collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 83
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Neith  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
Neith
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:58 pm »
Em Hotep all!

So I was trying to get to know one of my pendulums (labradorite, silver chain) and I got the sense that she had a name, something like 'Anat' or 'anet'. Neither of these rang exactly true, however. I tried to get a visual sense of her energy - as it were - and was getting green, strongly, and a circular form. On a whim, I looked up the meaning of the name 'Anat', and what I found nearly made my heart stop. The name 'Asanet' apparently means 'follower of Neith', who I quickly researched as I've never thought much about her. Low and behold, the symbol rested on her head is an oval of green.

Does anyone have any experience with Neith? I'm really not familiar with her, and maybe a little flustered at the thought of maybe having attracted the attention of her or one of her messengers O.O

Senebty and dua Neith! :) 
Zemity
"(of the) two desert ones"

Son of Serqet-Aset and Set
Beloved of Djehuty, Khnum and Heru-Wer

Self-care Serqet-Aset and Heru-Wer Keeper

Online Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Neith
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:06:19 pm »
Em hotep Rexibeck!

While I only know of Nit (Neith) in passing as she's often paired with my Mother, I do know of caring for the netjeri in objects.

For the most part, any netjeri that attached or wishes to be attached to a physical object (especially one humans come in contact with), it's  because they want to form a relationship with us/the Seen. Some of them do so for a particular work/purpose they will perform with you once and leave, others will perform a more permanent work/purpose, and others simply want to enjoy being in contact with us. They are like the Netjeru in that regard.

Care of them usually depends on the netjeri; some don't need any care, but enjoy it, others will need/want regular offerings (food, liquid, essential oil, incense, etc). If you make a promise for regular or particular kinds of offerings, they will remind you to keep making them and they might get mad and make you aware of their displeasure, or simply leave. I usually offer the same/similar things to the netjeri as I would up the Netjeru over them, unless they request something specific.

Many netjeriu can choose to become attached to an object, some even prefer it. Others request it or show up to someone they know who can do it or answer someone's spiritual "ad".

I hope that's helpful to you, I really enjoy this topic. :3

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »
Em Hotep Ra'awy :)

That's very helpful, thank you :D Asanet seems to be quite a shy presence, not very demanding, but I will certainly treat her with respect and invite her to share in informal offerings :) I actually have another pendulum who I believe is inhabited by a netjeri named Ised (very large hematite Djed shaped pendulum) who is a very strong and protective presence. I don't think he's affiliated with any Netjer in particular (maybe I should ask), but he's FIERCELY loyal, and refuses to work with anyone but me. He dislikes even being touched by anyone else, and makes this very well known. He likes to be placed in my informal shrine and share in the offerings :)
Netjeri are fascinating ^.^
Zemity

Online Ra'awyserqet

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:01:40 pm »
Em hotep again. :D

They can be wonderful companions, coworkers, and friends, and I really do see them that way. The other netjeri could also be the natural netjeri within the stone; some stones, objects, and spaces have a netjeri of their own inhabiting them or that are them. They may even have both, in a sort of big spirit-little spirit sort of way. That's how some of the historical/traditionally known netjeriu are described as in relation to the Netjeru.

If you are really curious, I'd ask. They are in a good tool to do so. ;)

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:43:31 pm »
Haha, they certainly are :) That's interesting though - I didn't know Netjeri could cooperate in that kinda of way ~
I've actually been trying to learn more about Netjeri and try to get more in touch with them recently, so you've given me a lot to think about, thank you :D
Zemity

Online Ra'awyserqet

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:06:29 pm »
Re hotep

Heh. Netjeriu and us can cooperate in the same sorts of ways as Netjeru and us and Akhu and us. I work with netjeriu on all sorts of things; from healing to comforting to help with heka to just enjoying each other's company. The netjeriu I work with mainly focus on community; community being living and working together as partners (platonic of course). As long as we are treating each other respectfully and helping each other out when we need it and/or ask, we are both benefiting from each other and both enjoying each other's company. I feel the ones I work with also tend to want this sort of relationship, because Seen and Unseen are interconnected, but divided. Working together towards the same goals means that we are stronger together and we are never alone. Which is beautiful, to me at least.

