collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Two Parents: Senut/Shrine questions  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
Two Parents: Senut/Shrine questions
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:43:02 pm »
Em hotep everyone!
Recently I was divined a daughter of Sobek and Taweret, so I am Dual-parented. I have a question for those also with two parents. What are the shrine arrangements for you? Do both your parents share one shrine, or do they have separate shrines? Also, do you take turns performing Senut for each one of them (say on different days) (Parent A gets some days and Parent B gets others) or is each Senut just for the both of them?

Help is appreciated!
Thank you, Jessica
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline ubenet

Re: Two Parents: Senut/Shrine questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:48:32 pm »
my Parents share a shrine, but They're Mother and Son, so other gods might feel differently!
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:54:31 pm »
Do you think Taweret + Sobek would mind in theory? I hear sometimes (although rarely) they are paired as husband and wife, but I'm not sure if that's backed up enough to keep it separate.
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:19:36 pm »
Em hotep!

Single-Parented kid here, but Mom has repeatedly shared the same space with my Beloveds. I've found that between Sekhmet-Mut and Yinepu, I always try to balance their sides; so that when Sekhmet-Mut gets one thing, Yinepu gets something as well. Even though I have a longer standing relationship with Sekhmet-Mut and Yinepu had a nicer statue for the longest time, I personally found that a happy medium is nice.

I also used to sandwich Wesir between Taweret and Sobek on my protective Netjeru spot of my Akhu shrine back when it was in a larger space. I placed them together and never got much complaint from anyone, but that might be because I asked them and placed them there as sort of divine guardians/protectors/bouncers for my Akhu and Wesir (as the King over my Akhu). To me at least, they both have strong protective aspects as well as strong birth/rebirth aspects, which makes them an awesome duo. However, my experience with them is limited.

~

I feel that if there are space constraints, your Parents/Beloveds are probably more willing to work with you on what works for them, whereas if you have the room for additional shrines they'll speak up about that sweet spot over by the window. ;)

But I also feel that if you really want to know the answer, there's no better one to ask than your Parents. I strongly feel that the Netjeru do work on a case by case basis with each of us as individuals; we aren't all cookie cutter people, so we have different needs, requirements, experiences, desires, etc, and the Netjeru know that. If you are trying your best, you are doing exactly what they ask of you; your best might mean a whole shrine room or a single charm on a keychain, but your best is your best. You always have the potential to do your best.

So do your best, trial and error is easy in our faith because our Gods are so forgiving.

Senebty,
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:30:55 am »
I am dual parented as well (Bast and Amunet) and they share a shrine with no issues.  I also do a combination thing with honouring them in Senut.  I do give them separate days where Bast gets a day, then Amunet gets a day, and then I also do a "mothers' tea" that is for both of them.  They both love tea, so this seemed like a natural thing, however, they do have slightly different tastes, so I change up the tea each time.  It seems to be working quite well!  Dual parents can be overwhelming, I remember after my RPD, I was asking the same question!  It takes a little time to figure out how they work together, but I think they will be understanding while you learn.  My mothers definitely were, and I'm still learning! ;)
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 06:57:51 am »
Em hotep!

I have always had both of my Parents share a shrine. From my perspective, there's a practical reason for this. As a Dual-Parented Shemsu, both of my parents are equal. I'm not a child of Wepwawet and a child of Sekhmet-Mut -- I'm a child of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut (if that distinction makes any sense outside of my own head).

If I had Their shrines separated, I'm going to have to choose which deity to go to first. I might spend more time at Wepwawet's shrine than Sekhmet-Mut's shrine. If Their shrine is one shrine, then I can go to Them both and honor Them both with the same devotion.

That all depends on your relationship with your Parents, though. Sobek and Taweret seem like the kinds of deities who wouldn't mind sharing in my opinion, but you might find out otherwise. I have yet to hear from anyone whose Parents became angry or disappointed with them for trying to figure this out. The best thing to do is start simple, work on building a relationship with your Parents, and then slowly add to and change things as you feel more confident in that relationship.

Nekhtet on your RPD - best of luck with your new shrine!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:40:28 pm »
My Parents live very happily next to one another in all of my shrines.  Where One is, so is the Other, because I cannot separate out the Set part of me from the Hethert part of me.  Doing so leaves me unbalanced. 

I don't know if this is Their doing or my own, but I have a clue hidden within a meaning of my shemsu name: Taqaisenu - Uplifted by Two.  I'm not "Uplifted by One on some days and the Other on other days" (how would that even be pronounced? :D ).  At times in shrine, Set has referred to me as "Your Mother's Daughter", and Herhert as well reminds me that I am "Your Father's Daughter". Even they do not separate the Other out of me.

I perform senut to Them both at the same time, though they get separate offerings.  I do approach Them differently in shrine.  They're both there together but They are not the same; each has Their own requirements of me and preferences which luckily rarely if ever clash.  Thinking on it now, Father does always come first. Perhaps that is indicated in the order in which They were divined in my RPD, but I don't feel any special meaning in it beyond that that's just the way it is.

