collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Applicant In Alaska  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Remetj
Applicant In Alaska
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:52 pm »
Em hotep!

I am a librarian from Anchorage, Alaska. Are there any members of the House in Alaska? I have applied for the next beginner's class that begins in May, but as I am expecting the birth of my first child in early April, I thought I might wish to speak to others in an organized Kemetic religious community before then as I approach this life-changing event. So here I am!

My husband and I are also trying to move out of state this summer to somewhere in the Pacific Northwest (probably Washington, maybe Oregon, members of the House in those states?) after the birth of our son, as I will be leaving paid work to care for our child, and the job prospects are much better for him down there. He is a professional artist and currently has the best 9 to 5 artist job this state can provide (working as an in-house artist for a major t-shirt company that fills the state's tourist gift shops). I do consider Ptah a patron of my household due to my husband's vocation, and Seshat as a professional patron for myself.

Bast brought me to Kemetic religion in November 2012 when I found a severely injured feral kitten in the dumpster outside my apartment. In addition to getting him veterinary care I put up a shrine to Bast, made Her offerings, and prayed to Her throughout his recovery process. The kitten lived and healed and is now the sweetest, most loving cat in my household (I have three). Shortly after this I began to understand Her as so much more than a goddess associated with cats (which was all I knew at first) and I began to see Her influence in other areas of my life such as my desire to take up belly dance, my desire for motherhood, and actually becoming pregnant.

I used to be marginally Hellenic (i.e. I worshiped a small handful of Greek deities) but Bast brought all the other Netjeru into my life in a way that my worship of Persephone and Dionysos did not in bring the other Theoi. I feel incredibly drawn to many of the Names, not only Bast, and I do intend to undergo the Rite of Parent Divination if I decide to become a Remetj, as initiatory rites are one of the elements of Kemetic Orthodoxy to which I am particularly drawn.

There are a number of other things that make me eager to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy. For one, I genuinely like well-organized religious institutions (and that there is an actual physical temple for this faith!), ancestor veneration is extremely important to me, and I have long been seeking a religious community that is unashamedly religious (I'm tired of being around people who are afraid of the word) and pro-family. I was heavily involved with the local Pagan community here in Anchorage and the surrounding communities for the last few years, and it was ultimately not a good fit for me personally.

I know that was a rather long-winded introduction, but I am excited to have others to talk to about this faith, and to potentially become a member of the House after completing my beginner's class this summer.

Senebty,
Dorothy

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
Re: Applicant In Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »
Em hotep and welcome to the forum! :)
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Darytessekhmet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »
Em hotep and welcome Dorothy!   We are glad to have you. :)
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Mesutetamunra

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »
Em hotep and welcome! It's good to see another library professional around :-)
Mesutet
Sat Amun-Ra
Meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
RPD 2012

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:44:04 pm »
Em hotep and welcome to the forums, Dorothy~
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »
Em hotep and welcome to the forums!
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
hat I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:17 pm »
Em hotep Dorothy, it's very nice to meet you. :-)
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 04:36:37 am »
Em hotep, Dorothy! I'm in Seattle, and used to live in Portland.  There are a few of us here and there in both states.  
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Menekh

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 05:22:43 am »
Em hotep and welcome!
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:17 am »
Em hotep, Dorothy! Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing your story with us. (A number of the reasons you gave for being drawn to Kemetic Orthodoxy as a faith are exactly the ones that brought me here as well. ^_^)

Best wishes on your pregnancy and forthcoming move, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:21 am »
Em Hotep and welcome!

Prayers for your pregnancy to be trouble-free and your labour to be quick, with a minimal of issues.
My Mother happens to be Heqat. If you are interested, I can place your name with her statue until you have your baby.

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37:29 pm »
Em hotep, Dorothy!

I confess that I don't know that there are any active members in Alaska, but we have had them in the past. People tend to show up more often when they see other people in their area have appeared. There are, however, definitely people in the Pacific North West. One of my good friends (Caitlin on these boards, Desh elsewhere) lives in Portland, and has irregular meetups with the tumblr pagan community out there.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! May the gods protect you and the unborn. I hope that your pregnancy is a wonderful experience for your family, and that your resulting move goes smoothly.

As a Bast and Ptah aficionado, I'm delighted to see that They're present in your household. I'm always interested in talking about Them (and all gods!) if you ever want to drop me a line. The story of how She helped you with your little fur-ball is very touching, and the manner in which Bast brings in other Netjeru is definitely something shared among Her devotees. Just look at Shefyt... she has quite the full house! *laughs*

I think one of the nice things about KO being an organized religion is that we have things like rites of passage. That's something that independent Kemeticism lacked, for me personally.

There are a number of other things that make me eager to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy. For one, I genuinely like well-organized religious institutions (and that there is an actual physical temple for this faith!), ancestor veneration is extremely important to me, and I have long been seeking a religious community that is unashamedly religious (I'm tired of being around people who are afraid of the word) and pro-family.

And all these things too, I relate to having drawn me in! Admittedly, a family is far into my future (I hope!), but raising a KO child or two is definitely part of my dreams for the future...

I look forward to getting to know you and seeing you around the boards! Take care of yourself, and keep in touch! We're always down for discussion.

Senebty,

Khenne
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Dorothy

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

Maret, I sincerely appreciate your offer and would be grateful for your help. Thank you. :)

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
Em hotep, Dorothy~ Prayers for a healthy baby. (:

My reasons are like Khenne's and your own, as to why KO specifically drew me in. I'm also in the PNW, but I'm currently about a half hour away from Lacey. x) So when there is a meetup around the area/Portland, it's quite a drive for me and I typically have some driving anxiety concerning places I've never been to. xD
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »
Welcome, Dorothy! We loves seeing new faces, and each of us has been led here one way or another (my Father is the guide of the dead, but He likes to do other guiding things too!). I hope the transition to the Northwest goes smoothly!
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298652
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything