Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 87
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Easter traditions  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
Easter traditions
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:27 am »
Em hotep everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma I am hoping you all can help with.  Every 'big' holiday my aunt, who is very 'religious', goes on facebook and blasts whatever holiday it is.  She puts up posts about how wicked all of the holidays are and even went so far as to call Easter sick this year. She puts up links to obviously hateful groups who for some reason pick on Ba'al on awful lot. I am always respectful even though I have never hidden my religion.  I am looking for some accurate non-hateful information on these holidays and their origins.  I don't want to blast her or anything I just want to give her some information that isn't so hateful to everyone that doesn't think like her.  I doubt I will change her mind I am just hoping that maybe she can stop being so judgmental.  Thank you to anyone that can help me out!

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
Re: Easter traditions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:24 pm »
I think anyone who is so fundamental Christian that they decry their own holidays in their fanaticism is beyond the scope of information to counter them.

I wonder if it would be more successful if you went in the other direction in your efforts to keep the peace and yet promote thought and perhaps tried to get her to discuss/describe each holiday's religious meanings according to Christian doctrine.  Meeting her halfway may encourage her to look more into the meat of her beliefs instead of flying blindly to judgments in a damning fashion, and *when* she looks at them, the meaning she is "defending" either will be there or it won't, and may or may not clash with her own presentation or values.  

Guiding her away from knee-jerk villifing to actual spiritual meditating could be the better shift to gift her with, and might be *slightly* less crazy-making for you: they aren't going to change.

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:04 pm »
I have tried to ask her questions and she either doesn't know where she heard something or sends me to find sites that just ooze hate.  I know she won't change I just want to maybe give her some information to throw out there that isn't so hateful.  Honestly I am just ready to kick her off my friends list so I don't have to deal with it.  I figured I would try this as a last ditch effort to make some peace.  

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
if i were you, i'd unfollow her on facebook -- that way she won't know you did it, but you won't have to see her posts. arguing with that kind of person is like wrestling with a pig: you get dirty, and the pig enjoys it.

(also, my general feeling on holidays is that i don't really care where they came from; i care what they mean to the people i celebrate them with.)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:56 pm »
That's exactly my view on holidays too   :grin:  I hadn't thought about just not following her that's a great idea I may just do that instead of giving her more ammo to throw at me lol.

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:08 am »
 Em hotep!

I had that problem with my uncle a lot. He'd post Christian literature constantly, and some very poorly thought out comics. I've always been honest about what I was on my own Facebook, but I didn't really take offense at it until he put up a particular one that stated this country is Christian, and non-Christians should get out. I mentioned what our country was founded on; religious freedom, and what our laws state. I also ended up mentioning Jesus would probably be disappointed at comics like that being used to represent his religion, because it's so full of hate rather than the love he preached.

I unfriended him after it became obvious that he really felt that way. We still talk, of course, we just don't talk religion anymore.

I hope it goes well.

Senebty,
Rawy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline Mutireshwi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »
Quote from: thefisherfool
I think anyone who is so fundamental Christian that they decry their own holidays in their fanaticism is beyond the scope of information to counter them.

I wonder if it would be more successful if you went in the other direction in your efforts to keep the peace and yet promote thought and perhaps tried to get her to discuss/describe each holiday's religious meanings according to Christian doctrine.  Meeting her halfway may encourage her to look more into the meat of her beliefs instead of flying blindly to judgments in a damning fashion, and *when* she looks at them, the meaning she is "defending" either will be there or it won't, and may or may not clash with her own presentation or values.  

Guiding her away from knee-jerk villifing to actual spiritual meditating could be the better shift to gift her with, and might be *slightly* less crazy-making for you: they aren't going to change.

It's a yes-and-no about the holidays being 'their own'. Christ's birth? Christian. Yule-logs, decorated trees with gifts beneath them? Pagan. His birth was also not on Dec 25th; not even close. It was 'stationed' there in order to squat on Yule/the Winter Solstice. Christ's death on the Cross is Christian, but His death and subsequent Resurrection? Christian - AND Pagan! He's not the only Dying God. However, bunnies and colored eggs are purely Pagan. The reason for this 'melding of memes' was to make what was the new religion of Christianity more palatable to targeted populations where pillaging and burning was not feasible.

Awesome Sauce for this old Pagan, but to a Fundie who knows things, it's a reason to throw.

The rest of what you wrote is bang-on. I call it 'going Anthropologist'. When I'm faced with a person who wants to convert me, I *know* we're not going to convince one another that we're right. Each of us has our own separate reality. I make it a point to come close to the experience that person seems to have had. I can do that because at one point, *I* was a Fundie (Seventh-Day Adventist variety). I know, in a very general way, how they think.

In other words, I make the conversation not about me, and my *wicked, wicked* ways, but about them and their experience of the Divine. People LOVE to talk about themselves (me included! ;-P)

By doing this, I have successfully avoided Teh Lecture, while at the same time allowing the other person to feel like they've Done their Duty by their God.

The upside to all of this is that you keep your emotions out of it; your religious experience is your own, and not subject to debate by another person. You are keeping it that way. What you are talking about - at their initiation - is *their* religious experience. You're asking, because maybe you don't truly know, and you're curious. Like a Vulcan. ;-)

Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Bast her Hekatawy | (AUS)

Meryt Djehuty her Heru-sa-Aset

"My Mothers are my joy"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything