collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 92
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Kemetic Orthodox views on suicide  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Re: Kemetic Orthodox views on suicide
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:05 am »
Ah, well, "considering" may have been a bit of understatement. I've attempted twice, and have never received professional treatment. My family tends to dismiss my mental health problems due to my age, so the community is what I've been depending on. Thank you.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:54 am »
It's great to know that there are others who feel the same way I do, especially someone who is also new to the faith. It makes me feel less alone than before. Thank you.
Biwi

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »
Quote from: TheHandMaiden
I hate to say it, but pointing that out to someone who is suicidal is not a good thing to do. It tends to make people feel even worse, especially when they're often faced with the "suicide is selfish" theme. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, or anything even close; I'm just trying to be as honest as possible. Regardless, the opinion of the gods does make me stop and think. Thank you.

*nods* And see, as someone who lost a loved one I can't not say it whenever it comes up either or it denies a fundamental life experience and personal truth.  You seem to understand that, though, and I can't weigh in on whether suicide is selfish or not, my stepfather's death was rather angry more than anything to hurt and lash out at others.  And that is never cool no matter which way you dice it.

I understand what it's like to have terrible anxiety and parents that dismiss it, though.  I have an anxiety disorder and when I turned 17 I mustered up all my courage and told my mother that what I really wanted for my birthday was to see a therapist.  She wasn't ready to oblige and I had to wait until I was in college the next year; some mothers see their kids needing help as a sign that they failed as a parent and take it as a personal failure and just want to sweep it under the rug.  Which just helps the anxiety SO much :p  But it's understandable.

Hang in there :-) If the House alone doesn't do it for you when you hit 18, as a legal adult you'll have access to mental health services you can claim on your own power.

And as far as Netjeru go, I'm seconding Khonsu and Yinepu/Anubis is good for navigating the dark head-places, too.

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:45 pm »
It's definitely a view of suicide from Ancient Kemet. It's no replacement for professional help. I suppose to get help you need to go through mum's insurance?

A sense of connectedness to any community (including this one) will reduce your risks. My psychiatrist spends some time fretting over my reduced social life.

As for Netjer to quote the Nisut, head of HoN,  "the gods don't make junk".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:12:00 pm by Demaimuti »
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 03:24:58 pm »
Exactly; I can't do much of anything without my mother agreeing to it. Thankfully, I have plenty of friends who support and help me.
Biwi

Offline Kefetmisenu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 09:55:05 pm »
Em hotep and prepare for a long post,

As someone who, at the tender age of 13, began contemplating suicide, and has attempted such-thankfully with no luck or permenant damage-as well as has had and still has severe depression and anxiety, let me just say this: This community has saved me and helped me more than I can possibly explain to you.

Several times since joining the forums way back in 2006, I've found myself in horrendous situations and mental states. Every single time, my spiritual family has helped me, even if it was just by talking to me and reminding me of how loved I am. It's tough being your age, I know. It's even harder living with someone who doesn't understand your situation, and refuses to help. We will try to help you, though. Even if it's only in some small way, we will try.

As far as Netjer goes, I cannot speak for Them, but I do believe that They understand mental illness and what it causes. For me, They will get quiet during some episodes, and I feel instead speak through Their children and will leave me to take care of myself and not worry about ritual, offerings, etc. A few of us-myself included-have noticed a trend amongst Hethert's children in having severe depression or depressive episodes, as if our bodies aren't capable of containing that much joy and sort of go in reverse of it. Thus I think She and Sekhmet are goddesses good for helping with depression and suicidal thoughts (Sekhmet is the goddess of healing, after all!). Khonsu as well is a god that I've heard from others is a god Who can help with mental illness.

Lastly, please know that my inbox is open, and that I check in at least once or twice a day. If you need more immediate contact, I can give you my FB info. I'm pretty much always connected there. Just know I-and many of us-fully understand what it is you are going through, and will do our best to help you. May Hethert help bring you joy and Sekhmet bring you healing.

Senebty,
Kefet

[color:purple]Kefetmisenu
Sat Heru-wer her Hethert-Sekhmet[/color]
[color:violet]The nutball Kemetic/Pagan/Witch artist of KO
Icon is my own artwork[/color]

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 07:21:16 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know there isn't much I can do to help, but I am one of many who are here to support you. Netjer has told us time and time again that 'none of us are alone. We always have each other.' And while that is not a substitute for professional help, it is still something inspiring, something safe.

If you need the phone number for a support hotline, please PM me and I will try and find one for you. Also, you might consider consulting your school counselor--it took another 'qualified' adult to convince my parents that one of my siblings was having mental issues.

Best of luck. May my Father Yinepu guide you safely through this journey. May Sekhmet heal the pain in your heart, and may Djehuty's light shine through the darkness.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »
I believe the Gods love us very much and want us to live a life  of prosperity. Therefore, I don't believe They condone suicide. Didn't the Egyptians believe that those who committed suicide would be servants in the next life? Life was extremely precious, and we take so much of it for granted these days that we don't understand just how precious life still is.

