Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Issues with Mut?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Bekamuti

• Shemsu
Issues with Mut?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:02:06 am »
Em hotep all,

I'm posting this hoping you could help me with these two questions. The first one isn't that complicated: let's talk Mut! What are your experiences with Her, what does She like?

The second question is about advice: how can I tackle my Mut-issues? I've been divined for quite some time now and I was mostly focusing on my Mothers. When I got the impression it was time to get to know my Beloveds as well, I went to Wepwawet first, because we already had a 'thing' going on (you know, He being the Opener of the Ways and all).

Everything was fine until I prayed to Mut, laid out some offerings and meditated on Her. Zero. Absolutely nothing. I think I tried it several times afterwards but I didn't get anything, which was one of the main reasons I got into a religious hiatus concerning Kemetic practices.

Now that I've picked my practices up again I'm very much intimidated to go one-on-one on Her. When I include Her in my prayers along with the rest of my line-up I still don't feel anything, whereas I get the Nebt-het/Hethert/Wepwawet 'tingling' in Their parts of the prayers.

I'm well aware my already established issues with Her can be the main cause of blocking the two-way contact, rather than She just not liking me, but still.
Anyways, I'll cut to the chase instead of rambling too much on the boards: I'd like some input as in how to tackle these issues. What would you do?

Thanks and senebty!

Love, Beka
- Bekamuti

Sa Nebt-het & Hethert
Mery Mut & Wepwawet.

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Issues with Mut?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:24 am »
Em hotep!

I find that I "get" Mut very differently from the other Gods in my life. She tends to be much more subtle. I attribute that to a few things. She is the wife of Amun, the Hidden One, which is a name She bears sometimes as well, for one. She is the Queen of all the Gods for another -- something I presume occupies most of Her attention, leaving a smaller portion for mortal interaction.

I have found that my relationship with Her has improved with time and effort, but not in the way I expected. I kept making offerings and reaching out, and eventually it felt like things clicked without any real perceptible response from Her. One day I was making offerings to a fairly distant goddess and the next, I felt like we had a rapport without ever "hearing" from Her.

Of course, as with all things: your experiences may vary, that's just my experience. :)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:35 pm »
Em hotep Beka!

Sorry, I only just saw this post.

I'm the only person that I know of that has Mut as the only Parent, and not syncretized. She did say during my divination to call Her Amunet, though, and so I do. Very few people "get" Mut because She is so big, but perhaps I can offer some insight and assistance?

A few things about Her to keep in mind:

1. She is Queen of the Gods, like Sobeq mentioned. I have to agree this seems to take up Her time in a manner of speaking. It also means She is more likely to nod in regal approval than to speak, in my experience. Imagine a Queen sitting on a throne next to a King during an audience - usually the King is the vocal one, but the Queen is ever present, watching, listening.

2. Her older form (my specific Mother) is Amunet - The Hidden One (Female). She is very hard to "hear" like other somewhat more boisterous Gods. I find She "speaks" mostly when I am at my quietest and most at peace. And even then, it's not in words. It's almost a guided intuition, or being imparted with knowledge that She means something. Honestly? A great way to get a grasp on this concept is to look up the Disney Pocahontas movie and watch the scene with Grandmother Willow. "Listen with your heart." She's been very big on this in my experience.

3. Mut is the Mother of the Gods. She's BIG. She's also symbolized by the vulture, which are fairly stand-offish in comparison to other birds. She is more likely to wrap Her arms around you when you are upset than to sit and have a full-blown conversation like Wepwawet might do. This also means She is a Creatrix. She was Born of Herself, and created even the Gods, so She might also be busy keeping Set and Heru from bickering all the time. :P

The best ways I've found to get Her attention are to keep the above things in mind when considering offerings. She's a Queen, She's a Creatrix, and She's a Mom.

A few things that She adores in my experience:

1. TEA. Get some really nice tea and sit down and have a quiet tea time. Offer Her Her own cup and a place at the table with you. Much like you'd invite someone over for tea. Sit and sip the cup and tell Her your troubles or concerns, why you want to interact with Her so deeply. This seems to always get Her attention, at least a little bit. If She doesn't seem excited the first time, keep trying. She appreciates the effort and dedication. She likes fruity, dark, and floral teas. Use honey or natural sugar for Hers instead of bleached or sweeteners. Maybe make some little tea sandwiches to share with Her! It's not easy to get an audience with royalty, after all. :) She adored our tea party for Her during Queen weekend last year at Tawy! I actually pull out my tea set and She has Her own dedicated antique cup and saucer that no one is allowed to use or touch.

