Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Children's books  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
Children's books
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »
Em hotep,

I am wanting to start teaching my oldest about all the different Gods and Goddesses.  I have books for several other religions but am having trouble finding a really good book for Kemet.  Any references I get are much appreciated.

Senebty

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
Re: Children's books
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
Not exactly a 'book' recommendation (I'm still looking), but Temwaenbast's comic about Netjeru is pretty kid-friendly, funny, to topic and accessible to wide readership, so as a first entry-to-Kemet it totally might do :P
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »
Thank you, that sounds perfect! Do you have a link for it?

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:24:54 pm »
I haven't read it, don't own it (yet) and therefore can't vouch for it personally, but I have been *extremely* curious about this book:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/treasury-of-egyptian-mythology-donna-jo-napoli/1114194522?ean=9781426313806

The recommended ages is 8-12, and I've never laid eyes on it myself, but the excerpts I've read in reviews of it are just wonderful.  The language is beautiful and fascinating with an absolutely amazing cadence in the few snippets I've seen quoted. The author writes as if she's speaking, and I think that is SO important to the experience of and making readers connect with myths, and it just seems like an amazing storytelling experience for kids of all ages.

....I should just go buy it for myself already really, I've been almost hypnotically intrigued by it enough. SHINY STORIES! :D

Plus it sounds like there's informational sidebars throughout guiding further learning about Kemet, and I can't imagine anything National Geographic puts out wouldn't be educationally excellent.

(Why did I just write a glowing review of a book I haven't actually read?  If you buy it and it turns out to be total rubbish, don't sue me for false advertising! LOL.)

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:31 pm »
Em hotep *henu*

I have that book. And though I've not read it all, I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read and think it's really good.
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:09 am »
There are a couple of books I have enjoyed which are children orientated.

1)   The Star Bearer
2)   Cry of the Benu Bird
3)   Growing Up in Ancient Egypt
4)   Egyptian Gods and Goddesses  
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Dorothy

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
I've read The Treasury of Egyptian Mythology and I thought it was excellent. I'd also like to second Rev. Raheri's recommendations The Star Bearer and Cry of the Benu Bird which both tell Kemetic creation stories.

A couple of others that I can vouch for that I've collected for my son are:

Tutankhamen's Gift by Robert Sabuda (which is blatantly polytheism positive which is very unique for a modern children's book)

Spend the Day in Ancient Egypt by Linda Honan (which is full of fun hands on crafts and activities with a Kemetic religious theme - and for Bast devotees the day in question is a festival of Bast!)

The Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt by Leonard Everett Fisher is a pretty good introduction to some of the Netjeru for younger children, however there are lot of important deities missing (Bast, Sekhmet, Amun to name just a few), and the Set section is problematic and overly simplistic at best. I still think it's pretty good, just use some parental guidance with this one.

The Winged Cat by Deborah Nourse Lattimore is a fun storybook about the power of words and reading involving a journey through the Duat. My only caveat is that the author refers to the goddess Bast as "Bastet" and the temple cat in the story as "Bast" as if Bast is a derivative of Bastet.

Hieroglyphics from A to Z by Peter Der Manuelian which teaches both the English alphabet and serves as a really cool introduction to hieroglyphics.

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:08 am »
Quote from: Sinfath
Thank you, that sounds perfect! Do you have a link for it?

Sure thing. It's at netjeru.comicgenesis.com.~
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Sinfath

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »
Thank you everyone!  These all look so great. Thank you Dorothy for your reviews on the books, that will help a lot.  I have started looking through the comic and it is adorable Vaalea.  Thank you for the links Rev. Matt, I can never seem to find anything without them :)  Thank you thefisherfool and Darytessekmet for your recommendation as well, that does look really good, and being form National Geographic is a great point.

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:51 am »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:02 pm »
When Bu was little, she really liked Scarab's Secret, as well as Cry of the Benu Bird and The Starbearer.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:11 am »
I feel obligated to come back to this. I finally got my hands on a copy of the National Geographic "Treasury of Egyptian Mythology" book for a decent price.

This is gonna sound terribly superficial, but the artwork is horribly ugly. I have high hopes for children book artwork and this one has these paper cut-out type things that are just awful. I don't know if this is the standard styling for this Treasury series or what, but its disappointing given how beautiful Ancient Egyptian art is and what they could have done.

The writing really is beautiful. Mediatative, lyrical. I think the same writing that makes it lovely for adults might make it frustrating for a reading-age child to tackle on their own, though. There's a few times I missed grokking the rhythm they were aiming for and I don't know that a kid would recognize what the writing was trying to do in the first place.

I also expected just a little more education tucked in there since it's Nat Geo brand product.

All in all, I'm not displeased, but at the same time I'm glad I didn't pay full list price.  If you can get it for around $16/$17 bucks go for it.  It uses the more authentic versions of the names, it's worth it for that and as beautiful stream of consciousness grown up reading.

The artwork is completely friggin tragic, though.

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »
I have a page on my website, www.hethert.org, for Kemetic Kids, and on the left side bar is a link to Book Reviews, with reviews of kids' books by House of Netjer members.

Hope this helps!
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3019
  • stats Total Posts: 289947
  • stats Total Topics: 19673
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112