Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 70
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The "Eye of Heru" concept  (Read 2774 times)

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
The "Eye of Heru" concept
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:01 am »
While I'm grilling everybody on things I've been chewing on:  I made the mistake of thinking I was intermediate enough to start reading Richard Reidy's book. 

A lot of people talk about ma'at as being a hazy concept, but I'm finding it's nothing compared to trying to figure out the meaning and function of the Eye of Heru.  At least ma'at you can grasp pretty well from context; the Eye of Heru though, the context is so fluid and shifting I'm having a really hard time pinning it down.

From what I gather, it signifies attention? 

But attention doesn't seem to totally cover it.

Awareness, maybe?

And then that has me begging the question, did the ancients feel they gave awareness and life to the gods, or was it just to call the god's awareness to the ritual procedings, like calling them to attendence?

What understandings of it do other people who've encountered it more have?

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
Re: The "Eye of Heru" concept
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:27 am »
Em Hotep,

I only have limited access to literature, so from Samuel Mercer's translation of the Pyramid Texts

Utterance 29

To say: O N., I have come, I have brought to thee the eye of Horus, that thou mayest equip thy face with it, that it may purify thee, that its odour may (come) to thee. The odour of the eye of Horus is for N.; it drives away thy sweat. It defends thee against the violence (?) of the arm of Set...

From this I have a few theories, on what it may mean (obviously this is an outdated translation but it is all I have to work with at the moment)

Equip thy face with it -This may indicate that the deceased is blind, so Heru offers his eye as the means of sight within the Duat
That is may purify thee- Cleanse the decease in some way, possibly of past transgressions
That its odour may (come) to thee- I have seen extracts of other versions that label 'odour' as 'perfume'.
It drives away thy sweat- nervousness? the need to be confident and assertive, possibly to pass through the gates, or simply the heat of the place, causing the king to sweat and smell, which could be considered not particularly kingly
defends against the violence of the arm of Set- may mean the violent arm of Set, the odour of the eye is a protective substance that drives away anything 'negative'.

Going to follow this thread, seems very interesting

Senebty

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:51 am »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:20:58 pm by Naisenu »

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:29:01 pm »
There are lots of layers to the Eye. Wholeness, protection, restoration, healing, totality and it can be given as an offering as well. So whenever I look at it, I think of those things.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »
There are lots of layers to the Eye. Wholeness, protection, restoration, healing, totality and it can be given as an offering as well. So whenever I look at it, I think of those things.

-Devo

Adding to what you said, Devo, the Eye of Heru can also be used instead of the word offering. 

So Take to Yourself this Eye of Heru is Take to Yourself this Offering.   The Eye of Heru is analogous to all offerings. 

The Eye of Heru heals and restores which is what offerings do: they feed the Kau of both gods and people.  This is why we eat the offerings of the Gods and why we pour libations to Them.  We feed their Kau and our Kau are fed when we partake of the offerings too. 

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra her Mut

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »
Thanks, I knew that it was a protective and healing amulet/concept, since that's sort of the "pop culture" understanding, it's the offering usage that was throwing me.

I guess I'm just still not 100% adjusted to a faith where it's standard that the gods *need* to be fixed back up by people all the time through ritual.  Reciprocal food offerings are common sense enough, it feeds the relationship; the idea of bringing restoration to a deity makes me feel kind of awkward, though!

* Most Recent Topics

topic What's your favorite Holiday?
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Senuwierneheh
Today at 08:38:21 am
topic What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
tewidarma
November 19, 2019, 02:35:29 pm
topic Hi! I'm back
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Emseneteraset