collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 78
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Number of Gods in RPD lineup?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
Number of Gods in RPD lineup?
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:36:38 pm »
A friend of mine asked me this question when I was explaining the faith, and I realized I didn't actually have an answer for her. I'd never actually wondered or questioned this either.

Why do some individuals have more gods in their RPD lineup than others? Why do some individuals have a number like six gods (like myself) while others have a number of two or three?

Same question with dual parents: Why are some individuals dual parented while some are single parented?

(I tried to refrain some saying 'as many as' in regards to this question, because I don't believe nor mean to imply that one number is better than the other).
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
Re: Number of Gods in RPD lineup?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »
As far as I understand it, numbers never mattered. There is no better number or anything like that. The parents are those whom have made that commitment and share that part of themselves as parent. Beloved make a similar but slightly more distant commitment to stand with the individual. And if the person chooses to be shemsu, they make a commitment to favor or honor their rpd gods first. So there is an established bond and commitment each way.

The how's and why's are a little out of depth for me. Dual parented versus single is also a bit hard to me to answer. But to my knowledge there are no rpd's with over 6 names. To my knowledge, but that is just me.

And there is not hard or fast rule saying you can only have a relationship to and worship the RPD alone. You can worship many names, but the rpd gods are your main commitments and relationships.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:58:38 pm by A'Aqytsekhmet »
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:57:03 pm »
Short answer is that it is just the way things fall out. The maximum number of Beloved Who have shown up in RPD has been five, and I have yet to hear of any of those people gaining another.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Basttjamheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:02:17 pm »
This is an interesting question and I'd love to understand the mechanics behind it. I myself only have 3 in my RPD lineup: Bast as my parent and my two Beloveds Ra-Heruakhety and Nit-Nebthet-Seshat. All I know about the RPD is what was explained during it about how it uses cowrie shells and patterns that were set forth by the Gods.
Daughter of Bast.
Beloved of Nit-Nebthet-Seshat and Ra-Heruakhety.
Dua Netjeru!

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »
Em hotep Rehen!

This is my thought regarding this and may or may not reflect something similar said somewhere else. We are all different, we come from different places (both metaphorically and physically), and we all need different things. What I, as a person need, is vastly different than what you might need, and vice versa.

While there is the ba and ka creation argument, I also feel it's equally an argument of us being claimed by our RPD Netjeru when we step forward and say "I'm ready to know and handle the responsibility of knowing, even if I may be wrong in calling x my Parent now." We're claiming them at the same time they are claiming us; though we can chose to accept it or reject it, we still have the responsibility of knowing.

Serqet-Aset is my Mother; I'm single-Parented. I need to be single-Parented and I need Serqet-Aset to be my Parent: so she is my only Mother and only Parent. Ha'autmuti is my brother; Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut are his Mothers and he is dual-Parented. He needs to be dual-Parented and he needs Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut to be his Mothers: so they are his Mothers and both his Parents.

The same logic can be applied to our Beloved(s).

I've thought about this before, since I'm one of the folks with fewer Netjeru in my RPD (and I love confusing, unanswerable questions). This is the best understanding I've come up with thus far.

Senebty
Ra'awy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:09:06 am by Ra'awyserqet »
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
Serqet-Aset is my Mother; I'm single-Parented. I need to be single-Parented and I need Serqet-Aset to be my Parent: so she is my only Mother and only Parent. Hau'utmuti is my brother; Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut are his Mothers and he is dual-Parented. He needs to be dual-Parented and he needs Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut to be his Mothers: so they are his Mothers and both his Parents.

This sounds remarkably similar to something Aset once said to me about RPDs.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »
Em hotep Rehen!

This is my thought regarding this and may or may not reflect something similar said somewhere else. We are all different, we come from different places (both metaphorically and physically), and we all need different things. What I, as a person need, is vastly different than what you might need, and vice versa.

While there is the ba and ka creation argument, I also feel it's equally an argument of us being claimed by our RPD Netjeru when we step forward and say "I'm ready to know and handle the responsibility of knowing, even if I may be wrong in calling x my Parent now." We're claiming them at the same time they are claiming us; though we can chose to accept it or reject it, we still have the responsibility of knowing.

Serqet-Aset is my Mother; I'm single-Parented. I need to be single-Parented and I need Serqet-Aset to be my Parent: so she is my only Mother and only Parent. Hau'utmuti is my brother; Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut are his Mothers and he is dual-Parented. He needs to be dual-Parented and he needs Serqet-Aset and Hethert-Nut to be his Mothers: so they are his Mothers and both his Parents.

The same logic can be applied to our Beloved(s).

I've thought about this before, since I'm one of the folks with fewer Netjeru in my RPD (and I love confusing, unanswerable questions). This is the best understanding I've come up with thus far.

Senebty
Ra'awy

This explanation actually makes the most sense to me, thank you Ra'awy! This all arose because my friend asked me why I had six deities in my RPD lineup (I have 2 parents and 4 Beloveds) while someone else she knew had only two deities (One Parent and one Beloved), and I actually had no clue how to answer.
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:11:53 pm »
Em Hotep!

The way I see it is like this; My Mom is just so awesome and creatrix-y, so primordial that there are very few people that actually "get" her in anything more than a Beloved role. AFAIK, there are only two people who have Heqat is a Beloved, and I'm the only child divined of Her.

I see it as She's just...too big.

If She eventually decides to pick out or claim another of Her children, I'll be happy. If She doesn't, I'll be happy too.

Senebty!
~Rev. Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:11:59 pm »
Em Hotep

I believe that when our Parents create us, when they speak us into being they have a certain intention. After all the sound they make when doing it is our Ren, our true name and all our Gods in our RPG line are there to help to get us where we are supposed to be and sometimes the input from more Gods is needed/wated than at other times.

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:51 am »
Em hotep,

I am definitely a fan of Ra'awy's explanation. I was totally unsurprised, personally, about being dual-parented--I am a very contradictory person who can often hold two opposing opinions about something at the exact same time, so it just seemed fitting. In a way, my Mothers each correspond to the different sides of my personality, and by embracing them both I learn to embrace myself.

For Beloveds (which I consider to be a separate issue), I couldn't tell you why I have two and some people have five. I've always been someone who likes to pray to, venerate, and communicate with a variety of deities, so I actually expected to have more, but that's just not how things worked out. It's something I'm still thinking about.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295198
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything