereaved when it comes up.  It is a veritable faucet of isfet in a quite impressive form in the lives of those left behind, in any individual losses' circumstance.  I'm sorry if bringing that awareness to the table is a wrong thing to do, I'm honestly not trying to add any extra emotional strain, but it's true.

The gods enjoy all their creations, I believe they would be very sad to not know and never see how one of them would have played out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:35:21 am by thefisherfool »

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 09:18:27 am »
Also if you are seriously considering suicide, please seek professional help if you are not already getting any. I've had too many friends who have contemplated it in the past, and I cannot imagine their not being in my life now.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:53 pm »
well, we're not exactly fans of committing suicide, and even contemplating suicide isn't a good thing -- but we're also not on the "suicide is a sin/keeps you out of heaven" side. i have akhu who killed themselves, and i've thought about it a lot myself. the gods still love you, even when you're having trouble loving yourself. a particularly good god to talk to if you're having issues with mental health, your own or others', is Khonsu. He gets it.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 06:05:30 am »
Please get professional help. I was suicidal from 15 but didn't get help until I was 19 in 2006. I'm now 28 on medications.

I also recommend reading "A conversation between a man and his Ba". It's in Lichtheim, Miriam, transl. Ancient Egyptian Literature: Middle Kingdom. (3 volumes). University of California Press, 1976.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:17 am »
I've tried to get help, but my mother has refused to even acknowledge that I may be depressed. I'll definitely try to find that book though. Thank you!
Biwi

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:32:58 am »
Religion (and my pets) is what's been keeping me alive so far. It hasn't felt like enough lately, but what you said is definitely giving me something new to think about, so thank you.
Biwi

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:35:28 am »
I've been too nervous to go to Them with this, but I'll definitely try now. Thank you!
Biwi

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
Like I told Demaimuti, I'm unable to receive professional help. The only "treatment" I'm receiving is the support from my closest friends.
Biwi

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:46:01 am »
I hate to say it, but pointing that out to someone who is suicidal is not a good thing to do. It tends to make people feel even worse, especially when they're often faced with the "suicide is selfish" theme. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, or anything even close; I'm just trying to be as honest as possible. Regardless, the opinion of the gods does make me stop and think. Thank you.
Biwi

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:51:44 am »
I have crippling anxiety, so the concept of talking to anyone (in person) about this is absolutely petrifying. I'll definitely try an anonymous journal, though. I'm really happy to hear about how the classes and the House have helped, though, since they've both been acting as the "light at the end of the tunnel", I suppose you could say. Thank you!
Biwi

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3162
  • stats Total Posts: 295210
  • stats Total Topics: 20156
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 120
  • stats Most Online: 955