collapse collapse

* Donation Status

19%
Current donation status as of February 28, 2021 = $463.18 of $2,500
19%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Sir Nicholas Winton: A True Champion of Ma'at  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Gezemyinepu

• Shemsu
Sir Nicholas Winton: A True Champion of Ma'at
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:42 pm »
My fiancee brought up this amazing man to me last night in a discussion we were having. I remember reading about him years ago, and hadn't followed his story very closely. I was shocked and saddened to see he had passed away on July 1st, 2015.

I just wanted to share this man's story with you all.

Nicholas Winton was a British humanitarian who, just before the dawn of the Second World War, saved around 669 children (mostly Jewish) from Czechoslovakia. He arranged operation "Kindertransport" to find homes and safe passage for these children to Britain. The work was, of course, not without risk, especially as the War began to develop in the late 1930s.

He did this by setting up trains to run to take the children into Netherlands, to depart to England from the ferry at the Dutch town of Hoek Van Holland. This was one of the most difficult parts, as the Netherlands closed their borders to any Jewish refugees after Kristallnacht in 1938.

He had never told his story to anyone, and it was undiscovered for decades.

In 1988, Nicholas' wife had found a detailed scrapbook in their attic, containing a detailed account of the children he saved, including pictures, parent's names, and the addresses of families who took them in. His wife, with the help of a Holocaust researcher, was able to find 80 of the children he had saved.

The world found out of his acts in February, 1988. Nicholas was invited to be an audience member for the BBC show, "That's Life". They showed Nicholas' scrapbook at one point during the show, and the host then asked if anybody in the audience owed their lives to the man, to which over two dozen people stood. The video is below, if you'd like to view this.

Nicholas passed peacefully into the Duat on July 1st, 2015, at the age of 106, 76 years to the day after 241 children he had saved escaped Prague by train.

To me, this is one of my favorite stories in all of history. This "British Oskar Schindler" is an amazing example of a Champion of Ma'at, doing everything he did to protect what he felt was right even when the rest of the European world was against him. It was not for fame, nor glory; no-one even knew of his exploits for more than forty years. It was simply a humble man doing what was right in a world when no one else would.

This, to me, is the ultimate example of someone living in Ma'at, upholding true justice and compassion to these children who may have never had a chance to live any other way. Ma'at has prevailed.

This man's story is an inspiration to me, and I hope you'll enjoy it as well. I keep a little something in remembrance of his acts on my altar. 

May he find peace and comfort in the Duat.

Read more about Nicholas here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Winton

The video of the audience at "That's Life": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0
|𓐛𓊃𓄣𓅓𓃤|
Gezemyinepu|"Anointed by Yinepu"
𓃤 𓃕 𓃨
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet | Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
☥|Sau Apprentice|☥

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Sir Nicholas Winton: A True Champion of Ma'at
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:05 pm »
I recall reading about this earlier, and hadn't realized that he was still living until July this year.

May his Ka be justified in the West.

Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 03:12:27 am »
*grabs an entire box of tissues*

Thank you for sharing this story.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:57:45 am »
It's wonderful to know about Sir Nicholas, a true hero!  Thank you for sharing his fascinating story.

Blessings to his Ka!

Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Remenit

• W'ab (priest) - Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:40:00 pm »
I remember reading about him in History classes when I was in high school, and being shown the video. His work still bring a tear to my eye, and is an inspiration for me.
Remenit Nesyutenmutes
-
Child of Sekhmet and Nit
Beloved of Bast, Yinepu and Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3349
  • stats Total Posts: 300677
  • stats Total Topics: 20684
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955