Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 85
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Why did or didn't you undertake the RPD?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
Why did or didn't you undertake the RPD?
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
There's been a lot of discussion around the 'net lately about the Rite of Parent Divination! I'd love to have some more discussions here, as a resource for current and future members who are considering the RPD.

Questions!
  • What does the RPD mean to you?
  • Why did or didn't you choose to take the RPD?
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Why did or didn't you undertake the RPD?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
What does the RPD mean to you?

For me, the RPD is about joining the KO community. It rebirths you, or inducts you into the community, and assigns gods to you in a similar way that you would have had community, family, and Nome gods in antiquity. So for me, the RPD is less about gods that want to be close to you and more about becoming a part of the community (which is kinda how Shinto works, so it makes sense to me).

Why did or didn't you choose to take the RPD?

Because I view RPD more about community/KO and less about gods that want to be your besties, I didn't really feel comfortable getting an RPD done because I don't feel I fit in well with the KO community. I had absolutely no need to confirm which gods are most present in my life, which is one of the many reasons people get the RPD. Combined with my lack of fitting in with KO, it really just seemed like a no brainer to me. If I had been able to find a niche within KO that worked well for me, I might have considered getting it done (and I toyed around with this idea for a long time). However, that never happened and I moved on to other things. So the RPD is really not even on my radar anymore.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »
RPD, to me, is not just about joining the KO community, as Devo said, but is also about deepening my relationship with my personal Netjer. Since having my RPD, I do feel like more of a member of the community and a whole new level of the relationship with Netjer has opened up for me that was not there prior to my RPD (and it didn't happen overnight afterwards either).

I debated on RPD for a little over a year after finishing the beginner's course. I wanted to make sure that it was the right thing for me to do and that I was not just doing it to join some club so to speak. I talked with several Netjer about it at length before coming to the conclusion that it was the proper next step for me to take. Taking the vow of Shemsu came right along with the RPD for me. For me, RPD has been almost like a gateway into truly knowing "who" I am and "what" I am supposed to be doing that I did not have as much knowledge about before. I still have much to learn and a long way to go, but RPD was right for me in deepening my spiritual practices and knowing myself.
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
Yes, basically what Nima'at Said.  It is about community, yes..and it is about deepening relationship with personal netjer..but it is also, for me, about deepening my relationship with netjer as a whole.  

I also took more than a year to decide.  When I was in the beginner's course, I thought it would be a no-brainer, that OF COURSE I would do it!  But, after my graduation I realized it wasn't that simple, and I went back and forth, debating, many times.  Ultimately for me, my life was not very balanced at the time, and I think this had to happen first.  Recently I have felt an inexplicable "pull" to do the RPD.  I am not sure where it is coming from, but I think it is partially encouragement from Someone, as well as needing that balance before fully being ready, which I now am, and I am glad I waited.  Currently I am scheduled for my RPD and I am really looking forward to it!  
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline Dorothy

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:40 pm »
This is a great topic! Thank you for starting the conversation Khenne. I am really looking forward to what people have to say, as I contemplate undergoing the RPD for myself. At this point, I am leaning toward undergoing it mainly because I've fallen in love with all the Netjeru, and it can be a little overwhelming a times. Narrowing my focus a little bit in some ways is starting to sound kinda nice.

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »
What does the RPD mean to you?
The RPD meant to me (very simply) that these are the gods, in the Kemetic Orthodox context, that created me - somehow, someway, sometime - at that point in time.  

I felt no other commitment to the community or the religion when choosing to undergo the divination.  That commitment was a choice, an ongoing choice, that came later.

Why did or didn't you choose to take the RPD?
I took some time between the ending of my Beginner's Course and sending in my paperwork for the RPD to meditate and consider if this was something I really wanted to do. I had a close relationship with Set (and Set only) at the time, and had the fear of "what if He didn't appear in my RPD?"  I didn't do the RPD until I felt I could accept Him not being there.

