Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Chewing Onions for Bast  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Remetj
Chewing Onions for Bast
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, this delightful little festival is near on the horizon, and as a fairly new Kemetic this will be my first time celebrating it. I was hoping others might like to share what they are planning, or how they have observed this holiday in the past. So far, I'm planning a feast for my husband and I, and inviting my sister and her boyfriend if they'd like to join us. I plan on putting up a fancy festival shrine for Bast, buying fresh flowers, and burning some of my first batch of kapet which will be ready just in time!

Are there any particular prayers or heka you associate with this holiday that you would like to share? I'm so excited! :D

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Chewing Onions for Bast
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:15:54 pm »
I always do something with lots of sweet onions.  Curry is my favorite, and Bast appreciates it creamy.  Sometimes I will compose a hymn to Her.  I definitely like to do something creative for Her as a part of my celebration.  This year I will be offering her a dance.  Whatever perfume I wear, I select it with Her in mind.  Whatever I do, the day should always be filled with joy!  

~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Ematsen

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:06:27 pm »
I'm just gonna share a little anecdote of last year's Chewing Onions...I didn't really know what to do, since i was flying by the seat of my pants as far as religion goes, so I bought what looked like a good offering - cocktail onions!

I went to eat it after offering one and PHHHEEOO...NO THANK YOU! It was so gross!!!

Bast thought it was hilarious.
Senuwiematsen - My Two, In Their Moment.

Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Set.
Meryt Wepwawet-Yinepu, Aset-Serqet, Heru-Wer, her Nut.

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:49 pm »
According to the Kemetic Orthodox calendar, Onion day is on March 4 this year (but March 1-4 is the Feast of Ra and the Eye of Ra, so you could look at all of that as festival time).

In my area, we usually hold a celebration at my house for local members: fellowship, a little execration heka, and dinner at Outback Steakhouse. ^_^  Here's an account from last year.

Your plans sound wonderful! I hope you have a lovely time.

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Rev. Tawa'u

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »
I didn't start liking onions until just this month, almost as if my tastes starting changing for the festival.  I just texted my fiance since I'm going to be over there for the festival, and him, being a LOVER of onions just texted back along the lines of "You're gonna be here for onion day muahahahah!"

Scary.

Last I brought it up he wanted me to eat raw onions.  Yikes!
But I'm sure we can figure out a fun way to celebrate it. :)  I'll update once this happens!  
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Priest of Bast-Mut ║ Fedw ║ Sau ║ Fundraising ☥
www.BastMut.org

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »
I've got my plans. Something with onions, and possibly burning her some prayers. Thanks for ideas Shefyt! ^_^
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senedjem »

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »
If I'm able to this year, I'll be making baked onions. (They are really, really yummy and not as harsh tasting as raw ones.)
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:25 am »
Hmm, I'm thinking I'll be doing some execration heka, prayerwork, and dedicate a drawing. I'm not a fan of onions (but I LOVE garlic) so I may have to get creative with that aspect of the holiday. :f Maybe I'll also draw myself eating an onion haha.
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:34:14 am »
I never had luck getting in touch with Bast; I don't think anyone can convince a cat to be affectionate to them if the cat just isn't interested, lol.    

This holiday might be a good time to attempt it again though, maybe with all the group energy she will be feeling expansive :)  Plus I just think the smell of frying/browning onions is one of best cooking smells ever, twist my arm to do it :P

Offline Rev. Tawa'u

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2013/02/baked-bloomin-onion.html We MIGHT make this, which would be really fun.

Does anybody know of an alternative to burning paper?  My fiance doesn't have a fire place and the fire pit is covered in snow. :(  I've been racking my brain.
www.BastMut.org

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »
You could simply shred it as fine as possible and tossing it into a river? Or, the ancients liked to bury theirs sometimes?
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

Offline Rev. Tawa'u

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
That's a good idea too!  
Had a talk with the man, we're gonna burn our paper "onions" outside and the snow will stop any bad fires.
www.BastMut.org

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »
This is the first time I'll be celebrating this festival as an 'official' daughter of Bast. I want to do something special and I already have the whole day (sort of) planned.

In the morning before I leave for college I'll do informal worship and offer Her a prayer. When I come home I'll purify and do Senut more geared towards Her, and then I'll be having dinner with my Mama.
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:58 am »
I made arrangements to see my maternal grandma and go to a French restaurant for dinner before I realised 4 March was chewing onions for Bast. I'll be trying French onion soup if it's on the menu.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:44:34 am by Demaimuti »
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298666
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything