collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Bast - A Goddess of the Home?  (Read 2683 times)

Bast - A Goddess of the Home?
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:57 pm »
Bast's symbol is of course the cat, and even in ancient times, cats were domesticated, meaning they lived in homes and palaces with humans. Today, many people also have cats as pets. So could Bast be considered a Goddess of the Home?

Em Hotep
Akins

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
Re: Bast - A Goddess of the Home?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:10:51 am »
Em hotep.

I'm honestly not sure. My Mother to me is maternal and loving but She's also fierce- a protector. I see Her as an Eye of Ra, not just a 'domestic' Goddess.

Senebty.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:49:55 am by Arefsenu »
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:40:19 am »
Yes, among many other things. (Personally I'm a little leery of limiting Her to the domestic sphere. After all, She is not a tame lion. ^_^ )

Shefyt
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:52 am »
Em hotep, Akins,

What I know from various resources (both academic and not) and personal gnosis:  

Bast is not a goddess of home and hearth, per se.  She is a protector of children, and part of protecting children is a strong and stable home, therefore She is a protector of the home.   She is a Goddess of many layers:  a war Goddess, a Goddess of Joy, Protector of Children, The Ripper, The Shredder, The Tearor, Lady of the Perfume Jar...  But first, foremost, and always, She is an avenging Eye of Ra. She rides the Barque of Ra each night along with the other Eyes, doing battle with the Uncreated.

This site gives a good list of Her known epithets, which will give you a good idea of the roles She is associated with.
http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bast

Blessings and Senebty,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:31:32 pm »
I'm fairly in agreement with Tahai on this.

UPG on Bast tends to go as, She's very, very opposed to being defined as 'domestic kitty'. Not that She doesn't love them and care for them, they're Her children in the animal kingdom after all and most commonly viewable representatives, but She's not them, She still retains Her status, limiting Bast's nature is a no-no.
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:22:48 am »
I guess I'd have to say I'm the odd one out, here. While I acknowledge that for most people, Bast is a protective and ferocious goddess, She has always presented Herself focused on creativity and family to me. I think this is largely because my Father and Mother have the fierceness factor covered well. While I would never suggest reducing any deity to a single aspect, I think They show different sides to different devotees sometimes. If Bast presents Herself as a deity of the home to you, then I think that's perfectly valid as it is a part of who She is to some degree.

Now, if Bast were presenting Herself as a goddess of banana trees, that might be a bit different as there is absolutely no precedent for that. But a little variance in a deity's focus combined with historical background is okay in my eyes. ;)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »
I also see Bast in this facet of her, as a home, hearth, and family goddess. OF COURSE that is not all she is (like any woman, she has many sides). But that is how I 'get' her.  
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:29:51 am »
Quote from: Sobeqsenu
I guess I'd have to say I'm the odd one out, here. While I acknowledge that for most people, Bast is a protective and ferocious goddess, She has always presented Herself focused on creativity and family to me. I think this is largely because my Father and Mother have the fierceness factor covered well. While I would never suggest reducing any deity to a single aspect, I think They show different sides to different devotees sometimes. If Bast presents Herself as a deity of the home to you, then I think that's perfectly valid as it is a part of who She is to some degree.

Now, if Bast were presenting Herself as a goddess of banana trees, that might be a bit different as there is absolutely no precedent for that. But a little variance in a deity's focus combined with historical background is okay in my eyes. ;)

Senebty,
Sobeq

I agree that god may take as many forms as there are devotees, and are rather individual for everyone.

Personally I was responding to the tendency to well, soften Bast to the point of entirely ignoring Her warrior aspects, which in my experience Bast well, bit snickered about, not saying that She can't be and isn't this or that ever. (Just thinking of clarifying, /pondering Her aloud. No disrespect meant here. :P)

That point of banana trees actually amused me, as I've seen Her at times *present in* even though not 'goddess of' form of banana trees, but then that was trying to grab attention to different tradition and being well, playful cat with 'let's see if you get the hint, I'm still a guide'; which yes is different thing altogether and not kemetic, I'm just pointing anecdata to Netjer as sometimes doing 'unusual' for them things if having specific *purpose* in mind with the path of Their children. :P

Senebty,

Vaalea
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:10 am »
Em hotep!

Mother is not domestic, per se.  She can be seen in our domestic companions.  But She is *feline*.  She is not a house kitty, even if She loves them fiercely.  Remember that Bast is also represented in semi-leonine form in antiquity.  She's not a tame little pussy cat, even if She occasionally entertain Herself by pretending to be one.

Bast is very much concerned with families.  Her strong association with children, as well as the Lady of Joy, can make her seem... homey.  

Senebty,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ankhetbast »
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:41:03 am »
One of her titles is 'Northern Hethert' which does bring in the family aspect. I think the answers show that trying to pigeon hole a Name is a bad idea.

The Names ask different things of each of us. Bast insists that I have have a domestic cat whenever possible. She says it is good for me and given my depression, I think she may have a point. (The current cat is a tabby named Queenie) Her and Hethert have asked for a devotional artwork that I have almost finished.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8