collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Your perception of Wepwawet  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
Your perception of Wepwawet
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:13 pm »
I'm curious about how you guys perceive Wepwawet. To me he comes as a deity who opens some doors and closes others. The one who try's to navigate us throughout our lives. A deity who is the master of strategy in every form. That's what I get from him and I'm just wondering if others feel the same way and if not what do you get from him. How do you view Wepwawet etc?  
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Bast, beloved of Wesir, Hethert-Sekhmet, and Set.

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
Re: Your perception of Wepwawet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
I've always viewed Wepwawet in the role of a hero. And while I generally avoid casting any gods into archetypal roles since there is inevitably so much more to them, sometimes it really does work towards clarifying a particular aspect. Wepwawet is the one who goes forth, who overcomes all obstacles, and who returns victorious. The results of his actions always end up being for the benefit of others. All the stages of the hero archetype are there and it can be seen in all the different mythological situations in which he acts. There's a stela in which this is actually quite explicit too, where in his form of Wepwawet-Re he is seen literally rescuing a man from a crocodile! Very cool stuff.

He has a real nobility about him, even while being one of the most down to earth deities around. He's just incredibly uplifting and keen to help, it makes me smile every time I so much as think about him. There's so much more to him than the most common translation of his name implies. :)
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:58 pm »
Em hotep, Lariany!

I do love talking about Wepwawet! :grin: I also see Him as the Opener of Ways, who can open the doors we want opened and close those which would harm us. I have always seen Him as very wise and cunning; the way I see it, if He is going to guide us and open all the doors in the world, He has to know where all the doors are and how to get there first. I actually associate Him a lot with the study of physics - He opens the way for things to move forward in a very literal way, in my mind!

Some of his epithets can attest to that, as well. They attest to His wisdom, or strength in battle, or knowledge of mysteries and secrets.

I have experienced Him in many of His roles - in my experience He is subtly different when He is acting in different capacities. Some people find Him to be a bit bawdy or raunchy; sometimes I have found Him to be sort of Zen-like. I hope others will share their experiences here as He is a very interesting deity to get to know.

I've written quite a bit about my personal experiences with Him on my blog, too -- you can find them here!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
Your right Bezenwepwy, that's how I feel about him. Very wise but at the same time this incredible hero figure.

Sobeqsenu I'm so glad you love talking about him. I feel a special connection to him but I want to learn more and not left myself be too absorbed with him. I'm trying to be open before my RPD but I'll be checking out your blog.  Also some people tend to confuse Wepwawet with Yinepu and I want to get to know of Wepwawet separate from Yinepu.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Bast, beloved of Wesir, Hethert-Sekhmet, and Set.

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »
I've written about him quite extensively on both my website and my blog (as linked in my sig) and I'm always happy to talk about him at length and depth! I firmly believe him to be distinct from Anup as well. It seems to me that most of the commonality they share derives from them both being seen as black jackals.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bezenwepwy »

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:33 pm »

Yes but yinepu is depicted as a black jackal and Wepwawet as a grey, or brown jackal. Though there is some confusion about whether it was a jackal or wolf. Personally I have a hard time seeing him as wolf just because the wolf has been so over used. And I'll check out your blog then to. ^^

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:07 pm »
That's incorrect (the books are wrong.) Wepwawet is every bit the black jackal that Anup is.

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:50 pm »
Was he? Serval sources say that so it's confusing trying to separate truth from fiction. But it's a relief that he's not a wolf. All that teen vampire and wolf stuff just totally put me off from it all.

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »
Before I joined tumblr myself, a friend of mine posted something that I wrote to address the "grey" issue. (I will note that I did find an instance where Anup and Wepwawet are depicted in different colours, but there was still no grey involved.)

And for the wolf issue, I've written about that pretty extensively as well! ;)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:34:20 pm »
I thought I was hearing from Yinepu but then it appeared the one who is gray is Wepwawet and I definitely saw a gray jackal which caused me some confusion at first! I had no idea there were two for the longest time.  

'Close the doors that harm us' that's been very relevant for me Sobesquenu and a great way to put it. I was really surprised how sort of relaxed in a way he is, Bezenwepwy. Really colloquial and conversational, if that makes sense. And made a good case for his point of view.

art is life

my work

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:40 pm »
So I've been reading your roles of Wepwawet and its so funny because some of those aspects describe my personality and situations I've been through. It's like an eye opener to many situations he might have been at but that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »
The way I experience Wepwawet is like a big, excitable puppy. He's always popping in and out of my life going "oh hey look at this thing YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO THIS THING, OKAY? OKAY" and then disappearing for months. He's not nearly as subtle as Yinepu is, for me. I do experience them similarly, but it takes AGES for me to realize that Yinepu is talking to me, whereas with Wepwawet I seem to notice right away. (Still, I get them confused a lot. I'm not sure exactly which one it was who helped bring me to the House.)

I find Wepwawet very approachable because He'll get excited with and for me when I'm going through new experiences--and He'l be just as disappointed as I am if something goes wrong and they don't work out. He seems to take his "job" very seriously; if He opens the way for us and we end up having a bad time, He takes it very personally and tries to amend the situation. I see Him as a sort of champion for humanity, very similar to Bezenwepwy.

Which, speaking of, thanks for the clarification re: color! I was unaware of that.
- Ha'aut, "Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.
Carrd | LGG translation project

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:40 pm »
I don't get any puppy feeling from him. I get everything we talked about with a hint of fatherly love and compassion. Also a god with a range of emotions but is more understanding than some I guess.

But I think each person brings out an aspect or emotion out of the gods. Like how we can be serious with one person but playful with another. I like hearing how he interacts with others to.

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »
Why yes, yes I can talk about my Dad. The side of Him I get is also the Opener of the Way, and I see Him as very much about potential and possibilities. I don't think I have said this in public before, but to me He appears as a God of every man, because He is over experiences all people encounter. He also greatly appreciates when you do things, regardless if they are done perfectly. You made something happen with your effort.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:23 am »
Quote from: Lariany
I'm curious about how you guys perceive Wepwawet. To me he comes as a deity who opens some doors and closes others. The one who try's to navigate us throughout our lives. A deity who is the master of strategy in every form. That's what I get from him and I'm just wondering if others feel the same way and if not what do you get from him. How do you view Wepwawet etc?  

Ah, Wepwawet <3

He's definitely, as the Opener of the Way, a Netjeru who leads me to opportunities and steers me clear of bad choices. However, He also lets me make mistakes in order to learn from them. He's a challenger and loves games, and like has already been mentioned, I see Him as a sort of "hero".
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304030
  • stats Total Topics: 21099
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal