Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Learning the Kemetic Language  (Read 11469 times)

Offline M'aqanitui

• Shemsu
Learning the Kemetic Language
« on: May 08, 2015, 02:24:29 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

I'm interested to find out if there is anywhere I can learn the Ancient Egyptian language? I've already picked up a few of the basic phrases we often use on this website, but I would very much like to learn a more comprehensive and detailed understanding of the language, perhaps even learn how to speak in full sentences.

If anyone knows of any accurate, detailed and easily understandable learning resources, I would deeply appreciate your assistance.

On another note, I would also appreciate if someone with the knowledge of hieroglyphs can validate the accuracy of this source before I start using it as a learning tool:
http://www.virtual-egypt.com/newhtml/hieroglyphics/

Thank you in advance for any help,
Senebty.
Sat Ra her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Bast her Djehuty

Never stop smiling, and you will always stay firmly on your feet. :)

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline M'aqanitui

• Shemsu
Re: Learning the Kemetic Language
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:14:47 am »
Does this book teach how to speak the language as well as how to read hieroglyphs? I can't see any information about the language being referenced in the description or the reviews.
Meryt Bast her Djehuty

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:05 am »
Thank you, Temseni, for this book recommendation.  I've seen this recommended often, so I've finally sent for this.  I've been busy searching out every thing Hethert related.  Some stelas have prayers to her and other things.  Bierbrier's book of Hieroglyphic texts (part 12), doesn't translate all.  So I'm muddling through.  Hopefully this book will ease my struggles.

Senebty, all!

Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »
Hotep Abigail,

It is very hard to speak a language that is considered dead.  But within this book they go into some of the pronunciation but unfortunately when you transliterate from the drawing to the sound we are missing a great deal of our vowels, so we tend to add the most common vowels, now whether this the actual way of speaking we really don't know.  But as I said before this book does help with some of that.

Senebty
Temseni
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Fedw diviner

Offline Ihhyensenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:26 am »
Em Hotep,

The Papyrus of Ani " The book of the Dead" is also a great ( and fascinating) resource. I believe you can find it through Amazon, Barnes and noble, etc.

It has all the plates from the "original" papyrus and a close to English translation. But again this language is considered dead. A lot of Egyptian books out there are resource materials, I don't believe that there is an official course in the language and proper use of it.

Then again I have been proven wrong in the past.

I remember in the narration of "The Mummy" Brendan Fraser says " If you understood ancient Egyptian you would be really confused about what we are saying."

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Book-Dead-Integrated-Full-Color/dp/0811864898/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431271204&sr=1-5&keywords=book+of+the+dead

Good Luck!
Ihhy-"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra
meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
Daughter to (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Financial Bak

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 11:40:11 am »
I've found Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Practical Guide - A Step-by-Step Approach to Learning Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs. by Janice Kamrin quite useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-Hieroglyphs-Step---Step/dp/081094961X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431275335&sr=1-1&keywords=Janice+Kamrin

My copy has a different cover, with an Ibis bird (Djehuty) on a standard.  It was put out by the American University in Cairo, while the linked version is by Publisher Harry N. Abrams

In her "further reading" section, even she recommends the Collier and Manley book.  :)

Between the Budge dictionary, Wilkinson's "Reading Egyptian Art", the Faulkner dictionary, I've been muddling along.  We're really due for a much better dictionary, than one from 1920 and one from 1962.  I hope when it does come out, it doesn't cost 600 bucks and has an index.

I just found this site, with hieroglyphic examples, which is excellent for referencing while drawing your own:

http://www.fabiovassallo.it/eng/glyphs.html#Tables

Senebty,

Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
Another book highly recommended by a professor of mine is
 http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Egyptian-Introduction-Language-Hieroglyphs/dp/1107663288/ref=sr_1_21?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431285389&sr=1-21&keywords=hieroglyphics+dictionary.
It's a little advance but it also includes grammar as well.

Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Fedw diviner

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 11:37:43 pm »
I've used the James P. Allen book, and can vouch for its usefulness.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline M'aqanitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 04:41:06 am »
Thank you everyone! :D I'll be sure to have a look at all these book recommendations so I can figure out which ones I need most.

If you have any more suggestions of sources to learn how to read, write and speak the language, please let me know! :D

Senebty.
Meryt Bast her Djehuty

Offline Gezemyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »
Great thread, I was also interested in learning a bit of the ancient Kemetic language here and there, I'm quite a linguaphile.
Gezemyinepu (Gez)-  "Anointed by Yinepu"

Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Tjehehdjehuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:42 pm »
Great information.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 10:38:55 pm »
Hotep, Abigail! :D

Some of the books mentioned already in this thread by others are very good (especially Allen's; Collier's is more accessible though I'd rank it behind Allen's). :)

If you can find them, Hoch's manuals are invaluable (they've served me exceptionally well over the last few years), though they will likely cost you a pretty penny. Artiegyptos also sells some really handy learning tools, namely flashcards and reference charts, which aren't terribly financially inaccessible. Some people do much better with flashcards in addition to book-based exercises than with written stuff alone. Also makes learning with someone else easier and more fun!  http://www.artiegyptos.com/

Hope that helps!

Senebty,
Sard
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 04:42:52 am »
em hotep,

I have nothing to add to the book recs - P. Allen is certainly the choice if you want to study this on a University level.
For an online dictionary, try this:
http://aaew.bbaw.de/tla/servlet/TlaLogin
It's a project from the Berlin University, and it's stilla work in progress, as far a I know. It doens't only give the meaning of words, it has a huge database on the sources, i.e. in which texts this word appears, so you can closely study the meaning in the original context.

And I have two movie recs: Watch "The Mummy" and the early "Stargate" Movie and Episodes. They had an Egyptologist on the payroll (the same guy for both, forgot his name *ooops*) who managed to reconstruct the spoken language quite well.
Just be aware: we don't know for a fact how the ancient laguage sounded - we can just try to find an approximation, what it "might have sounded like"

Best regards,

Ma'en

Edit: found the link... the Egyptologist working the movies is Dr. Stuart Smith:
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/stsmith/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:39:32 am by Maen »
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline tjwhalen

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:40 pm »
I'm not sure if this will help but this site has the information and files for the transliteration unicorn font that would allow you to type in hyroglyphics I've started using it, and it does take some getting used to but it seems to work well
http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/en/node/1416

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288048
  • stats Total Topics: 19524
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217