collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 4
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Heqet  (Read 3870 times)

Heqet
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »
What is the significance of the Goddess Heqet? I know she's a fertility Goddess, but what else does she preside over?
Akins

Offline Paysabast

• Shemsu
Re: Heqet
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:25:19 pm »
I would assume children but am baseing that on the fact she is a goddess of childbirth and fertility. If memory serves me well She alao regrants good luck and good fortune.
Senebty :)

Paysabast , Son of Bast and beloved of Renenutet and Set

Offline Rev. Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »
You can read a really great historical overview of Heqat   here at Henadology.

To summarize some of the main points there: fertility is, of course, one of Her primary domains, but also the care of the mother and child after conception, as divine Midwife. She is often depicted as the consort of Khnum, giving life to the human body after Khnum forms it. This sort of creative life force that She imbues (look for images of Her depicted with an ankh in hand, blessing the newly formed human being) can extend to other aspects of our lives.

In personal experience, She helps me "bring life" to my music and sculpting, showing me how to add that extra bit of energy in what I do that it might inspire others, or reach them in a deeper way.

Abundance is another concept often associated with Her. I believe the frog hieroglyph actually translated to thousands (maybe Maret can correct me here if I'm off on the exact number?) but generally, shortly after the Nile's flooding season, thousands of frogs would seemingly emerge from the soil. Thus the frog came to represent a symbolic abundance of life that would also follow in the literal abundance of the harvest of a land well nourished by the overflowing shores.

Hope this helped!
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:02 pm »
I know she's strongly associated with birth and resurrection in the general sense (i.e., not just childbirth, but various kinds metaphorical birth and resurrection as well). If I remember correctly, she's also associated with the primeval mud from which the sun god (who has various identities depending on where/when you are) emerged, and therefore creation.

So yeah; life, fertility, abundance, birth, creation. All that good stuff. She's a very interesting Name.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:34 am »
Em Hotep,

Both Saryt and Pheoenix have described my Mother very accurately. Life, Fertility, Abundance, Creation and Re-birth. She has connections with both Nut and Hethert, along with Serqet and Hapi (The Nile).

Saryt is correct about the frog glyph meaning "thousands" or "many".

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline KuroFrog

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:00:42 am »
Hello! Good day. I have some questions regarding Heqet, but I am afraid to ask her myself because of how horribly abusive things have gotten with me with the last god I attempted to contact. I believe it's possible she sent me a spirit frog when I was just starting out my spiritual journey. (It is significant because it's the only spirit I named.) I've come to realize I am very frog-like in the way that I operate; my elements are earth and water, and my journey seems to be about finding a balance between the two.

I was wondering if someone could ask if this is true? I'd like to meet her one day, my shaman insists I need to be introduced to gods in a sacred way but there's not an actual Kemetic community around me in real life. I saw a big frog smiling at me at my friend's house a few days ago and I'm not really sure what to make of it.   

Thank you oodles for all responses I might get in advance!

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:21:02 am »
Em Hotep Kuro,

This is based of personal experience, and UPG, but;

Honestly? She's actually very easy to approach. Heqat very rarely asks for anything beyond cool water as an offering, and She's not as "chatty" as other Names can be. With me, at least, She is more about presence and communication through memory, emotion and touch.

I'd warn you now, how-ever, that if you are working with Frog as a totem in an Indigenous capacity, that you might want to separate the practice from Kemetic practices. I discussed this at length with Her when I was going through University for my degree in Indigenous studies, and She specifically requested keeping the practices separate. As a bit of background, I had asked Her if She was alright with me offering a sage smudge for incense, to which She said no. In hind-sight, I probably should have known better, but I am still glad I asked before hand.

I will also say that your experiences with Her may be different than other people who experience Her.

I get the vastness of creation and resurrection with Her, while others get the fertility aspects, and yet others still get the pregnancy and midwife aspects.

I hope these help.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:18:57 am »
Em Hotep,

I'm quite interested in Heqet myself too. What offerings would you suggest? I want to introduce myself and say hi as well as see if She would like to have me  around.

Senebty and thanks,
Amaliah

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »
Em Hotep Amaliah!

Cool water is always a good start, but I have offered dried mango and Stargazer lilies with great success. She's actually fond of lilies of any sort, save for those typically associated with the dead (So No on Easter lilies, or white lilies from funeral floral arrangements).

I've also offered Amber and Aloeswood incense as well, and She seems to enjoy them. Morning Star brand is reasonably priced, as is Kayuragi brand incense. Both can be found on Nipponkodostore.com.

She's also fond of the little wooden frog instruments that make the croaking sound with the stick being rubbed against their back.

Just be prepared for the sudden influx of frogs and frog-things that will suddenly show up.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8