collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Sheshat's headdress  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
Sheshat's headdress
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »
Em Hotep

Someone on a facebook, decided to put up some information about Sheshat and Her picture. Then someone else commented that Her headdress looked like the cannabis leaf. I mentioned that I thought it was a papyrus plant, which Her connection to record keeping. The original poster states:

Her seven pointed "flower" or "star" is an accurate image of a hemp leaf. The leaf is typically made up of seven points and arranged in the same pattern as the most prominent sign in Sheshat's emblem. Hemp is, and has long been, an excellent material for making ropes with low-stretch quality required for measuring cords, particularly when these are greased to reduce variations in their moisture content which would influence elongation.

The characteristic leaf of the plant used in making these ropes was thus a logical choice for the emblem designer who wanted an easily recognized reference to Sheshat's job. This leaf is so unique that it is hard to confuse with other plants. Hemp is said to be native to Central Asia and its presence in pre-Dynastic Egypt is not otherwise documented. However the hemp leaf in Sheshat's emblem shows that the ancient Egyptian rope-stretchers used hemp for their measuring cords and that Sheshat cannot deny her now illegal patronage and ownership of this psycho-active plant.

I asked for a source and they haven't given one. Is there any truth to this or are they talking out their back end?

Senebty

Offline Meritsekhet

Re: Sheshat's headdress
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »
(double post)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:12:43 pm by Meritsekhet »

Offline Meritsekhet

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:15 pm »
Em Hotep

Someone on a facebook, decided to put up some information about Sheshat and Her picture. Then someone else commented that Her headdress looked like the cannabis leaf. I mentioned that I thought it was a papyrus plant, which Her connection to record keeping. The original poster states:

Her seven pointed "flower" or "star" is an accurate image of a hemp leaf. The leaf is typically made up of seven points and arranged in the same pattern as the most prominent sign in Sheshat's emblem. Hemp is, and has long been, an excellent material for making ropes with low-stretch quality required for measuring cords, particularly when these are greased to reduce variations in their moisture content which would influence elongation.

The characteristic leaf of the plant used in making these ropes was thus a logical choice for the emblem designer who wanted an easily recognized reference to Sheshat's job. This leaf is so unique that it is hard to confuse with other plants. Hemp is said to be native to Central Asia and its presence in pre-Dynastic Egypt is not otherwise documented. However the hemp leaf in Sheshat's emblem shows that the ancient Egyptian rope-stretchers used hemp for their measuring cords and that Sheshat cannot deny her now illegal patronage and ownership of this psycho-active plant.

I asked for a source and they haven't given one. Is there any truth to this or are they talking out their back end?

Senebty

I read something about this once, actually.  I believe (and I don't recall the source, though I'll see if I can find it) that cannabis was used medicinally in later periods, but Seshat worship was more common in the Old Kingdom, so the dates don't quite match. 

EDIT:  I found it, it's from Seshat's wikipedia discussion page. 

The earliest attestations of Seshat's symbol (that I'm aware of) are from Djoser's pyramid, that is c. 2700 BC. But all that evidence of Egyptian cannabis knowledge seems to be of much later date (late Middle Kingdom/New Kingdom).

That is the passage I was recalling, but there's quite a bit of discussion around the topic on that page, with links to relevant sources. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Talk:Seshat#Hemp.2C_cannabis.2C_and_medical_cannabis_in_Egypt

As Seshat is the consort of Djehuty and also associated with scribes and measuring, my personal impression is that it's probably a representation of papyrus.

(http://ak5.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1236850/preview/stock-footage-papyrus-plant-in-water-cyperus-papyrus.jpg)

EDIT AGAIN:  Apparently I hit Reply instead of edit.  Apologies for the double post.  Mods may feel free to remove the first one.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:16:49 pm by Meritsekhet »

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:52:38 pm »
Em Hotep

Thank you so much. I didn't know about the discussion pages for wikipedia, very interesting. Your time is much appreciated. I think so too, it makes more sense with Her links to writing and recording of knowledge, hopefully the archaeologists will discover something to bring light to this :)

Senebty

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:51:40 pm »
Another speculation is that Her headdress is Egyptian lotus.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

* Most Recent Topics

No posts were found.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3239
  • stats Total Posts: 297178
  • stats Total Topics: 20345
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything