Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Do you Gratitude?  (Read 21836 times)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Re: Do you Gratitude?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 09:34:03 am »
Em Hotep everyone,

Today marks a challenge for you.

Today, I want you to pick one person in your life. Can be as near or as far from you as you like. Within the temple, within your family, within your friend, within your community. Pick someone. Anyone.

Got that person in mind? Good.

Send them a thank you card.

It can be a thank you for pretty much anything. Thanks for being my friend, thanks for helping me out with that project, thanks for lending me some spare change, thanks for giving me a ride home from the hospital, thanks for listening to me when I wasn't feeling well. Anything.

Just pick someone and send them a Thank you card.

"But Rev. Maret," you ask. "Where do I get a thank you card from?"

Excellent question. You can get them pretty much anywhere. The caveat is that is must be sent physically. No email thank you.
Most Hallmark stores or card stores of any sort sell cards. Craft stores sell card blanks. Some computer programs like Pages or Open Office, allow you to make and print your own cards (and I'm sure there are places online to do that too). You could even go as far as making your own cards if you're artistically inclined. But like I said, it must be a physically mailed or sent card. No email. No e-cards.

There is a method to my madness, I swear.

So, once you have done this, please feeler to post your experiences here. Who did you send it to? Why did you send it? How did it make you feel? How did it make them feel? Did they send you something back? Do you feel closer or farther in your relationship with them? Is there anything else not covered here that you can add?

Have a fantastic week-end!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:12:58 am »
Em Hotep everyone,

Today I wanted to talk about Gratitude vs. Entitlement.

Often these things are confused and confounded, and I think that Entitlement needs to be discussed in relation to Gratitude.

Firstly, let's look at the differences between the two. In a nut-shell:
1. Gratitude= Thankfulness for what you do have, and
2. Entitlement= resentment for what you DON'T have.
Gratitude also deals with our ego and humbles us, while Entitlement is nothing but ego based.

Entitlement blinds us to our own journey, and our own unique situations. It is also particularly harmful to the self in that it creates a false sense of expectations and goals. IE: You just start working out with the expectation that you’re going to look like this buff, slim and toned mega star within six months to a year/ Having to get married, have kids, a house, a car and a white picket fence AKA “Keeping up with the Jones’ “ because all your friends have done so. Gratitude can help you see how far you have come, not how much farther you have to go on your journey. It also allows you to take real stock in what has or hasn’t been done. Entitlement only focuses on what hasn’t been done, and can be profoundly negative.

Gratitude creates a sense of value, while Entitlement does not. When we feel devalued because our gratitude is not acknowledged, it borders on the realm of Entitlement. IE: I did X, so I deserve X in response. So, feeling thankful adds value, which in turn creates positive effects in the world.

Entitlement means we also take things for granted, and that we expect people to do things for us. Giving a gift to someone who expects it devalues the gift before we give it, which also breeds the resentment necessary for Entitlement.

Its OK and natural to want to improve things, but using gratitude to help snowball change is more appropriate than using entitlement.
It is helpful to understand the difference between “Want” and “Need”, and be able to apply those into situations where you can have gratitude. IE: You want a new shiny thing, but down the road, you need to have your rent and bills paid. Unless you have set aside money for the shiny new thing, make sure you have the bills paid first. Gratitude comes in play with “I’m glad I have the bills paid off this month, it means I can set aside money for the shiny thing I want for later.”
Like ‘taking’ and ‘receiving’: 'To take' means that you feel entitled to it and that you have a right to demand it, while to give means that you acknowledge that it comes from someone else and is being given as a gift to you.

Gratitude focuses on the present, while Entitlement fixes the mind and emotions on the past and future. Being present and in the moment always us to be fully present for someone or something, which is the gift you give in response to gratitude.

Gratitude facilitates learning. It allows us to see what we need to see in order to learn from the experience. It helps us think of new strategies to challenges and situations, and it allows us to see the learning experience potential. All three of these things therefor can prompt a shift in mind and help us real with the situation at hand.

Some food for thought for the day.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:09:35 am »
Em Hotep Children of Netjer,

I'd like to extend to you the opportunity to do something of a Gratitude Heka during your senut time, or when you do your own personal rites of devotion. When you get to the individual prayer portion for senut, or during any time you feel appropriate during your personal devotions, instead of asking for this, that and the next thing, try instead offering your prayers of gratitude for the things in your life. Write them out before hand if you need to, but do speak them out loud. There is a reason for this, I promise.

When you do this, I encourage all of you to share your experiences here, if you feel comfortable doing so. I like to engage in discussion, and add new perspectives other than my own.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:47:11 am »
Em Hotep everyone,

Something came up today during my daily meditation in shrine. I was quietly pondering what things I could have gratitude towards today, and I remembered someone asking what to do when the person you are grateful for won't accept that gratitude. I may have figured out a partial answer, which I will share with you here.

Today's message to me, meant to be shared with all of you, was simply this:
I am thankful for the people I don't necessarily get along with, because they show me a better way to do something.

It can be very difficult to give out gratitude towards the people that we have personality clashes with, but keep in mind, they are there to teach you something; about how you said/did something, about how you might think of something, about how you do (x). It is a challenge to you to figure out a better way to do something, so as to reduce the clash.

There is a great deal of talk these days about how everyone and their dog is offended, and the message that is commonly repeated is "You cannot change people's reactions to things, you can only change how you respond."

If you are in a clash with someone, stop and take a moment to figure out why they are upset. Be thankful that they are taking moment, weather they know it or not, to teach you something about themselves and about you.

Some more food for thought.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 10:19:58 am »
Em Hotep everyone!

Me being Canadian, we are about to have our Thanksgiving holiday on October 12th. This got me thinking that now is the perfect time to post; not only in celebration with my fellow Canadians, but also to get the Gratitude train rolling again.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm going to post five things that I am grateful for, and I encourage all of you to do the same thing!

Things I am thankful for:
1. I am thankful for the people who encourage me daily, and who call on me when they see my skills and abilities.
2. I am thankful for meaningful discussions with friends and family. For all the good times, I also enjoy more serious and esoteric discussions as well.
3. I am thankful for my creativity, and the ability to express it in meaningful ways to me.
4. I am thankful for my faith. It sustains me when things are going poorly, and it gives me the opportunity to become a better person through self-knowledge.
5. I am thankful for my Faith Community. Without it, I would be a single person by myself, and I know I flourish when I have others of like mind to talk to, and participate in faith activities with. I never understood how important it was to have a community within faith until I found it here.
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »
Em Hotep everyone!

I'm going to do another quick "5 things I am grateful for", not for the lack of anything else to talk about, but more to encourage all of you to do the same thing.

Today I am thankful for:
1. Medical coverage. Even though my benefits plan is currently on hold, it is only on hold because the Province I live in has a drug plan where my medication will be 100% covered.
2. Having a partner who understands when I am irritated and how to calm me down when I get angry. I admit I was at a point of frustration working on a portion of my cosplay, and he was able to listen to me vent my frustration and offer a new perspective.
3. I am thankful for the work I have put in at the University. While I was able to get my Advanced Major for my undergraduate degree, my hard work in terms of teaching and being a grader/ marker also paid off outside the University in terms of recommendations for further work. The professor I work for always recommends me to others, and sings my praises enough to make me blush.
4. D&D. Yes, I know this one sounds strange, but there is a reason for it. Watching others play D&D (Dungeons and Dragons for those not familiar) inspires me and gives me the boost of creativity, and playing it allows me to get together with like-minded friends for company plus skill-and-strategy development. It challenges me mentally, which is important to me.
5. Ptah. Because I just made the connection today. He is also known as "The Builder", and when I am making things with thermoplastics, I often refer to it as building. Actually, usually anyone who works in cosplay with materials like thermoplastics, resin casting or Pepakura files calls it building. He's the one that keeps the majority of my cosplays in an ever growing state of improvement.

So what five things are you grateful for today?

