collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: ka and afterlife  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Deniz

• Remetj
ka and afterlife
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:07:38 am »
Em hotep
If the ka needs a place.....what happened to people who died without being able to preserve the body (like dead soldiers in ancient wars for example)?
And what about modern people who don't preserve the body and don't use pics or statues and offerings after death?

I also wonder what ancient egyptian commoners thought about afterlife since not everyone was able to pay for funerary rituals..

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: ka and afterlife
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:16 am »
Preserving the body was one way to ensure enduring memory, not the central point of funerary practice. 
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:29:51 am »
Em Hotep,

I assume they would bring food directly to the graves of their relatives that had died, as the Ka usually stays close of within the body. Try their best to keep them sustained, this way.

I think the level of preservation that the Ancient Egyptians once did, can be seen as impractical and expensive in modern times. The hot and dry climate of Kemet, helped immensely in the preservation of their dead. In the history of UK, where I live, the rainy climate would not be appropriate to have bodies near by that can cause illness and infection to spread, so they would bury them and in Scandinavian lands, when the ground was as hard as rock because of the cold climate, they would burn them. It made sense to do what they did, by the means of their environment.

My personal opinion, Kau, can inhabit objects that are the likeness to themselves, this can be statues, photos, artwork, personal items, anything that belonged to looks like them in life. They don't NEED a body to continue to exist, but it is a convenient place to remind themselves of their life, if there is no other place.

When Queen Hatshepsut passed away, people, who were not a fan of her rule. Had her name scratched out from temples and monuments, images of her were defaced, in a cruel and horrible attempt to erase her memory from existence. From this I see that having the deceased in your thoughts, can help keep them alive, but food obviously being a much larger gesture of appreciation and respect.

After the deceased becomes a Akh. I think they live on regardless of offerings, but this when they may not be happy, if you insult their memory and don't show them appreciation for the life they have given you and cause trouble in your life.

Obviously this is just what I think.

Senebty

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:40:16 am »
Actually when it comes to Hatshepsut keep in mind it took 20+ years after her death for this defacement to happen and even then her name wasn't completely erased.  It wasn't done because she was disliked, it was done to keep the line in tact and for Tuthmose III son to claim his birthright too.  All evidence shows that there was no animosity between her and Tuthmose III.  Her Ka was protected and was give the traditional funeral by her step-son and her Mortuary Temple did serve for her as well.  Just did an essay on this topic.

Sandra Y
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Deniz

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:34 am »
Thank you for have answered my questions with your opinions and knowledge,Neferkara.

@Bestekeni. Yes,I know but I was talking about their ka :)

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:14:03 pm »
Em Hotep,

Oh thank you Sandra. I being reading wrong information then. Do you have sources where I can learn more?

Senebty

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:54:12 pm »
Em hotep.

Very welcome, the 2 best sources I have are Kara Cooney, The Women Who Would Be King and Joyce Tyldesley, Hatshepsut. 

Senebty
Sandra
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3140
  • stats Total Posts: 294315
  • stats Total Topics: 20061
  • stats Total Categories: 8