collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Secret names  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
Secret names
« on: May 19, 2014, 02:37:52 pm »
Em Hotep, everyone! ^_^
I know everyone has a secret name, and not always this person knows it.
Is there a way to find/get my secret name? As far as my knowledge spreads, the secret name is either chosen by the person, or given by a deity. Is it correct?
In addition - I know these names are words of power and mustn't be revealed to anyone. How are they used in rituals? If I remember right, in specific places in the book of the dead, a person must pronounce his/her secret name.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
Re: Secret names
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:22:54 pm »
Em hotep Gleb,

I'm... not entirely sure what you mean by 'secret names'? Do you mean the name of the Ba, or the names of the Ka serving as shemsu names, or something else entirely?

TL:DR all names are hekau. They're carrying a portion of your existence and allowing it to manifest, they're formative of you and the world around you, and deserve to be treated with proper respect, as they're part of what upholds one's life. How *specifically* to nurture them depends greatly on the nature of the name, for which purpose they're given, and in which context.
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:33:41 pm »
Em Hotep,

If you are speaking of the "Ren" name...well, knowing that "secret name" is a HUGE responsibility. It is heka at its purest, but that also means that you CANNOT use the power willy nilly. Take the story of Aset trying to gain Ra's Ren. She had to poison Him in order to get it, but He also made sure that She is held accountable for her actions and use/ abuse of that power. Not being overly familiar with it, I cannot give you more details than that.

Now, if you're talking about our Shemsu names (Mine is Maretemheqat), that is different. While it does hold a "secret" to it, that's up to me to find it, even though it was given to me by my spiritual Parent. Everyone knows it, but only I know the secrets behind it. :)

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:43:27 am »
So... there are two names after all....
Actually, in the beginning I meant the Ren name. As in the story of Aset and Re mentioned above.

But since you mentioned the shemsu names, I will appreciate it, if you tell about them too. :)

I have so much to learn about Kemetism! It's a great feeling. =^_^=
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:28:59 am »
Em Hotep Gleb,

Shemsu literally means "Followers", and you can read the kemet.org entry on Shemsu here.  The name you are given comes after the Rite of Parental Divination in which you take a vow to serve your Parent God(s) and serve their fellow remetj and shemsu within Kemetic Orthodoxy.

This is like a modern rite of passage for Kemetic Orthodoxy, as a sort of "welcome to the community" sort of thing. Everyone knows you by your shemsu name, and your shemsu name does have a meaning to it. It is your job to figure out what secrets that name holds that are important to you. Weather they are just variations on puns (Because the language of the ancients had many variations on the same word, with only slightly different meanings, which can change the whole context of a name), or they are the secrets to a life path full of fulfillment and happiness, that is up to you to find and act upon.

In this context, finding the Ren name may not be necessary, and one could spend their entire lifetime learning about the secrets of their shemsu name.

I hope this helps you further.

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:36:20 am »
As a followup to what Maret explained very well, it is not required of Kemetic Orthodox to become Shemsu after undertaking the Rite of Parent Divination. Becoming Shemsu, taking those vows and receiving the Shemsu name are not automatic follows from the RPD. One must decide to want to become a Shemsu--and becoming a Shemsu is most decidedly *not* about receiving the name. The Shemsu vows are the important factor--the name is the symbol of those vows. And Shemsuhood, the entire package of it, decision, vows and name, is a very big responsibility.

Then again, living as a believer in god e.g. looking after one's family and community and serving the gods, is a big responsbility whether one is Kemetic, Kemetic Orthodox, or following any other spiritual practice.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02:42 am »
What Rev. Sedjemes said. :)

~Maret
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:02:57 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »
Quote from: Maretemheqat
Em Hotep Gleb,

Shemsu literally means "Followers", and you can read the kemet.org entry on Shemsu here.  The name you are given comes after the Rite of Parental Divination in which you take a vow to serve your Parent God(s) and serve their fellow remetj and shemsu within Kemetic Orthodoxy.,

Em hotep Maret,
Firstly, I apologize for possible source of confusion for Gleb with my question, though I'm confused.

I was under the impression that the Shemsu oath binds one to serve their Parent God(s) first and foremost, and that's *it*, that was what was oath-bound; fellowship being a mandatory part of shemsu-hood (at least under new guidelines), but definitely not *oath-bound*, more like something one simply does as a part of community. Serving the community as specifically *vow*, being rather a part of Shemsu-Ankh vows (of which though, I don't have necessary knowledge as never having taken them.)

May you (or anyone) please clarify then? I'm bit confused, if something has changed diametrally from the time I've been shemsu or my understanding was flawed all time long about this, feh.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Vaalea »
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:45:33 am »
Quote from: Vaalea

Em hotep Maret,
Firstly, I apologize for possible source of confusion for Gleb with my question, though I'm confused.

I was under the impression that the Shemsu oath binds one to serve their Parent God(s) first and foremost, and that's *it*, that was what was oath-bound; fellowship being a mandatory part of shemsu-hood (at least under new guidelines), but definitely not *oath-bound*, more like something one simply does as a part of community. Serving the community as specifically *vow*, being rather a part of Shemsu-Ankh vows (of which though, I don't have necessary knowledge as never having taken them.)

