collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Altars in College Dorms  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Altars in College Dorms
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:38 pm »
So, I'm in my junior year of high school, and that's obviously going to end very soon. Currently, my altars are both in my bedroom, since that's the only place I have to put them (my mother and stepfather don't want to see them, and my stepbrother has a habit of stealing things, so), but I doubt I'll have room in a tiny college dorm that I'm going to be sharing with someone who might not even be very accepting of my religion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Altars in College Dorms
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:56 pm »
First, you're not going to be able to use incense or live candles in a dorm. You can get around this by using battery operated candles and essential oils on a diffuser. You also don't have to have a permanent altar setup, especially if you have a roommate who might not be amenable to your practices. If that happens, find a box to store all your needed tools and icons. There is also no shame in doing this and you don't "lose points" for not having something up at all times. The gods and spirits understand.

Something else you can do which may help is designate a small place among your stuff to keep a glass of cool water for the ancestors. Change it weekly and say some kind of prayer and/or acknowledgement for them before you set it down.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Re: Altars in College Dorms
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:36 pm »
Just wanted to sing my praises of battery candles... They make them in all different sizes, so you could potentially find one small enough to fit in a box with your other ritual tools.

When I had to use a mini shrine I used a wooden craft box (easy to find at craft stores) to store my tools and icons. I actually got a rectangular one with a hinged door, and was able to set it up so that it was like opening a shrine cabinet. My icons could be standing up and everything, it was really nice. Another reason I like the wooden boxes- you can paint them to really make your shrine personal, or keep it plain if that suits you. :)
Senebty,
Mehinefertemra (Nefertem-Ra fills me)
Son of Nefertem-Ra
Beloved of Set
Blog|Facebook|Tumblr

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955