collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Head covering?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Meritsekhet

Head covering?
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:43:07 pm »
Hi everyone!

I know that there isn't anything in Kemetic Orthodoxy that requires head covering, but I was wondering if anyone does practice this?  I'm feeling a bit of a desire to start wearing a head-scarf of some sort, and I'm not quite sure where it's coming from.  Definitely a question for meditation, which I shall ask, but I always like to ask the community as well.

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Head covering?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:45 pm »
Em hotep,

I started head covering in either 2010 or 2011, can't remember now. For me it is a practical practice which is part of my psychic hygiene. I started using scarves but the ones I had became heavy and hurt my neck. Then I started using wide headbands and have not looked back.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:34:31 pm »
It'd be far more traditional to shave your head and wear a wig made from someone else's hair.  But this was done for reasons of hygiene in a warm arid climate in a people obsessed with cleanliness.  While it overlaps with the religious concept of purity, I don't think there's any religious imperative to do it now.  I have access to personal hygiene products which Nefertiti can only envy.  ;-)

Head covering?  I would imagine that this is a personal choice undertaken by people for their own various reasons.   I don't think Kemetic Orthodoxy would have a comment either way.

Senebty,

Taji
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

Offline Neferkara

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
Em Hotep,

I am quite a tom-boy in most things I do, so I wear ski headbands, as they cover most of my head to keep my hair back, but my hair can be tucked in at the back or left out loose. I don't see any pressures in the House from wearing headscarves, it is most definitely personal choice, but I think there is sense of devotion that comes with wearing a headscarf, that is probably from hanging out with my Muslim friends

Senebty

Online Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:25:17 pm »
Em hotep!

A few months back, I was struggling with similar feelings. I think I spent two weeks trying to get up the courage to do so (I'm horribly timid in regards to some things). When I finally did so I started with bandanas when I was online/watched television, then outside, then always except at work or with just my boyfriend. I ended up switching to wide headbands because when I made inquiries into the dress code, my HR did not ask why I asked, but simply said no. Headbands are my current choice to get away from the Lowes hats and caps only. Currently a friend who knits and I are working on something like a thick hair net that will cover everything, but still not be a hat/cap. Though I could solve all this by going to my regional HR with "This is a personal religious/spiritual choice for me that hurts no one", I plan on staying at my store a bit longer so I don't want to cause issues over a plain white bandana.

Senebty,
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »
Em hotep,
I wear head covers in certain times (multifaith kid here, in some it's considered polite for the spiritual work as per tradition, in some it's established practice as a means as protection, spiritually) though not for most of daily life (for gender and safety reasons).

So I'm definitely of the mind this is something that's personal, depending on tradition, and depending on community one's in - and it's also important to keep in mind how safe one would be with certain clothing, physically. (One could argue spiritual protection translates to physical, and is encompassing. But on another hand there's also enough bigoted people in the world, and depends greatly where do you live.)

As to KO, as was said before me; I don't think KO has a stance for this sort of thing either way. ;)
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3261
  • stats Total Posts: 298689
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955