collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How private are you about your faith?  (Read 8719 times)

Offline EMECOR

• Remetj
How private are you about your faith?
« on: December 19, 2015, 04:50:13 am »
Hello folx,

I am very green in figuring out the tenets and practices of Kemetic Orthodoxy, as in I haven't even been here for a year. Some friends and family members have asked me questions about the faith and I never feel I can be fully open about it since I myself am still navigating my relationship with Bast. But the bigger reason I never like to talk about it is that I live in an area that's almost entirely conservative-Christian and something like this most likely will be seen as strange or possibly concerning by most people. My own friends that know about it have been supportive, but even my family does not know despite being agnostic/atheist. I just don't know how they would respond to something this obscure.

Obviously this has not deterred my actual faith in Bast, but I feel like I need to be private about it, and I don't really know if I like that. Has anyone else experienced similar apprehension about talking with others about KO? If you have been here a while, did you become more open as time went on, or did you decide to keep things personal?

Thanks for the input!

Offline Katbast

• Shemsu
Re: How private are you about your faith?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:20:19 am »
It depends. For the most part I am very private about my religion as a whole. I'll talk to my boyfriend about it or when I go to pantheacon but that's really about it.

I just really don't feel the need honestly. Sometimes I'll read books about mythology or religion at work but I tend to just pass it off with an "I like to study religion for fun".
Daughter of Bast, beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Wepwawet-Yinepu

(Bast's plan or Bast's device)

Etsy

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:48:20 am »
I have told most people I know. However half of my extended family is southern baptist so I don't really mention it to them. No one really cares where I am, a secondary city in Ohio (not one of the big C cities).

My husband has a real fear about people being offended or just plain crazy over religion. But I try to reassure him and work with local groups who are similar alternative religions.

My boss however is cool, but her town is highly Catholic. So I don't say a thing unless asked.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 My Carrd

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »
I usually don't talk about my religion, and I do not feel the need to do this. I realized that most people just want to know if I believe in God or not, so I never explain many details.
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:27:08 pm »
Em Hotep Emecor,

As Katbast said, it all depends. For me, it mostly depends who I am talking to. Some of the people I work with know, and know I was ordained this past summer. Others I don't actively engage with them about it because I am unsure of the reception. I'm also careful about what details I go into, only because too much talking about God can make some people uneasy.

My family knows, and I am open about my faith and ordination to those that a re closest to me. The most surprising support I gained was from one of the Professors (now my academic advisor) at University.

If people have questions about the faith, I am more than happy to answer what I can, but also encourage them to come here and look around as well. I also tell them that the Beginner's Class is available at no cost and no obligation if they choose, but it gives them a good primer.

Basically, trust your intuition when it comes to opening up about your faith with people you love and think you can trust.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Abybastmut

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »
Em Hotep!

Personally I choose to be open about my Faith but only recently that I finally figured out my orientation and belonging to a specific Pantheon and Parents.
For many years I was searching and experimenting which was fine among my peer group but not to outsiders that thought I was dealing with forces of darkness,  heresies and maybe even be part of a cult.  None of which was true but my flamboyant appearance made them wonder.
I also enjoyed experimenting with Pagan inspired fashions and accessories like ankhs,  wadjat ect.
To make a long story short,  now that I am settled and assured regarding my belief system I choose to be open and I am better received now that I have my ideas clear and can explain where I stand without people guessing and going wild imagining,  but I am also ready to defend my stand and don't let them belittle and minimize my choices in comparison to theirs.
I am a firm believer in equal right and freedom of faith and relating in mutual respect in a peaceful environment.
Hope this helps but everyone has their way and ultimatly their life. Blessings,
Abybastmut
ABYBASTMUT "The Panther of Bast-Mut"
Sat Bast-Mut
Meryt Auset-Serqet her Hethert - Sekhmet her Djehuti

I seem to have loved You in numberless forms,  numberless times, in life after life, in age after age, FOREVER!
(by Rabindranath Tagore)

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:11 pm »
Because of my public-servant job, I am fairly private about my faith.  Many people know I'm not a Christian, but I don't share what I do believe with the general community.

