collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Would this count as service?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Abhenaisenu

• Shemsu
Would this count as service?
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:55 am »
Em hotep!

Before I popped off the forum for class I felt I should post here and so.. I have! :3

Ever since I have been drawn to this path -- first through my own introduction to the Netjer in my own independent worship and now through the Beginner's class (which has been wonderful!) -- I have felt a very strong calling from Netjer to serve. In fact, in my private prayer I have often closed anything I might send Their way whether through my more formal rituals or spontaneous prayer with "please protect me so that I may serve". Service has always been like an instinctive part of this for me. Even if I do not ask Them for specific assistance in my life and I am simply thanking Them for their presence I feel like They have put me here with what gifts I have so that I can share them with others.

I am very involved in the metaphysical studies and communities and I feel like it is an integral part of my personal spirituality. Presently I work as a reader at a local shop in my area. I have not been doing it for very long and I was highly doubtful of my abilities. I am young and my abilities to do these things have really only developed over the last year and a half or so, so when faced with experienced practitioners who have decades of experience behind them it was pretty daunting. I was really on the fence about trying out for the position, but I felt like I was being pushed in that direction. I tried out and I was surprised that the woman who I read for who has been reading for at least three decades was impressed with me. And so, that's that. :)

I am charitable in more tangible ways, I guess you can say. I give to charities and I help out with children's toy drives at Christmas and things like that but to make a long story short here I wondered if what I am doing is considered "serving the world"? Is reading for people a way to express Ma'at in another way in addition to service that comes from working with my own two hands or giving money to help? I don't do what I do for the money; that always felt wrong to me. It's a nice bonus for the work I do, but not my central focus. I personally feel like I'm helping people -- they come to me looking for some insight into their worries or their hopes and I feel like I can give that to them. But ultimately is that viewed as a true service seeing as there are so many things one can do to truly change the lives of people in need and the way of things in this world? When I have ever hoped for abundance I have always done so with the knowledge that I will share what I am blessed with and even then I am willing to give of what I do have, but until I have the means with the career I'm seeking and the secure lifestyle I am but one little card reader at a little shop in a little city. If there's more I could be doing, I would certainly like to know about it!

Thank you all for your input!
Senebty!

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Would this count as service?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:53:59 am »
Service can be nearly anything that contributes to Ma'at and fur thing Ma'at in the world. If you feel people are being helped then that can be seen as s type of service. Our particular brand of divination Fedw is done only in service, no money. I feel this makes Fedw a pure service, easier to distinguish who it is really for.  Then again your services, your effort as a reader is one that needs or deserved payment for your living.

I have also been all about service for almost my entire spiritual path. Serving the gods and being of service to people. I nearly wiped myself out with this driving need. I stretched myself thin and could not easily function. So be aware that you have limits and that you need time for you.

One of the services I did that o think you may also enjoy is interfaith work. I volunteered in my local Cuups group doing events and being an officer. All their major gatherings and events were my personal pet projects. I served until Netjer asked me to stop because my work there was done. But it is another way to serve in spirituality.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »
Em Hotep,

I do service in several different ways myself; most notably with the Manitoba Memory Box program as a volunteer artist, and secondly as a cosplayer for charity events. Last year, I was able to get together with a group of local cosplayers to make a short super-hero themed video about the local Food Bank (Winnipeg Harvest) and how to/ inspire people to donate food items.

I don't think it matters much how you do your service, but more in that you do a service for people. That is how we bring Ma'at into the world, is by bringing our particular brand of service into it by our performance.

Just my thoughts anyway. :)

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Would this count as service?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:02:11 am »
I do my service for cats.. Haha! There is a local cat shelter here, and I try to go there at least a few times every year and shave down as many matted kitties as they have. I don't charge for it, and I'm often bleeding by the end of the day.. But the cats are no longer matted and usually adopt out faster. I like animals a lot more than I like people, so that's what makes sense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satbast (Daughter of Bast)
Sat Bast, Meryt Ptah
"The wildest of the wild things was the Cat. He walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." -Rudyard Kipling

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »
There was a time when I would have argued that doing a reading or something similar would not be service, or even healthy, but I have since reappraised and changed my view on that. A person needs to eat, after all. And most every path has some equivalent to the old rune that says, "A gift demands a gift." Equivalent exchange, and all that. Not always equal, but equivalent.

The main questions, in my opinion, would therefore be: why are you doing this, and are you giving more than you take? I think that to maintain healthy relations with the rest of the universe, one should give at least as much as one takes. But in order to help others heal and grow, however indirectly or directly, one gives a little more than one takes. Not in monetary amounts, but in value and in aid; not in each individual case (though that's often a goal), but overall.

So if you are seeking to help others, and are overall giving more to them in your readings than they are giving you in $dough$, then I'd say it's probably service. If you're in it for the money (which it sounds like you're not), or are just giving enough insight to get by (which, again, it sounds like you're not), then it's a job.

As they said towards the end of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood... if we all take ten and give ten, then nothing changes. If we all take ten and give eleven, then we're helping the world to become better. I don't remember the exact quote, but that's the gist of it.

Service is making the world better, without bleeding out more than you can healthily give. So, give eleven.  8)

Just my two bits.
--Coyote.
“I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself.”
-- Pietro Aretino, 10 May 1537.

* Most Recent Topics

topic India and Egypt
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
MauMau981
January 25, 2021, 08:47:36 pm
topic Sekhmet face masks
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
MauMau981