If it were not for the results of my RPD, I would not know or have the relationship I have with the gods that appeared in mine, or any that came after.  Set is so loud, very very loud, and so easy for me to hear - it was like my internal god phone was tuned to the Set station and I didn't know how to hear any other god.  The shock from my RPD results encouraged me to figure it out, and I am much more fulfilled because of it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

Offline Katbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »
Quote from: Taqaisenu

I took some time between the ending of my Beginner's Course and sending in my paperwork for the RPD to meditate and consider if this was something I really wanted to do. I had a close relationship with Set (and Set only) at the time, and had the fear of "what if He didn't appear in my RPD?"  I didn't do the RPD until I felt I could accept Him not being there.

I had the same fear that partially kept me from doing the RPD except with Bast. I also had concerns that I would somehow keep someone else from showing up in my RPD because I was soo focused on Bast and Sekhmet.

Undergoing RPD and then the shemsu vow was really a matter of conformation of who was in my life and becoming a bigger part of the community. During the fellowship chats around the RPDs a couple months ago I actually really started participating more in the community. I'm still a terrible lurker rather than regular poster but since the RPD I've been much more active here.
Daughter of Bast, beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Wepwawet-Yinepu

(Bast's plan or Bast's device)

Etsy

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »
An interesting thing that I have noticed is that a good many people who have shared their RPD thoughts have expressed having a a concern or fear of certain Netjer not being in their family. I had the same concerns and the Netjer that I felt closest to are the ones in my family, with the exception of Mut--I don't think we ever talked before my RPD but She has become quite present lately. I am sure that there are some who have had these concerns and the Netjer they felt closest to did not show up but that doesn't seem to be the majority from what I've observed, though I would still advise keeping an open mind and heart and being prepared for any Netjer to claim you as family.
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Em Hotep Everyone,

I just wanted to chime in here with the "Keep an open mind to the results" thought for the RPD.

When I undertook my RPD, I was so sure that I was a child of Djheuty that I didn't think twice about it. I had already purchased an ungodly huge statue of Him (one of the black and gold 17 inch ones) just prior to my RPD being done by Hemet. I'd meditated, though it wasn't as intense as others most likely because I already knew that I wanted to be part of the community.

That said, when Hemet told me the news that Heqat was my Mother, I was stunned. I wasn't disappointed or freaking out, but I was stunned. Considering the things She stands for, I wasn't able to make the connections right away.

I accepted the RPD results anyway; because, like everything in life, much of it is about the learning on the journey. So after being divined a while ago (2004? 2005?) I'm still happy with the decision I made, and the ability to keep an open mind about the results.

Hope this helps some of you.

Senebty,
~Maret
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:07:00 pm by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:55:09 am »
Like Maret and Nima'at, the moment I knew I would accept whatever results came my way (even if Sobek-Ra wasn't anywhere in my Parent or Beloved line up) is when I finally signed up. I had wanted to fully convert not too long after becoming Remetj and enjoying the sense of community from the temple. But like many others, I balked for a while because of the fear.

I got over it. Actually, before my RPD, I had a secret, small hope that I would be divined a child of Aset or Djehuty lol. Not because I didn't want Sobek-Ra to show up, but as I saw it, pre-RPD I was at a crossroads with each path leading to another Name. I was predominantly leaning towards the Sobek-Ra road, but I acknowledged that there were other roads I could go on and that any of them could be my true path.

I kept my questionnaire answers fairly brief and didn't go into my UPG or personal ties to any of the Names I mentioned, like at all. I only brought up their names, a couple reasons why I was drawn to them (all I said for Sobek-Ra was that he brought me to KO and was a comfort during a time of chaos in my life haha) and possible patterns I noticed that could be tied to them.

The RPD to me personally was the next step I needed to take. I felt I could do more for my community and my sense of spiritual self if I fully converted to the temple. It was a doorway.
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3062
  • stats Total Posts: 291625
  • stats Total Topics: 19821
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653