2. Make something and offer the time, effort, and end creation to Her. Moms love even macaroni necklaces made by small children. She appreciates the effort put into making something very much. I always feel a big smile when I've done well. It's less tingly like many Gods, and more like a warm summer breeze.

3. I also go sit outside and literally listen to and feel the wind. Look for birds in the cloud shapes. Stop and be silent and listen to and feel all the things She has created and say thank you to Her. Sometimes I can feel Her in the wind. (I feel Her very strongly in the wind as my Mother because Her form of Amunet has a hand in that, ymmv.)

4. Grand gestures of respect. She has a fond love of full henu in place of standard hands up henu. Visualize yourself entering the throne room and throwing yourself on the floor in front of a benevolent and powerful Queen of all of the lands. I very rarely offer anything but full henu (forehead to the floor) in senut.

Doing the above should help you "hear" Her better. I hope it helps!!

I also throw fedw for Mut, so contact me if the above doesn't work and I'll ask Her about the situation. :)
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:25:21 pm »
The only thing I can think to add to what my right-on sisters have said is that Mut is completely sure of herself, and I find that I communicate with her most easily and am more likely to get a response if I am feeling sure of myself regarding being able to "hear" her generally and sure about whatever I've got to say to her. I do approach her with questions, but only after I've really thought about what it is I want to know, why I want to know it, and why I haven't been able to figure it out on my own yet. So even in my unsureness, I'm confident that I know where I stand with respect to it. If that makes sense. You don't have to be confident about everything, but be confident in something (even if that something is your ability & willingness to keep showing up at shrine and make offerings until you get a response that you recognize). Mut, as a sovereign, loves it when we learn to claim our own sovereignty.

And if you feel completely unsure about everything . . . fake it until it feels normal. Seriously.

And relax! There's no exam. :)
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:54 am »
I have been thinking of advice, Beka - is it possible that Mut isn't interacting with you as separate *because She's already there*, perhaps in queenly / motherly / caring aspects of your Mothers?~ After all, the RPD list lists gods that are most present (and want to be listed at the time the Rite is done), but that doesn't say all so much about *how* they're present, or indeed in which time.

Maybe She isn't speaking as called as 'Mut' because She is mingled all around already, part of the mothers you interact with because they're Mothers, in your work with Wepwawet, or something else altogether, in some form that you might miss (hence getting listed separately). Not that she in fact *is* separate from anyone else, or you.

I've found from experience Mut is rather good at that sort of thing, being caring and present and *super subtle* when She wishes to be. (And for one, I've found Her in mysteries, in almost all the work with them. I was thinking perhaps because She *is* one such Mystery, and greatly comfortable with own nature.)
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:22:58 am »
Hethert and Mut do tend to complement each other. Queen is translates as ' Great Royal Wife' which is why you had no regnant Queens, even women had to be King. 'Great Royal Wife' would usually be the mother of the heir. Hence the connection to mothers.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:58:06 pm »
In my experience there is the possibility of Her being meshed with other Names, as She is often (almost always) syncretized, but there is also a very big difference when She is named as Herself alone than in other situations - She has a reason for doing that, after all. I speak from having discussed this on several occasions with different children of Mut and -Mutlings. Those of us with Mut, and NOT a syncretized Mut (i.e., HetHert-Mut, Sekhmet-Mut, Bast-Mut) seem to tend to get a Female King version of Her which is much quieter. (Ymmv, however.) :)

Mut is not just a Great Royal Wife - She is the Female Nisut. Like Hemet(AUS) being a woman that is Nisut(AUS), so is Mut a woman that is Nisut. Nisut is a different role than the Great Royal Wife. Thus Her loving it when we claim our own sovereignty as Arieni put so elegantly! She wears the double crown for this reason; it is a symbol of Her difference in station. It was something we went over quite a bit in 2013 during Queen Week during the process of getting to know Her. When She is syncretized it adds a sort of Kingship to the other Goddesses. HetHert is already a Royal Wife via Her husband, Heru. I think perhaps the reason Mut is there by Herself is to emphasize the Power that can be contained by a female. Beka's Mothers are powerful, but more motherly than ruling power, if that makes any sense. (Balance in all things!)

I agree wholeheartedly with Arieni on this - confidence in yourself will help you hear Her. Keep faking it til you make it. You will definitely get there. She will love and protect you no matter what. :)

Vaalea: She is definitely a Mystery Herself. In Her form of Amunet, She is the embodiment of Mystery! :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:59:32 pm by TabauAmunet »
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:58:28 am »
Good point. The symbology certainly fits Mut as Female Nisut. For the record Hethert-Mut is quiet too, I know she's there but often not much more than that.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:31:33 am »
I don't have much of a connection to Aset or Mut, but the feelings I get from Them are much different. I get a feeling of "I am Wesir's Queen, and I am mother to THE KING. You will listen to everything I have to say." I don't hear from Her often, but She is clear about what She is saying to me when She shows up. Whenever I have addressed Mut, I get the whole regal "you may speak now, royal subject." She listens, She considers, and then She renders her will. However, as the Sovereign, I feel that She doesn't feel like She has to 'answer to anyone'. Though you may or may not get your request granted, She doesn't have to tell you anything unless She wants to.

