Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Gods for vehicles/autos?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
Gods for vehicles/autos?
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
Well, there's been a few threads recently about which gods to go to for various concerns, but I haven't seen one for this and dear god could I use it!  

My car has cost me a small fortune this past year in work and repairs and there's no end in sight, now its making some other new noise and there's a plethora of snow events on tap for this winter, too, and I've already skidded out.  I am at the end of my nerves with this car, with mechanics, with weather events, and most of all, with pouring money into the black hole it's become :(  I don't want to get rid of it, it's got very good low mileage still and we got along wonderfully for so many years, I just don't understand this luck I've been having with it and could use divine intervention/assistance.

What Names do you suggest addressing petitions to regarding automobile/car stuff?  It's a huge component of modern life, but completely unknown to the Ancient Egyptians.

Anything that could help!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:24:05 pm by thefisherfool »

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Gods for vehicles/autos?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »
Personally, my first thought for the weather-related concerns would be Set or Tefnut. Set as deity of storms (and also of the barren red land, which I think those of us outside Egypt could equate to the barren winter landscape), and Tefnut as deity of moisture and rain (which could extend to snow for those of us in the north).

Maybe also gods related to craftsmen and the like? Ptah and Khnum are the first to spring to mind for me. The ancients didn't have automobiles (obviously), but they did have metalworkers and such.

Whoops, I keep editing this, but I also just thought that if it were me I might try talking to Hethert. She seems to care strongly about things that aren't huge, earth-shattering problems, but are still enough to get in the way of our ability to enjoy our lives.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:46:59 pm by PhoenixJRising »
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Itenumuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:43:57 pm »
I might recommend Wepwawet for a general boost of way-opening, in the sense of seeing a way to keeping your car (or acquiring another one affordably and quickly if that's necessary).

I second the recommendation of Ptah in terms of making a creation functional and worthwhile, too. Heru-wer is a good Name to approach if you need help with money.

Before I'd invoke Netjeru, however, I'd call upon my akhu if I were in your shoes. They've got quite a punch, and I think humans understand the need for sufficient transportation a little better than Unseen-boat-using deities. :)
Senebty, Tenu
𓇋𓏏𓈖𓏌𓏲𓂉𓏛𓄿𓏭
Child of Nebt-het & Hethert-Nut
Beloved of Ma'ahes, Serqet, & Wepwawet
𓉠𓃕𓄂𓆫𓃧

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:52:08 am »
Well, I had my car acting up several months ago and got panicky.  I asked for help, and who did I get?  My Poppy (dad's dad), the one who taught my dad how to work on cars.  My dad got there about half an hour later to retighten the connection (which we later permafixed, as the negative terminal had split at the coupling).  My point is, go to your akhu first with the car stuff, they'll know it better than the Netjeru will, at least in the most practical, seen world sense.

Also hon, most mechanics will take you for a ride if you're a woman and they think they can make a quick buck off of you.  It's best to find a well-rated, local shop with a lot of experience under their belts.  A good idea is to get to know your basic car stuff, like fluids and where everything is under the hood, so when it starts making a noise that it normally didn't before, you can try to pop the hood and see if there's anything off at a glance (but don't open any valves or caps while the car's running!).  Have you kept its routine maintenance up on it?  If you haven't, that can really screw up the system and cause repairwork down the line that's a lot more expensive than a fluid flush/change.  Cars can be a money pit once they're off the lot, but that's the price that any owner pays for having to not wait on the bus or someone else to take them places.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:54:23 am by Siwy »
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:09 am »
Ah, I forgot about the Akhu.  That's right, they would be better to approach.  My grandfather tinkered with cars.  Unfortunately I remain dubious, the joke in my family when he was alive was that the best thing for your car was to keep him far, far away from it, but maybe he understands the newer models now from the perspective of the blessed dead.

And re: mechanics....This place I bring the car to used to be a privately owned, independent mechanic, I brought the car there for years and they did great work.  Then this past summer/fall, they were bought out by a big auto repair chain which....I *guess* I won't name but who knows why. They renovated, got new technicians, etc. and I don't trust their work since then.  I had the car in just last week, the serpentine belt was original still and cracked. OK, fine, the car's 12 years old and I've been replacing parts as I went along, I got all new struts on it this year too. Now something else sounds awful?  It hasn't even been a week yet since I drove the car out of there, WTF?  I sure as anything am not paying for it if they put something back together wrong.