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »
I am grateful for

1. My job. I love what I do even when I have to do the less exciting parts.

2. My supervisor. Who is one of the smartest people I know. When he says he is impressed by me, I boggle.

3. My support network. Friends, doctors, coaches all give me room to grow and a new perspective on life.

4. My boyfriend (also part of #3). I have learned to say what I feel, even when it scares me. He listens and responds thoughtfully. 

5. My home. It's still in chaos after the renovation. But it's a haven and I love it.

Thank you again, Rev. Maretemheqat.

=======
Awibemhethert
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 10:56:49 am »
Em Hotep Ibi!

These are wonderful things to be grateful for, and thank you for sharing them with us all! I really love #4. Its encouraging to know that you both have a relationship that is built on mutual trust and respect where you can share your feelings honestly, and not be made to feel ashamed for them.

As they say in the song, That's amore! :D

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 03:23:10 am »
I am thankful for:

1) My Gods being incredibly patient with me.

2) My loved ones understanding how hard I'm working right now and going out of their way to help me however they can.

3) My director and stage management mentor trusting me and working with me to make up for the things I missed by oversleeping this morning.

4) Warm blankets and money to pay for heating.

5) My therapist, psychiatrist, and primary care doctor, who have done so much for me and made things so much easier than they might have otherwise been. Whenever I hear about friends having bad experiences with mental healthcare in particular, I just wish I could clone mini versions of them to send to people in need. They are great and they are so much of the reason why I've gotten as far as I have.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy - Fundraising Bak
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 06:46:54 am »
I am grateful for:

1) The relationship I have with my gods. 

2) My husband, who greeted me with a roast chicken, macaroni and cheese, steamed veggies and a bottle of wine when I got home.

3) The community of friends I have in my daily life.

4) The positive environments in which I am learning the skills for my counseling career.

5) The loveliness of autumn.
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Child of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, & Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 10:37:16 am »
Ha'aut and Sobeq,

Thank you for participating and sharing the things you are grateful for! These are some pretty powerful things, and revolve around your relationships with others. Hopefully your gratitude feeds into these communities in which you are involved, and helps make things more positive. :D

Nekhtet!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Ihhyensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:24 pm »
Em hotep,

I'm thankful for

1. My faith. The community, and my relationship with the Gods.

2. My Husband, a strong headed Irishman, but is there for me through everything.

3. My support network, friends, family.

4. My Job, i love what i do.

5. A roof over my head and food in my belly.

In regards to the thank you card "challenge" I actually have a good friend coming in from Australia and i have a little care package for her. Its been 13 years since i have seen her in person. Its going to be a great week!
Ihhy-"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra
meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
Daughter to (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Fedw divination for Sekhmet-Mut and Amun-Ra

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 12:08:49 am »
Em Hotep Hetepenamen,

Sounds perfect! Like a little welcome/care/gratitude package all rolled into one!

Let us know what the reaction is when your friend gets it! :D

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Remenit

• Rev Emma, Ordained Clergy, Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 01:14:36 pm »
Em Hotep,

Today, I am thankful for:

1) My job, and that it's more interesting than sitting in a desk all day like other members of my team. I'm the one that gets to travel between sites and see people.

2) Being in a position where I can easily smile again. For the longest of times, I couldn't. Even as far as a few years back, I didn't think I'd be able to. Now I can. :-)

3) My faith, even if that's ending up putting a lot more work on my plate ;-)

4) My success in my research, and the boost of confidence it's giving me, let alone the avenues it's opening up.

5) My bed. :-) I'm travelling a lot, and it's exhausting, and more often then not I'm staying in hotel beds. Returning to your own, and getting in to that position that's just right? Nothing like it.
Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:04 am »

5) My bed. :-) I'm travelling a lot, and it's exhausting, and more often then not I'm staying in hotel beds. Returning to your own, and getting in to that position that's just right? Nothing like it.

Em Hotep,

Quoted for truth!

I remember when I had my multiple surgeries, I couldn't wait to get home to my bed. It was the most comfortable thing in the world. Day surgery hospital gurneys are not the most inviting things in the world. :/

Thank you for sharing Rev. Nesyut!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2862
  • stats Total Posts: 282611
  • stats Total Topics: 19053
  • stats Total Categories: 8