collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Akhu Identification  (Read 3218 times)

Akhu Identification
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
How do you know if your passed loved ones or ancestors are Akhu or not?
Akins

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Akhu Identification
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:27:02 pm »
Hotep Akins.

In its most basic answer, if you remember them, then they are akhu. For if they did not become akhu, they would cease to exist and we would have no memory of that person.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »
Hotep Rev. Raheri,

Could you elaborate more on that? I'm really interested in the akhu, but I'm struggling a little on how to work with them since I knew so few of my deceased relatives before their deaths (most of the names I say during the akhu libation in Senut belonged to people who died before I was born, or are my partner's recently deceased relatives who I did not know well if at all).

Nevertheless, I feel strongly that I need to work with the akhu in order to "progress" in my faith, so to speak. Would you have any suggestions on how to do that? (Bearing in mind that I am estranged from the vast majority of my still living family.)

Whoops, that got long. Sorry to hijack your post here, Akins! Just tell me to shut up if I get too chatty.

Senebty,

Phoenix
- Ha'aut, "Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.
Carrd | LGG translation project

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »
Not wanting to inject sad creepiness into this conversation, but wouldn't you be able to remember people who died but decided against judgment and became mu'et?

And if remembered people are Akhu by definition because people wouldn't remember them if they didn't pass Judgment, does that go for history's most notorious villains too?  I mean, they very well may be.  But thinking about the whole thing makes by head hurt.  I never quite understood how the inherent paradoxes in ceasing to exist get resolved.  I mean say Joe Hotep's dad was the worst so and so around.  He was evil.  He relished his evil. And was just arrogant enough to think he could game Judgment.  He failed and Ammit had a snack.  Does Joe now no longer remember his dad?  How does he explain his own existence?  Or is it more fluid than that?  Joe's original dad is erased from existence and time and reality reforms such that Joe now has a different dad and always did.  Or maybe there isn't even Joe or at least not the same Joe?  Like the Susan Cooper books that asserted that time wasn't strictly linear and that the future can affect the past.  Or the wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff of the 10th Doctor.  

Ow.

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:53:35 pm by Tasedjebbastmut »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »
There are tons of ancestors.  Not just the ones you personally knew.  Here is a great book on ancestor veneration called Weaving Memory: A Guide to Honoring the Ancestors by Laura Patsouris.  

Here is the link:  http://www.asphodelpress.com/book.html?title=weaving-memory

Also this book: Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition by Tobe Melora Correal  has a great section on ancestor work.  The section is like 1/3 of the book.  

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:55:38 pm »
The Akhu are the blessed dead, and those who are not Akhu have not, according to KO, passed through the hall of judgement. They are not blessed and can often be hostile to my understanding. This is one reason why I don't believe some of my loved ones are Akhu, because on every occasion I have honored and called on them, some treat me hostile, whereas some are very nice to me.
Akins

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:59:14 pm »
I dunno.  I think sometimes if you were a jerk in life, you might still be a jerk after death.  But simply being a jerk isn't enough to not pass judgment.  You have to be consciously, deliberately, and unrepentantly evil.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:01:22 pm »
I tried to keep my answer simple, but my simplicity may have elicited confusion.

Taji - I agree that people that were jerks in life are probably jerks in the afterlife as well. I would like to think that maybe we have some sort of awakening of wisdom, but from my experience they generally act the same. Maybe it takes time to figure stuff out in the afterlife, which may be a lot longer than we spend here in the Seen. However I believe 99.9% of people are not fed to Ammit (or whatever theological construction this is - I am not much for the literal interpretation of myths of the afterlife).

Akins - In my entire life, I have only encountered 2-3 occasions were a mueet was at work. I very much doubt that a majority of souls choose this path. I feel we all too often talk about these souls - giving them attention, thus increasing their power in our lives - than we do about the ancestors who do love and care for us. Often we disregard their presence in our lives. If a spirit treats you with hostility, then send that spirit back out of your house. You should never be treated with hostility from the living or the dead.

Tahekerut - I read that book by Correal! Excellent suggestion.
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »
Ooh, thank you for the book recs.
- Ha'aut, "Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.
Carrd | LGG translation project

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 05:32:43 pm »
Akins, I agree with Raheri here - if they mistreat you in any way, you have every right to want them out of your life and / or household, and to maintain that boundary.

I've had some relatives of mine become akhu and I still wasn't comfortable with their presence nearby as our relationship in life wasn't one of the safest, and the boundaries *got* enforced with the help of other akhu. The status of dead people as elevated of some sort, doesn't still mean you have to accept them; that they passed the judgment doesn't automatically make them wholely transformed, and most of all, you still have the right to your well being and peace *first*. They are the dead; it's part of their responsibility to not disturb the living, but support life from their position of other side of it. (At least in my opinion and ymmv.)

Senebty,

Merry
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124