All my adult family knows I worship the Egyptian Gods, and I will share what KO believes if asked, but I don't talk much about personal aspects of faith with them.  Occasionally I've shared things with my sister, and one of my Aunts asks me questions from time to time.  (I noticed that, while no-one else asks, all ears perk up when I answer that Aunt.) 

My brother asked early on that I not talk about my religion with his children (did he think I would try to convert them?)  For the purpose of family harmony, I've complied.  Which means I don't talk about it with my sister's kids either.  If they ask when they are older, I'll tell them the basics.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Rev. Tjemsy

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:47:11 pm »
My parents know I have some kind of weird hipster mythology religion, but it's dangerous for me to ever discuss it at all. My mom has been calling me Satan's child my whole life, more or less, and that has nothing to do with my actual religious practice. She's just trying to say I'm "evil." My sister knows I'm pagan, because there was a period where she was exploring that, as well, but she ended up going in the same direction as my parents and calling everything Satan blah blah, so she's behind the times, so to speak. I wasn't Kemetic at that point, and was still figuring out that Set was Set. My sister and mother know I do tarot, but they find such to be "evil" and "fake" respectively.

At work, my coworkers are pretty sure I'm not Christian, but sometimes they forget that. I'll wear my ankh to all work-related events, but no one seems to take notice of it.

My roommates know I'm Kemetic, because they live with me so it's kind of hard to miss. They act as if they have no problem with my practices, but are mostly dismissive of them. Many of my friends know I do tarot. My other friends are at varying degrees of awareness, from knowing I'm Kemetic to not really understanding it, to knowing there's something going on there but not bothering to figure out what. There are some who are pagan or otherwise inclined toward such things, or better, Kemetic themselves, who I will talk to at length and with enthusiasm. Unless you're close to me, I won't give you much; I generally ask more questions than anything, and use the answers to draw conclusions in my head. But with a Kemetic friend, I'll merrily talk about even personal interactions with NTR, and never feel once uncomfortable. Many of them know I do tarot and astrology and stuff.

In public, I will openly wear my ankh at every opportunity. I've also worn knee socks with the Wadjet eye on them, stuff like that. I have thought about wearing an explicitly Kemetic shirt (like one of those "Set Kids Burn It Up") in public, but I've not actually done so yet. I wouldn't wear it to work, for example, but I would when shopping or hanging out or what have you. I nearly bought a Set-themed phone cover, but decided against it only because I didn't want to have to attempt explaining why he's not Satan to my boss. No reason he can't be my phone background, though. I'd wear a Kemetic pin or something pretty much everywhere but work, as well.  I like the idea of changing my license plate to "DUA SET," since he pretty much owns my car, and I want to hang Kemetic amulets from my mirror. If I had some kind of Kemetic-stick-figure-sticker I'd slap that on there, too.

My Facebook actually says I'm Kemetic and Shemsu and all that, but I suppose no one especially looks at that, or if they have, no one's mentioned anything about it.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | RevTjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 08:50:06 am »
I keep it to myself, I just don't bring it up. My mom and boyfriend know, but I'm not going to tell the rest of my conservative christian family. My boyfriend thinks the rituals are weird, but is accepting of it. Same with my mom. I have Egyptian imagery on a lot of my things, but people just think I'm a history buff.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 04:16:02 am »
I'm as private about my faith being KO as I would be if I was Christian. To me it's a personal thing and although I may tell people or it may come up, I'm not rushing to tell them.
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Ahaienhethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 06:31:11 am »
Hope it's cool if I jump in here! I'm very open about it but at the same time I don't volunteer the information. Like if it comes up or someone asks I'll happily tell them and answer whatever questions they have but I won't go throwing it at everyone. I'm lucky enough to live in a city where I know I won't be run out into the bush for my beliefs, although I might not be 100% welcome at reunions to my old Christian high school  :P

My immediate family knows because I still live with them and I'd never want to hide anything from them, they're extremely accepting but they're all either atheist or agnostic so they don't really see the point in it but as long as I'm happy, they're happy. Outside of that my girlfriend and my closest childhood friend know aaaand that's about it! Everyone who knows me knows I'm an ancient history buff so seeing me with an ankh necklace or the like is pretty standard.

Although in saying all that, it's not something I'd mention to a potential employer or home leaser juuuust in case.
"I attend to Hethert-Nut"
----
Sat Hethert-Nut, meryt Aset-Serqet her Sekhmet-Mut
----

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:47 am »
I'll discuss it IF people seem interested and open-mind, but other than that, I keep it to myself, partly because I don't feel that it's appropriate to throw religion into other people's faces without an invitation, and partly because I'm an extremely private person in general. I don't believe that there's anything about me that's anyone else's business - not my friends, not my family, not my boyfriend. The question "How are you?" instantly makes me incredibly angry. I've come to the conclusion that it's a result of the way I was treated when I was younger - I was constantly being dragged to doctors, therapists, and hospitals and forced into therapy and onto medications because other people didn't approve of me, with zero concern for whether or not I wanted to be "helped", so to me, any question about how I feel, who I am, or what I'm doing is a threat and I need to protect myself. So I don't tell anyone if I'm in physical pain until it's gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with it at all, I don't tell anyone if I'm in emotional pain because I don't want them intervening, I don't talk about my day because no one wants to hear that it was another miserable failure purely because I woke up, I don't talk about my hobbies because I don't need anyone telling me I need to learn other ways of functioning, I don't talk about my religion because I don't need anyone either trying to save me, or denigrating me because there are no gods. Basically I just try not to talk to anyone about anything, ever, unless I'm forced to because they won't shut up and leave me alone.
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Rev. Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:23:42 am »
It's complex for me. I don't actively hide it anymore if asked directly, but I do take care to keep any website/social media that I use for professional purposes (or which may be examined to that end) separate from my spiritual online presence. My mother-in-law and husband know everything, as do the majority of my close friends. My parents... honestly seem to choose not to know? They've seen my home, my shrines, and they've heard me perform praise songs to various Netjeru at public concerts where I performed at different conventions friendly to such things. But they very deliberately change the subject when it comes up, and have never asked about it. So I try to respect that and don't push it, while simultaneously not tucking anything away or changing my appearance (i.e. spiritual jewelry/Kemetic shirts) when they visit. It's a balance that everyone sorts for themselves, I suppose. :)
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Remenit

• W'ab (priest) - Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »
Em Hotep,

Saryt, I'm in a very similar position.

My parents are atheists, and although they know, they choose not to acknowledge it.

For everything else, with the exception of facebook where I have a separate filter for spirituality stuff which covers my paths, I don't actively show it, but I also don't hide it. My scarab often shows, I usually have an ankh somewhere on my body,  etc, but most people will usually just pass that by as part of my general oddness :-)

That said, although I don't explicitly hide it, it does seem to shock some friends when it comes up, probably for the reason that I don't feel the need to throw it around.
Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 03:26:05 pm »
Em hotep!

I try to keep a balance between private and open. With my close friends and immediate family it isn't a secret, but I don't talk about it unless it comes up. My friends are mostly agnostic, atheists, pagan, or liberal Catholics. My parents are (sometimes unfortunately) New Age whitelighters who try REALLY hard to understand my religion but don't always hit the mark. I talk the most with my husband, who is firmly agnostic - he is incredibly supportive and we have some pretty engaging conversations.

With my in-laws and extended family I generally avoid the conversation, though I know they know I have unusual beliefs.

With strangers, at work, and in public I avoid conversation. This is partly to avoid unnecessary conflicts and partly because at present I work in a Catholic institution. While I don't think I could lose my job for being a polytheist, it would certainly make things awkward, and I'd like to avoid that.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302195
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8