collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Do you Gratitude?  (Read 26366 times)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Re: Do you Gratitude?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »
Em Hotep everyone,

Today's post on gratitude comes from an introspective place today, considering all that is going on in the world this last week.

Given the attacks on Paris, Beirut, Kenya, Syria and all other places affected by terrorist activity, it has very much brought out a great deal of divisiveness. Following swiftly on the heels of the Paris attack, renewed attention was given to the plight of Syrian refugees seeking a place within Canadian or US borders in order to escape what they've been forced to experience.

From the Canadian side of things; our Prime Minister has already promised to assist Syrian refugees, and has promised to bring at least 25,000 Refugees into Canada. This has, understandably, stirred up a great deal of debate. There are those in Canada that claim that Canada has enough of its own issues in dealing with Homelessness, Veterans issue, First Nations issues and more, and think it is poor policy to bring in Syrian refugees.

Looking over many of these comments to the effect of "WE DON'T WANT THEM HERE! EW! THEY'RE DIRTY AND NOT CHRISTIAN!", it made my heart sad. But then I began to look a little deeper. Many of these comments are based on ignorance and fear, of people not knowing or understanding what the process of Immigration is to a given country like the U.S. or Canada.

To that end, I took the time to look up the information through the Government of Canada's webpage, and read the information pertaining to many of the concerns being espoused by nay-sayers in regards to accepting refugees. Without going into too much detail (and boring you all to tears in the process), there is a far deal more that goes on in the process of Refugee settlement and Immigration than we realize.

Where do I have gratitude in this situation?

1. I am grateful that I have not had to experience the same situations that many refugees have had to experience. Between the original reasons they left their country of origin, to trying to get recognition with the United Nations, to finding a host or sponsor, to actually travelling to the Sponsor country, and THEN having to start life all over again in finding a job, schooling, medical exams, paperwork, housing, etc? Never mind if families are split up (which does happen) between different countries.

2. I am grateful for my education. This might seem odd placed here, but here's the reason why. My education, and I'd wager all post-secondary education, challenges us to look at the world around us and understand how to look at things critically, and then to research when we have things we do not understand. Education (or conversely, experience in a particular topic area) is the single most thing that helps to combat prejudice and ignorance, though we do have to be mindful of what is taught in regards to minorities and their experiences. The Ivory Tower is not immune to cracks at the foundation after all.

3. I am thankful for my work experience with new immigrants. I work with a tutoring program for new arrivals, and this has given me a direct understanding of the unique situations faced by new immigrants to this country. Many of them are profoundly thankful for the new start they have been given, but it is not without its own stress.

So those are my thoughts for the day. I would only follow up by saying if you have concerns about what's going on, look for reputable sources of information that can be applied to your situation.

Senebty and much love.
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 04:09:22 pm »
Em Hotep to my American siblings of the Faith,

I know tomorrow is Thanksgiving for you, and many of you are travelling through various states in order to get home for the holidays. If you are not, I hope you have the opportunity to have a restful and meaningful holiday on your own, or with those whom you choose as your "family".

I just wanted to post a quick note to say thank you, to all of you, who have been participating in this thread, in this community, and in each others lives. We look out for one another in meaningful ways, and hopefully you'll get the opportunity to express that to one another.

Have a great holiday!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »
Em Hotep everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted anything here, mainly because life has gotten a touch body with the holidays around the corner, and with a recent death in my family.

Still, that, and the coming of the Establishment of the Celestial Cow holiday got me thinking about another aspect of gratitude, and that is in elements of supporting others.

I've begun to make efforts to hit the gym again, and it has been helpful to have others support and encourage my decision to do so. I was reminded in shrine the other day that none of us exists or operates in a vacuum, we all have elements of social need.

Just as Hethert shifted herself to become Nut to enable Ra to travel to the heavens, sometimes we need the help of others to help us reach our goals.

Has someone been there as a support for you, in order to help you reach your goals? Have you taken the time to thank them appropriately?

Something to mull over.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2015, 11:44:05 am »
Em Hotep Everyone,

Today's post is a mix of happy and sad. I make no apology for it, only because I think it does serve a wider purpose. If someone out there reading this begins to examine their lives and take these words to heart, then so much the better. Then I have accomplished what I set out to do.

I was watching M. Night Shayamalan's movie The Village the other day, which working on various items around my apartment. There is a scene in the opening of the movie, where one of the Village Elders takes the time to essentially perform "Grace" at a community shared meal. His Grace, however, consists only of the line:

"We are thankful for the time we have been given."

There are other, less obvious reasons to why he says the line, but it stuck a chord with me, and I have been mulling about what to post about in regards to this for a few days.

While I was doing so, a long time friend of the family passed away from cancer. He had been sick for a long time, and he did manage to live a bit longer than the doctors gave him in the end. Long enough, perhaps, to settle his affairs and ensure that everything was covered. I found out later, through the executor of his will, that he considered myself and my brothers like family.

The last time I saw him, was at Thanksgiving (Canadian) and then shortly after that for my birthday Dim-sum.

I suppose you're asking where on Geb's green belly am I supposed to be thankful for any of this.

I am thankful, for the time that I was given.

I am thankful for the time that I spent with him, for the ability to spend time with him, for the ability for him to be part of our family, as much as I was part of his. I am thankful for the "Bah Humbug" or "Hairy Mistress" I got this time of year, and I know I will miss those two statements. I am thankful for the times he made me laugh with his "crass" sense of humour. He reminded me not to take things too seriously when the situation called for it, but he was also very proud of me and my accomplishments, and never forget to tell me so.

I am thankful for the time that I was given.

Senebty.
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Gezemyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »
Em hotep, Maretemheqat- I'm so sorry to hear of this news. :(

I think it's amazing that you managed to put a positive spin on it however, in any way you could. I think that line from the film is great. It really resonates with me.

I posted before that my fiancee's father passed from end stage liver and kidney failure last year, and seeing what he was going through was so tough. My fiancee is indeed happy for the time he was given with him, however, no matter how bad it hurt.

Your post brought tears to my eyes, a really beautiful viewpoint to come of something so sad.

Happy Holidays and Senebty
Gezemyinepu (Gez)-  "Anointed by Yinepu"

Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2015, 01:28:56 am »
Em Hotep Everyone,

Let's do a Gratitude Check in. How are people doing since they've started to look at thinks from a position of gratitude? Has anyone noticed some differences in their attitude? In how they interact with people? Are you finding it easier to cultivate moments of gratitude, even when things are tough? Are you finding other things are easier (IE: Self-compassion) when you're able to engage in gratitude?

Lets get some discussion going. :)

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 11:41:26 am »
Em Hotep everyone!

Happy secular New Year! Usually around this time, many have avowed to make some changes in their lives in order to make things better. This is not an unknown concept to Kemetics either, though we know it more commonly as Zep Tepi.

The best thing about Zep Tepi is it means the chance to start again, the opportunity to change things for the better on any given day, in any given moment.

I have to say I am very thankful to have the opportunity to start again. Zep Tepi is always happening, and we can take advantage of it at anytime we wish.

So happy Zep Tepi to all of you.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:40:47 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »
Em hotep,

I am a firm believer in Zep Tepi.   The opportunity to start over again ...even if it means for me personally having to "start over" sometimes every day of that particular week, at least I have the chance to do it right and if I make a mistake to do it again, and again if necessary.  That perspective has really opened my eyes for a lot of things this last year.

I know that if I can't make it right I have tomorrow to try again until I do get it right.   

I am trying to teach my grandchildren this concept as well so that they know they don't have to beat themselves up for mistakes but they have the opportunity to do it again (and again if necessary) to get things right.   I don't want them thinking that they are losers if they don't get it the first time.

I think that this belief is something positive they can use in their everyday lives.  I think its worth teaching to our children :)  Thank you for letting me say that here :)

Senebty!

Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:54 am »
Em Hotep Meres,

I think its fantastic to teach children this concept. Getting things on the first try is nice and can be rewarding, but we as humans have the knack for learning more by failing. I think this unrealistic idea of attaining perfection the first time around can be dangerous in many ways, as it can set difficult to reach and unrealistic goals.

With Zep Tepi, I think its almost the same as the scientific process; where you develop a hypothesis and try the steps towards the conclusion you think will happen as a result. If you don't, you go back and learn what and where you went wrong, then try again, this time altering one or two steps in order to get the desired result.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »
Em Hotep everyone,

I'm looking to add another dimension to the Gratitude posts here, through the lens of self-compassion. While on the outset it essentially means being kind(er) to yourself, the process of self-compassion also means looking at our faults, flaws and destructive patterns, learning how to acknowledge them, and then moving past them.

Gratitude and self-compassion are linked, though they aren't mutually exclusive to one another. You can be self-compassionate without being grateful (and really, looking at the less-then-awesome aspects of ourselves can and will lead to moments where we will not be grateful), and you can be grateful without being self-compassionate (this involves judgement, which we do on an ongoing basis weather we realize it or not).

There are plenty of webpages, books, podcasts and videos on self-compassion. Recently I picked up a book called Self-Compassion: The proven power of being kind to yourself by Kristin Neff.

There are also books out there that include the psychological aspects of self-compassion and its beneficial effects.

Included here is a PDF file written by Kristin Neff on self-compassion as an important source of well-being. (http://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/publications/Neff&Costigan.pdf)

Just some thoughts for the day. Remember to be kind to yourselves.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 01:55:00 pm »
Em Hotep everyone,

Given my last post on Self-compassion, I wonder then if we are able to give ourselves gratitude for the things we do for and to ourselves? I imagine that its something not everyone does, in terms of having gratitude for themselves, but I think it might become a necessary thing.

