collapse collapse

* Donation Status

51%
Current donation status as of October 18, 2021 = $1,830.69 of $2,500 or 73%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Inaction, isfet, and being part of the system.  (Read 11491 times)

Re: Inaction, isfet, and being part of the system.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »
There's no free lunch vegetarian or not. Vegetarianism is still a pretty good start even if it's not perfect. Animal products take significantly more resources, create more waste and effect natural environments more than factory farming vegetables (though factory farming is unsustainable to start with).

At this point in time, living causes immense isfet if you're very strict with that interpretation.  

If something bothers you deeply, do something about it. I think that's the one thing everyone can agree on, though that may take many different directions depending on what you can do at the time.
art is life

my work

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 07:20:03 pm »
Someone mentioned marketing...

After years of not having cable and aggressive adblock on my computer I can say it's made a difference. Something about not being bombarded by public media lets you sit back and think clearly. I visit relatives and it's like I'm on another planet. It's something I highly suggest if it's possible for you to 'shut it all down' even just for a while. It's like a fast for your head.
art is life

my work

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:45 pm »
I will definitely give the book a read Taji, even though it may not change my mind about vegetarianism because its had immense benefits on my personal health. I'll give it a read though. I maybe should have said I wonder if its inconsistent to eat meat products someone else prepares.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 11:24:46 pm »
Quote from: N4ph2
Animal products take significantly more resources, create more waste and effect natural environments more than factory farming vegetables (though factory farming is unsustainable to start with). .  

This is false.  Where did the tall grass prairie go?  It's all plowed over for "corn and beans", fertilized by fossil fuels.    Factory farming anything is bad, whether it has a face or not.  I'm hard pressed to say which is worse from an environmental standpoint, but  I'd lean towards the plants.  Either way, eating locally and sustainably is the ethical way to go whatever it is you choose to eat.

I also think anyone who's a vegetarian for ethical reasons should be aware of how many animals are killed in the process of growing their vegetables and grains.  

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:30:54 pm by Tasedjebbastmut »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:40:31 am »
Oh dear. That book is by Lierre Keith who is...dubious at best. Her citations are from publications that are known to be psuedo-science at best and downright lousy at worst and a lot are from...wikipedia. As my professor would say, wikipedia is not a salable source for academic work. (I'm more familiar with her work from feminist readings, they suffer from similar problems.)

Also if you really want to get into how to 'fix' factory farming I'd suggest books about permaculture. It's probably the best solution we have to fight industrialized farming in the current era. Masanobu Fukuoka wrote some really fascinating books on the subject and his work has been followed up by experimenters and writers from all over the world. Bill Mollison and Holmgrem are probably the most famous Western permaculture advocates. They're from Australia. There are still downsides to this kind of farming but far less than other kinds.
art is life

my work

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:31 am »
Quote from: N4ph2

Also if you really want to get into how to 'fix' factory farming I'd suggest books about permaculture. It's probably the best solution we have to fight industrialized farming in the current era. Masanobu Fukuoka wrote some really fascinating books on the subject and his work has been followed up by experimenters and writers from all over the world. Bill Mollison and Holmgrem are probably the most famous Western permaculture advocates. They're from Australia. There are still downsides to this kind of farming but far less than other kinds.  

I know people who practice permaculture, who in fact were recently using crowdfunding to raise money in order to rebuild a family farm. Part of their permaculture model includes pigs on site to forage. Farm animals, when not in a CAFO model, do wonders for the local ecology, rebuilding topsoil and eating plants which hominids cannot digest.

I'm of the mindset that veg*n diets are very difficult for most of the people of the world unless there is factory farming and mass shipping of out of season produce. Our current world food model wants to ignore fallow seasons and the fact that plots of land cannot be expected to produce quality, nutritious food constantly. Something's going to give. Topsoil is one. Low nutrient food is another.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:41 am »
Wow ok that is really cool. How is that going? Having pigs is a great idea, they're also very smart animals.

art is life

my work

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:53 am »
They only got about 10% of what they were seeking but they continue to blog about Realeyes Homestead.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Paysabast

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:26 am »
I feel sorry for all those poor little chickens in the egg industry. I read a small pamplet about this once and did a little reserch into it and those poor birds are very mistreated. From that point on I get cage free if I can afford it.
Senebty :)

Paysabast , Son of Bast and beloved of Renenutet and Set

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3484
  • stats Total Posts: 303562
  • stats Total Topics: 21040
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal