Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Em hotep, I'm Aelita.  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Aelita

Em hotep, I'm Aelita.
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:29:18 pm »
Hello everyone.

I don't expect that I'll be an extremely chatty member of the forum, but I thought I would post and introuce myself anyway. I'm a 20 year old girl from Minnesota, and I'm here to learn more about an entrancing pantheon. I echo the same sentiments I've read in blogs and on this site - these particular deities have always held a special something that no other ones did. To find that there's an organized religion surrounding them is quite intriguing.

At the moment I identify as hopefully agnostic. (I -want- to believe there's something out there, but whether I think all of existence is sadly mundane or that there's 'more' to it, varies depending on my perspective week to week.) Growing up I occasionally attended youth group or vacation Bible school with friends under Baptist Christian denomination, and never really felt a 'ring' there. In the last 6-7 years, I've darted in and out of pagan path research, and had varying levels of success there.

I'm currently picking up a few recommended books on Kemetic-related materials, among them Temple of the Cosmos (Jeremy Naydler), Red Land, Black Land (Barbara Mertz), and    The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt (Richard H Wilkinson) before reaching out to the Netjer. Felt it best to brush up on some of the traditional knowledge or research of the pantheon before delving in further.

I don't plan on taking the beginner's course, unfortunately. I noticed the need for a real address, and while I support myself financially, I am not sure my more traditionally Christian housemates would appreciate my interest in something so... not traditionally Christian. I can't have any materials with my name on them being sent. However, I am hoping between the book recommendations, forums, and Kemetic Orthodox blogosphere, I shall be satisfied with what I can learn for now.

I look forward to lurking all of your posts. I invite you to tell me about yourself, what brought you to this faith, and any recommendations you may have from experience in your relationships with the Netjer.

Offline Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
Re: Em hotep, I'm Aelita.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:13 pm »
Em hotep!
welcome, it is good to have you here.
As far as I know I have never received anything in the mail from the House while in the beginner's class. The address thing may be just be for identification or authentication, not for actually sending things to you. But that is as far as I know and remember (anyone correct me here). The course is actually all online (email, chats). Unless its been changed in the last year or so. I hope you take advantage of it, it really is interesting. ^^
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:26:03 am »
Em hotep,

Just wanted to reiterate that I also have never once received anything in the mail from the temple.  AFAIK, like A'Aqyt says, it's more for identification than anything. My Beginner's Class was entirely done online, no calls, no letters in the mail or anything. :)
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:56:30 am »
Em hotep and welcome to the forum :)
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Tjesi

• Rev Tjesi - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:20:25 am »
Welcome.

=======
Awibemhethert
Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert (Ibi)

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:17:14 am »
Em hotep and welcome Aelita!

I grew up in similar circumstances actually; I went to a Baptist church until I could decide for myself that I wouldn't go and I was agnostic on and off for a few years. :) We're pretty relaxed here, so you are welcome to explore to your heart's content and ask anything that is on your mind about who we are and what we do. There is also the Kemetic Interfaith Network that includes more throughly other Kemetic paths (www.kemetic.info), however it's a bit quieter than here.

Unless receiving the emails would put you into a dangerous position, you are welcome to sign up. However, we never wish to put you into a dangerous or uncomfortable situation by recommending the Beginners Class, so consider carefully if email is safe enough for you and if you wish to take it. Many folks chose to wait until they were in a position in which they could freely learn without fear of reprisal.

I hope that helps and I'm very glad to meet you. :D

Senebty,
Ra'awy

Edited: Link fixed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:53:41 am by Ra'awyserqet »
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:38 am »
Welcome, Aelita!

I grew up in similar circumstances actually; I went to a Baptist church until I could decide for myself that I wouldn't go and I was agnostic on and off for a few years. :) We're pretty relaxed here, so you are welcome to explore to your heart's content and ask anything that is on your mind about who we are and what we do. There is also the Kemetic Interfaith Network that includes more throughly other Kemetic paths (www.kemetic.org), however it's a bit quieter than here.

I too grew up in a Baptist Christian family, and went through an atheistic phase. 

May your explorations be very rewarding, Aelita!

Also, I want to correct that URL, the Kemetic link is:
www.kemetic.info
and the forums are here:
http://www.kemetic.info/forums/

Senebty!
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:26:59 pm »
Em hotep!  I hope you find what you are looking for here!  We are very willing to answer any questions you have.  However, I also wanted to jump in and say I have also NEVER been mailed anything at all, I've only been emailed, which maybe you could check away from home at an internet cafe or something, if you don't feel safe doing it at home?  I can tell you that, if you can swing it, the beginner's class is definitely worth it, and once finished you will have access to more of the forums.  But, as others have said, your safety is the first priority!  I hope to see you around the forum!
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:04:19 pm »
Em hotep and welcome Aelita!

As one of the current beginners' class instructors, I can confirm that the course is completely online.  The House never sends out unsolicited mail.  Everything is handled online.  The need for a "real" address is, as others have speculated, just for authentication purposes.  There have been problems in the (now distant) past with people not being who they said they were.  Also, Hemet (AUS) is very protective of us and will not give out personal information without your permission.

I hope this helps, and again, welcome!  :-) 
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:29:09 pm »
Em Hotep and welcome.

No, as far as I know, the House will not send you anything in the mail. But your safety and security are the primary concern. :) There's lots to learn from the boards as it is.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Aelita

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:24:41 am »
I appreciate everyone's assurances as it relates to the beginner's course. My internet time - and laptop - are entirely my own, so email communications are not an issue. I will consider enrolling in the future, perhaps.

Thank you for the greetings and concern. ^^

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 10:03:55 am »
Em hotep and welcome, Aelita!

I hope you enjoy your time on the forums. Please feel free to read and ask questions!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 08:01:08 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:49 pm »
Em hotep, Aelita, and welcome to the Forums!  We're very glad that you're here.
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
Em Hotep, Aelita! Good book choice, if I may say. I've read Temple of the Cosmos and The complete Gods and Goddesses, and both are very much worth the read :)
Zemity
"(of the) two desert ones"

Son of Serqet-Aset and Set
Beloved of Djehuty, Khnum and Heru-Wer

Self-care Serqet-Aset and Heru-Wer Keeper

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3180
  • stats Total Posts: 296005
  • stats Total Topics: 20234
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955