It's a wonderful journey, learning about my Parents and Beloveds and discovering how They each relate to me and to each other. So deliciously complicated.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:49 pm »
My Parents and Beloveds share shrine spaces. I honor both of my Parents and Beloveds in Senut as well. I realize that Nekhbet and Mut are Beloveds, which is different than being Parents but when I focus only on my Parents, I feel as though something is missing, so I have included my Beloveds in all that I do as well and things feel far more balanced for me. The exception is when I am focused on doing something for one of Them in particular but that is different than Senut and general worship (to me anyway). So far, I have not had any complaints or problems with the way that I do things. As others have suggested, talk to Sobek and Taweret to get their insight, I don't think that they would object though. I hope that makes sense and helps.
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:41 pm »
My situation is a little different for the time being. Due to space issues, I have a boxed shrine for senut. When not in use, everything is stored back in its place til the next use. However, I do have a small shelf that holds my statues, which you can see in my avatar pic. :) It is temporary for now, but They don't mind. I'm dual parented (Wepwawet and Bast) and dual beloved-ed. Is that even a word? Anyway... My Parents have larger statues that are the same size and type and my beloved statues are smaller but equated. Everything seems to work well for now. I believe that since harmony, organization, and order is important to me, They work with what I can provide. As for what I use to represent them in my shrine box, Everyone has a small stone that all end up in the same bag. :) Feel free to message me if you'd like me to explain something more/a bit better!

Senebty,
Satsenu

**edit to add: As for who I concentrate on during senut, I focus on Netjer as a whole. During the later part of senut, depending on various factors, I may make special offerings for my Parents, but not often... I usually am only able to offer small things like water. Every gesture is appreciated though and They know I carry them in my heart. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:30:48 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Remenit

• W'ab (priest) - Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 02:40:15 pm »
Em Hotep ::henu::,

Like others, both my parents share a shrine. They are both part of me, and have, for the time being at least, requested this layout.

During Senut, I make separate offerings (of the SAME things) on separate plates. I will never just do senut for one God on one day and the other on another. Sure, it might take a little less time, but the one day you forget...

I also have separate shrines for them too, as how I work for them is different. I will approach Nit for different subjects than Sekhmet, but for Senut and other rituals? Both the same day, and the same time, but separately.

Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:36:52 am »
I have one shrine that I use for Senut which has both Parents and Beloveds, though each has a distinct different area of the shrine. I've never gotten the feeling that They don't want to share but that's just my own experience :)

I never honour Them on different days because to me it would be like talking to one biological parent one day and then the other on the next day. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will honour Them both equally and make a slight difference to that honouring, for example, I'll offer Them different items or I'll read prayers from the prayer book to Them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:38:30 am by Arefsenu »
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 02:01:52 pm »
As has been said above by many, I have representations of both of my Parents in my senut shrine. That said, while I will always present offerings to each of my Parents, I will give special attentions on different days (i.e. a specific holiday, if I'm praying for something that is more appropriately directed at one rather than the other, if I've written a new song for one of them, etc.) Provided both are acknowledged and given offerings each time I complete the Rite, I've not experienced any kick-back for the occasional shifting of my senut's focus from one to the other on different days.
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:30 pm »
I agree with Saryt, this is why I started doing a combination (including both in one ritual as well as separate on other days).  My mothers are very different and sometimes one is more appropriate to approach about something than the other.  As such, they do the same in their dealings with me as well.  It is very equal and evens out eventually, but very rarely are they BOTH present in communicating any one thing - it is usually just one of Them that comes to me for a certain purpose, and then when the Other has something, She comes at a different time for a separate purpose.  Because They have shown me through Their own actions that this is acceptable, this is what I do. 

I have also found that this was true growing up with my own biological parents.  Sometimes it was just more appropriate to go to my father about something instead of my mother, and vice-versa.  My mom and I would go on shopping and 'lunch' excursions for mother-daughter time, while my dad and I would go on canoeing trips or other out-door types of things together for father-daughter time.  And then, there were times we would spend as a family, and spend time all together.  So, I find that I have a very similar relationship with my Mothers Bast and Amunet as I did growing up with my biological parents.
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline Mutireshwi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 11:38:47 pm »
Em hotep, Rehen!

My Mothers share the same shrine, no problems. In fact, it would feel weird to me to have them separate. I also talk to Them both each time I do Senut. I offer to Them both, but usually different things. I share my love of craft beer with Bast, while Hethert asks for sweet liqueurs and mixed drinks.

I get a sense of my Mothers as getting along very well.
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Bast her Hekatawy | (AUS)

Meryt Djehuty her Heru-sa-Aset

"My Mothers are my joy"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 303998
  • stats Total Topics: 21093
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal