Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 101
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Gratitude and the Gods  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Gratitude and the Gods
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:37:37 am »
Em Hotep everyone!

So, I seem to be the Gratitude Priest of late, and I wanted to begin a discussion with interested folks about Gratitude and the Gods.

What does Gratitude towards or for your God(s) look like for you? Do you tell your God(s) about your gratitude for Them? Are some of Them more accepting of gratitude than others? Have some of Them mentioned gratitude to you in the past?

For my experiences; My Mother is always happy when I express gratitude towards Her, to the point where during my meditations, She will touch her forehead to mine with a smile. With me, She prefers to show me things via memories and emotion, so naturally I express my gratitude for her via ways where the emotion is present in specific situations.

What have your experiences been like?
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Gratitude and the Gods
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:21:57 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Rev. Maretemheqat!

Thank you for starting this topic. :D I liked the other gratitude threads you initiated, but didn't participate because I felt that a lot of what I could've contributed would've just come out as "humbragging" or something similar, which I try to avoid, so I just lurked and have tried to incorporate some of the exercises into my daily living.

Expressing gratitude toward the Gods is often a pretty "quiet" experience for me. Not on my part, but on Theirs. I usually don't get any "talking back" or signaling that it's been received (I don't have the greatest "God phone" ever, but I don't mean that as a complaint in the least). In any case, I do feel a lot better for making a point of being grateful.

I try to take a few minutes of prayer-time -- whenever I'm in-shrine, but also sometimes outside shrine and informally -- to thank Herishef (He's the deity I "talk to" most often) or whatever other God I'm praying to for every good thing in my life I can think of. Resources, skills and talents, supportive friends and family, that sort of thing.

I've gotten the *impression* from Herishef (again, bearing in mind that I don't have the clearest "God phone") that the more I focus on worship and gratitude, the less I experience want. Which isn't to say "never pray for what you need; the Gods don't care about your needs" or anything like that. Just that worship and making a point of expressing gratitude staves off those nagging "wants" that aren't actual needs; helps to underscore the difference between a "want" and a "need;" helps to stave off feelings of grasping incompleteness and "me, me, me ; more, more, more" that get in the way of connecting more fully and more meaningfully to [God(s)], and get in the way of more fully appreciating what an individual actually has and can make the best use of in life. I get the feeling from Herishef in particular, but also from some other deities that I service with some regularity in addition to Him, that He/They won't ever not-provide, and that the most important thing is to focus on Him/Them and try to "be in the moment" in worshiping Him/Them. Trust and thankfulness. :)

Senebty!
Sard
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:56 am »
Em Hotep Sard!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! While you say that you don't have "The best God-phone", I think (FWIW) that you have the established relationship with your God(s) that is important. You make the time because you want to keep that relationship open, and that's very important.

I tend to think of it in terms of real life relationships as well. When the relationship is one sided, or taken for granted, what sort of relationship does that create? When you only go to the person when you want something or have a problem, what sort of relationship does that create? Its not something that fosters or cultivates a good relationship built on mutual trust and thankfulness.

I think you're right on track with your thoughts, and please don't ever be afraid to share them. :D

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:25:01 am »
Em hotep, Rev. Maretemheqat and everyone else!

Thank you so much for exploring this worthy topic, sure to benefit all of us.

I give gratitude to Set for helping me to find the magic within myself when a loved one died.  His loud call was unmistakable, and I soon found myself growing stronger.  He's always there, encouraging me to be brave (even though
sometimes I'm not very brave, :) )

I give thanks to Hethert for all the beauty and joy in my life.  I am thankful for good music.  I am thankful for the sources of culture in my life, blessings to all the artists who are responsible for its creation. I am thankful for all the love in my life, a good partner with whom I've grown over the years, who fully supports (and shares!) my interests (and is a good cook), and for good friends and laughter.

I give thanks to Ptah-Sokar-Wesir for helping me to find peace within myself.  Okay, I don't always succeed, :), but that is part of the learning process.  Also, I'm grateful to Him for enjoying my own creative efforts. 

I give thanks to Djehuty for my curiousity (or is it Set that encourages my curiousity?)  Maybe they both do.  I am grateful for all the benefits I've had from scientific discoveries and scientific invention. I'm sure without some medical advancements, I'd have died nearly twenty years ago of that stone-filled gallbladder. (May Ma'at guide those inventors to create wise products that help and not hurt our fragile ecosystem!)

I give thanks to Heru-Wer for the material benefits I've had through out the years.  Although I'm not rich, I'm certainly well off compared to many in the world.

I find I am happier when I take time to consider all that I'm grateful for.  Gratitude can be a form of Heka that opens the gateway to receive more good things (not that I'm looking to the Netjeru with "gimme-gimme-gimme" on my mind, well I _TRY_ not to, don't always succeed :) )  I think all the Netjeru (just like people), respond well to gratitude.

Senebty, everyone!

Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:36:28 am »
Em Hotep Neheh!

I'm sorry for your loss, but I am glad to hear that you had some support to help you through that process. I know one of the topics for the Gratitude chats I host will cover gratitude in the process of grief and loss, and I'm hoping that people with experiences like yours will share their insights as you have here.

You touch on the ideas of growth as part of a relationship, and the thankfulness that has come from that. I think that gratitude helps us grow for sure, and grow in a direction that is beneficial to us rather than a hinderance.

Thank you for sharing!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »
Thanks for this latest post, Rev. Maret!

I definitely try to express gratitude towards my Netjeru, particularly when I perform senut, but also at other times.

Heru-wer, unsurprisingly, likes me to express gratitude through my actions, rather than my words. He likes me to pass on positive action, so he encourages me in service and volunteer work, as well as in trying my best to express kindness in my small daily interactions (it's always a work in progress, but he reminds me that that's not a bad thing; effort really is what's important).

Bast tends to prefer that I express gratitude by spending some quiet time with her. She doesn't always want words from me (at least not for this; with other things, it's a different story), so much as time, emotion, and reflection. She and Nebthet both tend to emphasize the importance of balance and reflection in my life, and this seems to be part of that, I think.
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
Em Hotep Taqerisenu!

Looks like you have both action and reflection both down, and that's very impressive!

I'm not surprised that Heru-wer would ask for gratitude via action. In my interactions with Him, I've found Him very much to be "put your money where your mouth is".:) Its the effort that he knows is important as wells the words.

As for the quiet, emotional reflection with Bast; again, I am not surprised. :D Reflection is also part of gratitude as well, and reflecting on the past to see where you can and can't express gratitude is also an important part of self-realization too. It helps us improve as a person.

Fantastic! Thank your sharing!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Ihhyensenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »
Em Hotep,

Thank you for sharing this Rev. Maret!

For me i spend all day in my shrine, as it is placed in my office. So when i have downtime i'm able to look up, see my Gods and say a little thank you for keeping my patience today. I've felt a stronger connection with my chosen ( i have not have and RPD yet ) and they do seem to appreicate my presence.

I usually leave them treats and items that i won't have to worry about "going bad". I remember getting some flowers from my husband a couple of months back and they had some beatuiful purple flowers. I dried a few of them and laid them at Sekhmet's feet. then next day- they predicted rain- it was beatuiful and sunny.

Gratitude. :)
Ihhy-"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra
meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
Daughter to (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|

Offline Maretemheqat

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »
Em Hotep Hetepenamen!

I think everyone likes to be acknowledged for the good things they do, or taking that moment to say "thank you", Gods included. The way they interact with us varies of course, but I think even the hardest or most tempestuous of them likes to have the recognition.

Thank you for sharing!

Senebty!
~Rev. Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3059
  • stats Total Posts: 291473
  • stats Total Topics: 19808