Just my limited experience. YMMV.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
Quote from: Taryt
Whenever I have addressed Mut, I get the whole regal "you may speak now, royal subject." She listens, She considers, and then She renders her will. However, as the Sovereign, I feel that She doesn't feel like She has to 'answer to anyone'. Though you may or may not get your request granted, She doesn't have to tell you anything unless She wants to.

This is very accurate in my experiences with Her!
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet

Offline Bekamuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »
Em hotep!

I just wanted to thank all of you, and let you know how much your advice is appreciated. I read all posts thoroughly and they helped a lot.

Firstly, I wanted to say that I actually never thought of Mut as Amunet, the Hidden One. It makes sense for Her to be quiet (because, well, She's hidden), but I thought I understood 'hidden and quiet' after getting to know Nebt-het a bit better.

I also would like to respond that I understand Vaalea's point: given that Nebt-het is sometimes considered a sort of sovereignty figure of the Duat, and Hethert being Heru's wife, it could well be that there already was a Mut-ish aspect present.
However, 'my' Nebt-het mostly seems concerned with taking on a motherly rol (subtly, She makes clear She comes first), comforting and teaching about the importance of mourning in order to get over things.
I get 'my' Hethert very joyful, She's the embodiment of bliss and love, is quite informal and loves music.
I like to think of my Moms as two types of friends: the one who sits with you, listens to your rants and comforts you while you cry and the one that tries to cheer you up in a "we're-going-out-partying-right-now" kind of way.
Wepwawet's hard to grasp, yet it's always easy to say it's Him. Somewhere in between an older brother and a wise, elderly uncle. Teaching things but always making sure to blend in some inappropriate pun to break the ice(ymmv).

It's only natural Mut showed up, given that none of the other netjeru in my line-up seem to be focused on formality or sovereignty, I just need to figure out how. I will definitely try to fake being at ease, while at the same time trying to maintain a certain degree of formality: something I'm not used to with the rest of my line-up. I will keep you all posted about my efforts!

Senebty, Beka.
- Bekamuti

Sa Nebt-het & Hethert
Mery Mut & Wepwawet.

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:34 pm »
Em hotep Beka!

Mut often seems to show up to bring balance to a situation. Your discription of your Mothers makes me think this may be the case here.

Mut is kind of what Amunet became after the Old Kingdom. :)

If you are uneasy, then perhaps just try taking 5 minutes before senut to just kind of meditate and count your breaths enough to calm yourself and then just be formal towards Her. She's a very kind King, much like Hemet, and doesn't punish for mistakes, especially when you are getting to know Her. She may give you a look occasionally to let you know you screwed up on something once you know better, but that's really just a correction and not much else. An easy way to do this: I *always* offer Her full henu. If you try, She'll appreciate it. When all else fails, treat Her with the respect you'd treat any decorated Leader, and you'll be just fine!

Much luck with getting to know Mut! Again, let me know if you need, and I'll be happy to help. I'm glad our posts helped!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TabauAmunet »
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
Em hotep, all.

Cool conversation.  :)  I actually never offer Her full henu.  I don't really offer anyone full henu.  My Mother's told me not to.  She knows who She is and She knows who I am.  If She didn't want to have the conversation, then we wouldn't be having it.  In my experience, respect is important, but abasing yourself before Her isn't.  Because again, She knows who She is.  If you do offer full henu, do it because it's genuinely in your heart to offer it.  Don't ever do it because you feel you're supposed to, because someone told you to, or for the look of the thing.  She sees through all of that. While I don't think that it upsets Her, it isn't necessary and might get in the way if you're so worried about it that you're not receptive and in the moment.    

I think the best advice in getting to know any Name is to be genuinely sincere, receptive, and patient.  

YMMV course.  

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tasedjebbastmut »
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
Taji, that's very important, thanks for mentioning that part!
I do it not because She asks, but because I feel it in my heart. I *want* to show Her I'm willing to put that extra little bit of effort into showing my respect for Her because I feel She is deserving and it makes me feel worthy. :) It less of a fearful or lowering type of motion and more of a motion of sheer joyful adoration when I do it.
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298658
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955