We frequently are told to not pat ourselves on the back, even more so as a part of self-compassion. So when times are difficult, it would seem natural that we would give ourselves the necessary space to give ourselves the compassion we need. But what about when times aren't hard or difficult?

I am thankful for the times when my body has let me know when something was wrong, and I am grateful for the knowledge I have of my body to know when something is wrong. On even further reflection, I am grateful that my body is able to keep up with some of the physical strain I put it through. When I was more active, I was constantly pushing the limits of my endurance to get better, to have more stamina. I was able to see the link between the food I was eating and the stamina and endurance I had. That's...pretty amazing.

What about you? Do you have a moment where you can give gratitude to yourself? At something you did? Something you didn't do? Something you overcame? Something you achieved? Is there a way you can have gratitude for how you handled these things?

More thoughts!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
Em Hotep everyone!

There are many holidays around the corner, both secular and religious. There are several festivals this month (Day of Making Health and Long Life on the 12th of February, Feast of Nut "Who Counts the Days" on the 16th, and Amun's Feast of Ra Entering the Sky on the 27th), as well as secular (Valentine's Day on the 14th, for us Canadians, the 15th is Louis Riel Day.)

I'd like to take a moment though to talk specifically about the Day of Making Health and Long Life, along with the intersection of Valentine's Day.

We all know what Valentine's Day is. It is a secular "holiday" where couples aim to be romantic with one another after a long, cold period of winter. Couples frequently give each other gifts such as chocolates, stuffed bears, hearts galore, and even children will exchange valentine's day cards with one another in school. There is a Christian content to St. Valentine's Day, in that an early martyr of the faith, who was a monk, was arrested and thrown in jail. He managed to convince his guard to secret love-letters to his beloved, who turned out to be the warden's daughter. When the warden found out, he executed Valentine.

The Day of Making Health and Long Life, is pretty straight forward too. It had both spiritual and physical connections, in that we do both physical and spiritual "cleaning" and making things healthy within ourselves. Making sure that we manage our health can be as simple as washing your hands before you eat, to making sure you have enough medication to manage your condition. It can mean taking time for ourselves in oder to check in with ourselves, and ensure that we are managing and healthy.

Given that these holidays are so close together, I imagine they can interconnect to give us an important teaching. Sometimes the best gift we can give to someone we love is to take care of ourselves. And for you single folks, the best gift you can give to yourself is self-love and self-care.

My gratitude for this is in the fact that my partner andI frequently check in with each other in the realm of emotional, mental and physical health. My partner took very good care of me when I had to go through my most recent surgeries, and in turn I have looked after him when he needed my care for an injury he sustained. We talk about our emotions and how we are feeling during situations, and we check in with each other when things are going well. If one of us is stressed out, we work towards helping the other manage those stress symptoms.

I am very grateful that I have a partner I can do this with, who shows me love in caring for himself, as much as I show him I love him by caring for myself.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 10:51:25 am »
I gratitude every day in my heart. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe the Neteru are helping me, since i don't physically see everything. But I have had many signs they're on my side and if I need help, they'll be there for me.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 11:02:21 am »
Em Hotep Gleb!

The Netjeru are there for you, yes. Some people have a difficult time connecting with them, or don't have the same "God Phone" as others might have. And that's ok.

Just remember the clear signs they have given you, and remember that you are developing a relationship with them as well as they are developing a relationship with you. It takes time to get to know one another. :)

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2016, 09:23:23 pm »
Em Hotep everyone!

How are you all doing? I know spring is just around the corner for many of us, and that usually means the beginning of a flurry of activity. Most of the time it is the dreaded SPING CLEANING!

Which is not entirely a bad thing, to be honest. I'm grateful when I am able to do deep cleans or spring cleans, for several reasons to be honest.

1. In our Faith, there is a direct relationship to cleanliness, purity and the Duat. If you and your space are clean, you are closer to purity, and closer to the Duat.

2. Spring cleaning allows us to take stock of the last few months, and look at things honestly. Have you seen those plethora of articles that crop up on the "Pitch It, Donate it or Hold onto It" organizational stuff? That's basically what Spring Cleaning does as well. It makes way for the incoming influx of new growth and creative energy, along with taking a serious and honest account of the last few months.

3. It forces us to drop the un-necessary weight of the winter we un-intentionally put on. Weight in all aspects; physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Spring cleaning is a great time to begin to unpack those things, sort through them, and get rid of the excess weight that might be holding you back from moving forward. Winter is usually a season of barren inactivity, so when Spring is around the corner (Or the flood, in our case!), it is sometimes necessary to do a little pruning, self-care and preparation for the new growth.

What about you? Have you taken a moment to do some Spring Cleaning?

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3087
  • stats Total Posts: 293002
  • stats Total Topics: 19940
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113