collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Vedantan mysticism versus Egyptian in practice  (Read 1466 times)

Vedantan mysticism versus Egyptian in practice
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »
In Vedas/Vedanta/Buddhist history, due to the secretive nature of most "higher" teaching (You are divine/All but the self is delusion), arguably a majority of non-priestly worshippers were consciously practicing polytheism/henotheism with an aim to practical result. That is, they didn't worship a particular God because that God represented divinity within but because that God is up in the sky and ready to send some good crops your way with the right sacrifice or the right heaven.

Due to the very nature of mysticism, this seems like a natural state of affairs. It can takes years to understand such seemingly simple sentences and many, even upon understanding it, find it of no significance. The non-mystic interpretation of "Big Guy in the Sky" satisfies most men's basic existential needs.

My question has to do with one substantial difference between the spread of the Vedas through teachers/fathers and Kemeticism: the phyle system of Egypt made it so that "commoners" were able to participate in priestly rituals and work in a temple without economic/social sacrifice that came with mentor/tutor relationships.

It is fashionable to speak of Ancient Egypt's success as attributable to Kemetic mysticism, but do was the phyle system really enough to instill mysticism upon the population at large? Or was it that the mysticism was influential in that it oriented the attitudes of ruling elite? I can't help but feel the phyle system was primarily a means of organizing labor as opposed to attempting mass indoctrination.
A student of Egypt seeking to improve his understanding.

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Vedantan mysticism versus Egyptian in practice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »
I really don't think the term "mysticism" is appropriate when discussing religion in antiquity.  In order for a culture to have mysticism, there must be a cultural notion that there is a large physical/metaphysical separation between humans and the divine.  That's what mysticism is looking to achieve -- literal proximity to divinity.  

Based on that definition, I would disagree entirely with the idea that the Abrahamic "big guy in the sky" is not a mystical notion.  Rather, it is a notion that is necessary for mysticism to exist.  
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal