Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: As a total newb, how do you know what you're doing is adequate?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline AnomanderRake

As a total newb, how do you know what you're doing is adequate?
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:10 pm »
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, or if what I'm trying to convey isn't getting across, but knowing practically nothing, how do I know if my woefully inadequate couple times weekly offerings of food in an informal way are actually getting across, and if they are, how do I know that it isn't just making them mad or angry at my inexperience, if that incredibly long sentence makes any sense?

I have no idea if what I'm doing is a temporary substitute for not having taken the classes or not.

I feel like I'm just making them mad for some reason, though it could just be me and they may not be mad at all.

Thanks

Edit: I feel kinda like I shouldn't be doing anything until I've taken some form of class/ until I know what on earth I'm doing.
LORD!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:09:55 pm by AnomanderRake »
LORD!

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Re: As a total newb, how do you know what you're doing is adequate?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:28:41 am »
Em hotep,

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1) Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing. Additionally, there are many practicing Kemetics who have never taken any sort of class, and simply figured it out on their own. There is a learning curve, and the Netjeru will understand that. I highly doubt that They are mad at you--it sounds more like you are mad at yourself. Don't be. You're learning. Learning is good!

2) In my experience: if They want you to be doing more, They will find a way to tell you, if you make yourself open to it. When I was a beginner, I would often sit in front of my shrine and say something like, "If there's something else You would like me to be doing, please let me know. I will try to make myself as open as possible, but sometimes I'm slow to get the message, so please make it as obvious as You can." In many cases, I got a great big nothing: I was already doing enough. Other times, something would happen in the next several days to let me know what else I should be doing.

I hope that helps!

Senebty.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:48 am »
In peace :)
In my opinion, it's all about honesty and common sense. The gods will let you know when something displease them in some way. I usually listen to my feelings, because the gods may be slipping through them. Feel good, and trust. Before get angry at you, they will want to teach/guide you if you let it.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:53:51 pm by hernane_c »
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Zemity

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:02 am »
Em hotep :)
when I started out, informal offerings were pretty much all I could do as well. I don't think there's any shame in it.
Especially when you're first starting out, and keeping open to all the Names, I think it would be pretty hard to upset any one of them without explicitly trying to. The Names will probably be flitting in and out - checking you out, checking your offerings out: if they like what they see, they might stick around :) if you aren't what they're looking for, they might just move on, but they won't hold it against you at all

When I was starting out, I'd just offer stuff like water and bits of sandwich - to a Name in particular if I felt they were around. I also had a little informal shrine where I put general offerings like gemstones and things :) Doesn't sound like much, but it worked out fine for me, so any effort you're making to include Netjer in your life I'm sure the Names will be appreciating :D

Hope that helps a bit~

Senebty!
Zemity
"(of the) two desert ones"

Son of Serqet-Aset and Set
Beloved of Djehuty, Khnum and Heru-Wer

Self-care Serqet-Aset and Heru-Wer Keeper

Online Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:44:20 am »
My opinion and experience are the same as everyone here. Bread, water, and beer (if you can legally drink) are good for offerings. Keep the space clean and be reasonably clean yourself when you come to Them. Also work on developing a relationship with your ancestors.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:06:11 am »
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, or if what I'm trying to convey isn't getting across, but knowing practically nothing, how do I know if my woefully inadequate couple times weekly offerings of food in an informal way are actually getting across, and if they are, how do I know that it isn't just making them mad or angry at my inexperience, if that incredibly long sentence makes any sense?

Trust yourself. Trust your instincts on who wants what when, trust your perceptions to note when an offering is or isn't well received. That's the hardest part of any of this, but there's no getting around it. You know more than you think you do.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:16:57 pm »
Thank guys, I'll definitely be pondering these things in the next couple of days.

LORD!
LORD!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295198
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955