Let me tell you a story about my mental illnesses. I have anxiety disorder and depression, all of which I am on medication for thankfully. But before I was this year, my conditions spun out of control to the point that I was threatening to kill myself constantly. Then Khnum came and calmed me down. This was the first time in my life I had ever heard of this God and the first time I had ever interacted with an Egyptian Deity on such a personal level. He gave me a lot of peace and calmness and that helped me through until I could get help.

I always say that illnesses can be successfully battled with good medicine and strong faith. The Gods will help us but we have to be willing to help ourselves as well. I can ask a God or Goddess why They didn't heal me, and They might ask why I didn't go down the road to the hospital? If the Egyptians had the physical and mental health advances that we have today, they would have no doubt considered them to be gifts from the Gods, which is what I believe they are. The Gods give us the ability to care for ourselves as well.

But I also believe the Gods are there to care for us when medicine and other advances just can't satisfy our needs and pains. The Gods will help you if you just ask, and so will all of us here. I understand you very well because I too have battled with mental illnesses and contemplated suicide. It's not a fun existence at all. So I am always here to talk with you and help in anyway that I can, and so are the Gods of course.

Em hotep,
Chris.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:14:08 pm by Akins »
Akins

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 06:23:15 pm »
I also believe that Kemetic Orthodoxy would be against suicide as well. The Laws of Ma'at include:

I do not commit murder (suicide is the murder of oneself).

I do not dislike myself.

I do not wrong myself.

I do not cause grief (killing oneself would cause grief to friends and family and anyone else who cares for you).

Em hotep,
Chris.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:27:28 pm by Akins »
Akins

Offline Kaede Ennead

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 10:43:19 am »
I have been having thoughts of suicide for a while. I recently attempted suicide in front of my own altar. I have autism, depression, PTSD, and anxiety. I'm VERY sensitive about my mental health. I've been wanting to die since middle school. I was bullied for falling in love with Tutankhamen. I also feel like he rejected me because someone who's alive claimed that he's her fiance. I felt so hurt I think I had a mental breakdown. I know I'm weird and I'm sure I'm not good enough for him. He got me into Kemetism when I was 12. I still feel VERY hurt by that person who claimed him and I feel heart broken. I also feel like giving up on my life due to that incident and my big fear of growing old. I'm 25 and I'm getting old.

Offline Kaede Ennead

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 10:56:06 am »
I may be feeling a little better since I've been recovering, but I'm still depressed. I've been thinking about killing myself still. Please forgive me for that post I put on there. I'm still VERY sensitive about my mental health. I have autism, severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I'm still struggling with them. I was just crying due to depression and PTSD. I've been feeling up and down lately and very indecisive about everything, even about what I want to eat. Indecisiveness is a symptom of depression. Can anyone please reach out to me? I've been feeling upset and the choronovirus outbreak makes it even worse!

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 01:25:56 pm »
Em Hotep Kaede

I too suffer from depression, and from the invasive thoughts of suicide. You are not alone.

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time recently. If you want, send me a PM and we can talk about what you are going through. Understand, though, I am not a psychologist or councilor, and nothing replace professional care when it is needed. I hope I, or someone else here, can help you through this tough time and get you on the road to recovery.
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set
(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

Offline Saqdiheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 02:18:38 pm »
Exactly; I can't do much of anything without my mother agreeing to it. Thankfully, I have plenty of friends who support and help me.
i too have a parent who is controlling in a very severe way. From my money, to even my own job applications, I cant do any of it because my grandma says "She has to be the one to do everything until she cant anymore" so im hardly knowledgeable with things that normal people do and it hurts so Damn much and she doesn't want me talking to anybody about this. You aren't alone, because she has said some nasty things that have made me contemplate suicide, and the worst part is that most people see her "good side" and shrug what i say off or tell me to just get over it and deal with it and its that simple. I hear you and understand how it might feel being ignored.
"Heru sails (onward)"
Son of Heru-Wer
beloved of; Sekhmet-Hethert, Ra, Set
Self care Heru-Wer keeper
www.mixer.com/Mr_awesome357

Offline Paserutaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 09:23:15 pm »
Em hotep Kaede Ennead!

I'm sorry for what is happening now! Feel embraced and know that you are very welcome here!
I don't know if you already have psychiatric and psychological treatment, professional assistance at this time is extremely important. We are certainly here to listen, welcome and chat, but treatment is important!

If you need to talk, you can call me on PV!

May Aset cover her with her wings and give her air with her feathers!
Paserutaset "The prophecies of Aset"
Paserut
Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Heru-Wer, Wesir and Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3162
  • stats Total Posts: 295210
  • stats Total Topics: 20156
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 120
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything