Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Some Questions About Set  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Abhenaisenu

• Shemsu
Some Questions About Set
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »
I poked around a bit before posting this but since it's not so much a question about Him I hoped it would be safe to ask directly (in a way that's not asking the same as ten other posts, I mean!).

I was looking into some tags on KO (on tumblr no less, forgive me, I was curious) but I was actually finding some things that surprised and generated some thought and questions.

As a beginner (and an antsy one at that ngl -- I am excited!) I have stepped back in my ritual to be more inclusive in that I try to simply honour the Netjer rather than calling out specific Names as I am used to so I can be open-minded and ready for anything in the future. Tonight I noticed some posts there about people who discovered they had Set coming forward in their RPD and I got to wondering. How is that? By that I don't mean HOW COULD THAT BE but more like.. what is it like for those of you who may work with Him regularly or have Him pop up with something? I have never feared Him and never thought of him as evil or fallen into the typical misconceptions of things. I like to think I have had a pretty good grasp of His role in things. But given that I learned much from my mother with what I had been doing before starting the beginner class she and I had never included Him. In her case she felt like to do so might be to invite chaos. I don't think anyone wants to invite chaos but I realise it's not always a bad time. An example would be like a friend of ours who works with Norse deities and regularly works with Loki. She expects a certain degree of chaos because she works with Loki. So when she had her washing machine flood her laundry room she realised after the fact that it was Loki at work BUT she also later found out that if that hadn't happened the machine would have had a catastrophic failure and done thousands of dollars of damages to her home. And so, chaos with a great purpose! It might have actually saved lives not to mention the insurance she got from the first incident saved her family financially. Not to say that Loki and Set are similar entities in that way, but I feel like if you are going to have chaos at all at least it should be for a good purpose, yes?

I'm simply curious what is is like to work with Him. In the future I would like to leave offerings for Him, particularly on days devoted to Him. And should He ever speak to me in my life I'm interested to know what kind of things to expect when He does show up for people. I am not sure unless He dropped something obvious on my head I would ever know He was really speaking!

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
Re: Some Questions About Set
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:18:26 pm »
Hello!  :D
I had my rpd last night and Set appeared as a beloved. If I remember correctly, Set made an appearance in all three rpd's from last night!

(from here on out, this is my UPG)
For me, working with Set is unpredictable. I get along well with him, he's like an old friend. He likes to joke around a lot and he has a bold personality. BUT I never know when he's going to show up or what he's up to. He will sometimes show up just to hang out and that's cool. Other times he shows up and something goes terribly wrong in my life. The damage he does can be fairly small or extreme, and I never know which one it'll be. I don't enjoy it when Set is tearing things down, but he paves the way for me to make my life better. I get mad sometimes when things are going wrong, but he doesn't care. I think he kind of likes it when I get a bit of an attitude with him, it amuses him (because what can I do? haha).
He likes for me to have a carefree attitude and really enjoys it when I stand up for myself or friends that are being treated poorly. He pushes for me to be more confident and sure of myself.

As for offerings, I've found that he really enjoys hearty, hot or spicy food. Mexican food, tacos in particular, seem to be a favorite of his.  He loves to eat. xD I also sing songs to him as an offering.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Meni-itui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:01 am »
I had my RPD on thrusday too, and Set appeared as my Father. And what can I say? I'm already a Daddy's little girl.

I agree with every single word obsidianservant said - especially the part of getting amused when we are angry or with an attitude. And UPG alert from now on:
Set is really present in my life. When I'm walking, or with nothing to do, He always shows up to talk. And he is so present and loud that I had some difficulties to hear from the other Gods on my lineup - but, of course, They made their presence clear too.

Regarding the way Set acts, I like to do a little comparison. Imagine that you have a dislocated shoulder, and you know you have to fix that, but you're scared because it'll hurt a lot. He won't wait for your permission, He'll just put the shoulder in the right place, not matter how much you scream. But then, He'll hold you, and be with you, until the pain is gone. And you'll be so much better!
There's no "this is a bad situation, but I'm okay" with Him.

But He'll also respect you. He'll make you stronger, but He won't give you more than you can take.

I always offer to Him orange rum, dark chocolate and myrrh incense. He really likes when I sing (even if I'm not a great singer).
Meni-itui
"My two fathers establish me."

Sat Set her Djehuty
Meryt Ra her Heru-Wer

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »
I view Set as the Divine Demolitions Expert :);  Super cool and fun to hang out with when He's off-duty; Awe-inspiring when you watch Him at work from a distance; Terrifying when He's dismantling your life.  I don't mind the little shake-ups, as change is life, but I do everything I can to avoid His storms.

He is Necessary Destruction.  He is at once the end and the beginning of Creation. If you remember to keep this foremost in your mind when interacting with Him, things will make more sense.  They won't be easy, and you may not do them willingly, but they'll make sense.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Abhenaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »
Thank you all for your replies!

Not sure if I missed it somewhere, but what does UPG mean? I just want to make sure I'm clear on all the lingo especially. :D

But anyhoo, I am glad to hear what you all have said. I'm not sure what I was expecting exactly but everything all three of you have described definitely brought a smile to my face. The Gods that have spoken most loudly to me so far have done so in ways where I am definitely aware of Their sense of humour and Their distinct personalities and I am glad that He is much the same in that regard (though not to say that there are those that don't possess that but of course the more gentle Gods and Goddesses come across as just that and sometimes I have a hard time hearing Them). I seem to get along well with the more outspoken, fiery Gods who find things funny so even if he is the Divine Demolitions Expert as you put it, Tahai, I am excited to finally have the opportunity to get to know Him properly! In fact, thinking back on it, I can identify a few instances where it was probably His doing but since I hadn't considered His involvement I didn't have an opportunity to acknowledge my eventual gratitude because stressful as it was at the time it really helped in the long run.

Also: congratulations on your RPDs!

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:04:38 am »
UPG =  Unverified or Unverifiable Personal Gnosis
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:23:42 am »
Em Hotep, all!

(Congratulations, Cherry and Obsidian on your RPD!)

Regarding Set and singing, I pondered that today while doing Senut.  I looked at my icons, and thought, maybe I'm getting the "Please sing" more from Hethert, after all, she is the Goddess of singing and dance.  So I starting singing.  This time I dared to sing at full voice, and felt Set smiling.  It's the courage to sing BOLDLY which pleases Set! (Tears came to my eyes, I admit!)

As for Set and the "necessary destruction", yes I do feel prods from him when it's necessary to clear out the ugly "clutter" and 'rebuild' better!

Senebty!

Neheh...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:25:18 am by Senuwierneheh »
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Abhenaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:30:54 am »
UPG =  Unverified or Unverifiable Personal Gnosis

Thank you for this! :D

And again, thanks everyone else for replying!

It's gotten me thinking on things for sure as I think back on my experiences and I do think that He has been there for some interesting experiences. As an example I was definitely on the verge of like burning out pretty major with my school/work schedule at one point last year and my stress was at the max because I also had a convention I wanted to go to that I'd saved a lot of money for and had reservations for and prior committments and basically there was no way I wasn't going but I couldn't figure out how to work around my existing stress.

And then for no good reason I was washing my hands in my bathroom and there was nothing slippery on the floor or anything and I wasn't dizzy or anything like that. It kind of felt like someone shoved me from behind and I ended up bumping my head on the sink. Besides the unfortunate goose egg I had there was nothing major external but I did end up with a minor concussion and I couldn't do much of anything and had a bunch of medical documentation at the end of everything to back that up. Ultimately my school gave me time off and that gave me five weeks to finish all the projects I needed to do as well as attend the convention (though I had to take it easy there but I got to go!) without panicking about my work and schedule. Having a concussion sucked but in the end it was quite literally a blessing because it all fell into place. The more I've been thinking of it the more I feel like He had something to do with it and I can only look back on that and laugh because hell, that's one way of solving that problem! Since then I've been a lot less stressed and prone to crippling anxiety (I tend to jump to worst case scenarios a lot because I can't be disappointed? X3) about when things seem to go wrong because I feel like there's probably a reason for the temporary down turn. :3

Now that I'm much more open and understanding of His role (beyond the mythology and how He's appeared to you all personally) I feel much more comfortable opening myself up to His messages should they come my way in the future.

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8