It makes my ka very fed, to talk about this and reflect on how the above is also how I see our community and our faith; how Seen and Unseen reflect each other further. Thank you for bringing up this topic. :)

Senebty
Ra'awy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:14:28 pm by Ra'awyserqet »
(They/them)

Offline Evander

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:07 pm »
I've learned to understand Neith from her Greek incarnation as Athena, both are weaving and war goddesses as well as the obvious similarity in names. Some historians have speculated that the secret rites held on the Acropolis concluded with a revelation of her child, hidden in a box and who had snake-like features - due to a virgin being forced to bear a child unwillingly. In Egyptian mythology, Neith is mother to Sobek, so I see a strong correlation there, since the Egyptians weren't afraid to present him within their mythology. 
This is just my experience, but food for thought if you find it helpful.

Online Ra'awyserqet

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 04:10:54 am »
Em hotep Rexibeck

I found a possibly very helpful link for you that I'll mail you. :)

Em hotep Evandar

On the note of "Nit's incarnation as Athena", we (in the KO) generally don't regard Greek forms of deities as being incarnations of our forms of deities (Netjeru) or vice versa. The Greeks had and Hellenics have their own, separate systems of belief and combining beliefs together generally is disrespectful to one or both. From a Greco-Egyptian perspective, Nit-Athena works because they are similar enough that when the Greeks were in the midst their conquest of Egypt "our gods are your gods" worked better than trying to snuff out the Netjeru for the Olympians (apologies, I've forgotten the proper terms for the deities of the Greeks). Generally speaking, this is how many foreign deities were introduced to Egypt; Qadesh, Anat, Astarte, are just a few of the more well known, beings like Serapis, Isis (who is different from Aset), Hermes-Thoth, etc, are the results of the mixing and mashing of many deities of different cultures together. This (the Greek bits) happened very late in Egyptian history, where the things going on are hardly Egyptian and more Greek (or otherwise foreign) in nature.

It's not a wrong way to see her, just a way that isn't orthodox, which is why we don't see these beings in the RPD and why we use different spelling and pronunciations. :)

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:16 pm »
Ra'awyserqet is correct.  The time that Nit is equated with Athena is after Alexander invaded Egypt.  Personally they are two separate beings, though similar, are no the same.  Just like Isis is not Aset.  Or Djehuty is Hermes.  If you look at the time periods before the Ptolemaic Dynasty you don't see Anat and Astarte being equated with other deities.  Yes they are foreign but were worshipped/recognised as such.

Just my 2 cents
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Basttjamheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 04:47:04 am »
Does anyone know where Nit's association with spiders come from? Is this just speculation/personal interpretations or is this founded in historical fact or references? Thanks! Senebty
Daughter of Bast.
Beloved of Nit-Nebthet-Seshat and Ra-Heruakhety.
Dua Netjeru!

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:34 am »
I know she was associated heavily with click beetles (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lanelater_top_20090419.jpg) but that's the closest I've heard to spiders. I've heard that she was also associated with weaving funerary linens and such, so maybe there's a loose link with the silk that spiders produce? Don't quote me on that tho :P
Zemity

Offline Remenit

• Rev Emma, Ordained Clergy, Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:40 am »
Em Hotep,

Apologies for not answering this topic sooner!

There are no direct Links to Nit and Spiders. The best link there is is via Nit-Athena, which happened in the Greek era. This is most likely through the Arachne-Athena myth cycle,  Arachne's link to weaving and Nit's link to weaving. (It gets complicated, can you tell? :-) ) So although it has some historical basis, it's not Kemetic per se.

Senebty,
-Nesyut
Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:12:55 pm »
Em Hotep!
I know she was associated heavily with click beetles (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lanelater_top_20090419.jpg)

There's a lovely piece no newer than 1st Dynasty now at the Brussels museum featuring those click beetles. (I've seen it at the "Dawn of Ancient Egyptian Art" exhibit that was at the Met museum).  I'm glad to see the beetle upon which Nit's symbol is based.  A photo of the piece at the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lankester2/5395595695/

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Remenit

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:29:50 am »
Em hotep,

I know that image well, Neheh. I have a variant of the standard tattooed upon me. :)

The interesting part is you can see how Nits various symbols and emblems have evolved from the two click beetles facing each other. When I get home tonight I'll link one of the articles I found on this.

Senebty

nesyut
Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

Offline Remenit

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
Remenit Nesyutenmutes