And this is after crashing it twice this year due to weather, too. I've been feeling like the thing is hostile/unreliable turf lately.

Anyway...I shall try to involve the akhu later this evening.  I still appreciate having suggestions for Who among the "big guns" to appeal to as a backup, though, it's been ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:39:38 am by thefisherfool »

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:19:34 am »
I think Wepwawet is a good choice. (I'm thinking here of images of jackals towing the sun barque, as well as His general function as opener of the way.)

I read a mention once of an aspect of Amun called "Amun of the road," so now I call upon Him. I have what I think is a netjeri of His in my car; I keep a toy frog there to represent it, and if I eat in my car I share some of my food with it.

Here's a prayer I use just before long or potentially difficult drives (you may want to alter the Bast line slightly):

Wepwawet, You who open the way,
remove all obstacles from my path.
Heru-wer, speckled falcon,
spread Your wings out over me and protect me.
Amun of the road, who protects the traveler,
may no harm befall me.
O Bast my mother, Eye of Ra,
may I be vigilant and aware.
And may all the beautiful Names of Netjer watch over me as I travel.

Oh, also, I agree with praying to Set for protection from storms.

Good luck!

Shefyt

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Shefytbast »
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:23 am »
em hotep

I read a mention once of an aspect of Amun called "Amun of the road,"

As far as I know, "Amun-of-the-Road" is the name of a small, portable statue, it features prominently in the Tale of WenAmun. WenAmun is travelling as an emissary of the Temple of Karnak, so he takes a small statue of Amun with him, and that statue is the divine emissary of Amun in the foreign lands.

So I guess you could make any God an "x-of-the-Road" by taking a small statue with you, kind of like a travel shrine.

Back to topic, I also tend to turn to Wepwawet for all matters of travel, but I really like the idea of asking the Akhu!

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:04 am »
Heru-Wer. Because cars are big, made of metal, and potentially lethal.

Give him some rum and ask him for help. Since he's also a helpful god to petition for financial issues, he can probably address both repair cost issues and general protection/safety issues.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:28 am »
I tend to look to Wepwawet for protection from general badness while travelling, and for making the journey smooth. For my actual car I look to Heru-wer, since there's a general opinion throughout the community here that He tends to enjoy vehicles and looks after them.

As for the Akhu, I'd think it would always be appropriate to involve them in any mundane, day-to-day endeavors. They were people with car problems and interpersonal difficulties once - it makes them a little more savvy than the Gods sometimes.

On a personal note, my first car was a kind of hand-me-down gift from my grandmother. She passed away after I went to college (and was still using the same car of course). I firmly believe that either she had a spirit sent to live in the car and protect me, or that she watched over me in the car. There were several near misses I had as a stupid teenager, and I walked away from the accident that eventually totaled the car totally unscathed. If there's someone among your Akhu who you would have that kind of relationship with, you may want to approach them about helping you in that way.

When in doubt, I'm always in favor of building a "team" to approach with issues. Maybe that sounds sort of flippant, but when it comes to prayers and petitions, the only way to really offend the gods is to hop from one deity or spirit to the next. If the problem is multi-faceted, then maybe it's best to ask a few different Gods or spirits with different strengths. < / tangent >

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
Throwing in my words for Wepwawet and Heru-wer as well. Heru for cars make sense, because they can be awesome machinery, and well, Heru-wer is the GREAT Heru. :)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:43 pm »
Ma'en, I think you're right, and that's where I read about it (in Lichtheim, probably), and I mistook "Amun's-statue-going-on-the-road" for "Amun-the-God-of-the-Road." Whoops! ^_^

Well, my froggie still seems to be a thing. So, whatever works!

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »
Well, fact is, the original hieroglyphs simply translate to 'Amun of the Road', the fact that a portable statue is meant becomes clear from the context, but it COULD be a kind of epithet, too.
And there are hyms and prayers from the New Kingdom that address Amun as someone who will help ordinary people with all sorts of misfortune, so why not?

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3253
  • stats Total Posts: 298398
  • stats Total Topics: 20453
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything