Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: "Practical Egyptian Magic" by Murry Hope  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Deniz

• Remetj
"Practical Egyptian Magic" by Murry Hope
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:49 pm »
Is there anyone who has read the book "Practical Egyptian Magic" by Murry Hope here?
Could it be considered a good book to learn about egyptian religion?

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: "Practical Egyptian Magic" by Murry Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »
Em hotep, Deniz!

I have that  book.  I would only recommend it if you were into a very "new age" way of looking at it.  It seems that Hope is more into looking at the Gods as archetypes rather than deities.  It kind of helped me at the time I read it years ago but really has nothing to do with how I pratice my religion today, if that helps.

Senebty,

~Meza~
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

Offline Deniz

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »
Thank you Mezaenaset :)

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »
"Practical Egyptian Magic" was one of the 2 books I poured over as an adolescent when I first found the netjeru. I don't remember much about it now, except that it was pretty ceremonial magic based and dealt a lot on Hermetic theory from what I recall more than the religion.  I dusted it off and tried to re-read it a year or two ago as an adult but lacked interest as it isn't particularly religiously useful and I'm not big on magic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:26:55 pm by thefisherfool »

Offline Deniz

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:32 am »
Ok.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »
I never read Ms. Hope's book, I have seen the book Egyptian Magic by E. A. Wallace Budge. This book was written in the 19th century. It has been reported that he and his group would honor the Gods in the basement of the British Museum after the staff went home at the end of the day.
A follower of the GODS for a couple of decades.

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:16:31 am »
Em Hotep Alan,

While a great deal of Sir Wallace Budge's books are available for free, they are not considered particularly reliable sources of information on the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet. There are some cases where Budge's Christian influence is very prevalent when he retells the stories of Kemet, as well as some data that he incorrectly translated some of the hieroglyphs... if he even translated them at all. I've repeatedly heard that his students did most of the work for him.

That said, Budge's work is good for a basic introduction to the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet, but nothing more. I would not take his word as law. For that, I would look at Wilkonson's The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt.
For book on the magic aspect of practice, I will defer to someone with more knowledge than me on that. While I have some books, they do tend towards the more "New Agey" type of publications, rather than the historical.

Edited to add: http://www.kemet.org/resources/recommended-reading  there is a book list that the House of Netjer recommends for reading if you're interested in religion in Kemet (Egypt).

Senebty,
~Maret
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:19:34 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2979
  • stats Total Posts: 286855
  • stats Total Topics: 19443