May you (or anyone) please clarify then? I'm bit confused, if something has changed diametrally from the time I've been shemsu or my understanding was flawed all time long about this, feh.

Em Hotep Valeea,

No worries. It is always good to ask questions when you're not clear on something. Better that than be in confusion and make a commitment to something that you're not fully aware of. :)

There is a   Wikipedia  article on Kemetic Orthodoxy which does discuss the various implications of Shemsu-hood. Yes, you take that vow to put the Gods of Kemet before any others (NB: It does not REPLACE another God from another Pantheon, let me make that clear), and that would be appropriate given that Shemsu-hood is about becoming a full member of the House of Netjer, that some sort of vow to 'serve' your fellow Shemsu would be a part of that. 'Service' is different between people. Note I say different.
Shemsu-hood is in two parts- The RPD, and the Shemsu vow from the Naming Ceremony. Hence why you have some people who are "Divined Remetj" rather than Shemsu, because they have been Divined through the RPD, but have not under gone the Shemsu Naming Ceremony. The Naming Ceremony and acceptance of the RPD results are what makes you Shemsu, which makes you part of this community, That of the House of Netjer, within Kemetic Orthodoxy. Its a formal and public declaration to join the community.

This is not to say that a person HAS TO become Shemsu. Far from it. Remetj and Divined Remetj are just as important as those who are Shemsu and Shemsu Ankh. They provide a different aspect of service towards the Gods and other Friends of the Nation of Kemet. Note how I say different, not lesser.

Speaking of Shemsu-Ankh, the kemet.org page explains its significance.

Hope this helps.

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline ubenet

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:33:48 am »

as i understand it, at least, your understanding is correct.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:02:51 pm »
Quote from: ubenetsenu

as i understand it, at least, your understanding is correct.

My understanding as well.  There were two "Shemsu" oaths I took.  One was after RPD when I vowed to serve the Gods of my RPD "first but not only".  And the second at the naming ceremony where I vowed to "learn the secrets of my name and keep them well."   Service to others isn't part of the Shemsu vows, to my understanding.  

Also, it's accepting the former vow that makes you a Shemsu.  This happens at the time of the RPD.  People who become Divined Remetj choose not to take that vow at that time.  It's not that they decided not to be named.  It's by taking that first vow that you become eligible for naming.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:13:50 pm by Tasedjebbastmut »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 05:14:24 pm »
This begs a question I've been wondering about naming.  Is naming an absolute part of Kemetic Orthodox shemsu-hood, like if you opt to become shemsu you must also be named, and to not be named would make you something other than shemsu? And is it essential that you go by it?  I understand that it's asking you divine parents what they want to call you and that naturally one would want to use it in spirit-side interactions, but--okay, my frame of reference here is the Roman Catholic practice of confirmation naming, that is your faith name, but you don't actually use it, at least no-one but one friend of mine who considered orders did. Can you take Shemsu vows and eschew being named, or be named but continue to use something simple in the community and forums and your shemsu name only when in shrine?  Because honestly with the exception of one or two that shorten neatly they are all very foreign to a tongue raised on modern English, abbreviate in confusing ways, and very often I have to triple check who I'm speaking to because many of them look similar to someone who does't understand kemetic language. I get that a big point of being named is to tease the meanings out of it, but can a person do that independently and still go by Joe Bob in the community if they choose?  Or is the only way to do that to remain a Remetj and not level-up shemsu? (or else cross your fingers that you get something that shortens to Joe?)

It doesn't matter to me, not for a very long while at least, but I've been curious about it as I still have trouble with them.

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 05:55:01 pm »
Thank you to Maret, Taji and Ubenet for your thoughts on the topic, it's helpful to know I'm not alone in that reading of our oathing process.

Thefisherfool, you're free to undergo (or not undergo) the Naming as you see fit. You're no less a valid Shemsu if you don't undergo the Naming, the Naming is simply presenting you to the community, of the Gods, of our kemetic ancestors, and each other as members of the same faith.

It's like saying 'Hello I'm so-and-so', but it's by no means an obligatory process. You may not be interested in a shemsu name for a multitude of reasons or not use it after and these are all very valid choices that have nothing to do with what'd 'the Gods think', and everything to do with your personal comfort levels and naming traditions and decisions. Teal;deer, don't stress, it's up to you, and you're no less a commited and welcome person because of your choices.
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:26 pm »
What Vaalea said.  :)

I remember when I got named I really wanted a name that had a nickname that wasn't just the full name without the God's name and a nickname that looked like a real name to my modern non-Kemetic eyes.

I got both in one, so I don't wonder sometimes if our Parents take our desires into account.

Senebty,

Tasedjebbastmut / Taji

(I was given the choice of "Tasedjeb" or "Taji".  It wasn't a hard choice.  When I got my name, I could barely pronounce it.  I can now though and I like it very much.)  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:24:57 pm by Tasedjebbastmut »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3504
  • stats Total Posts: 304372
  • stats Total Topics: 21163
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal