collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How do I reach out and find the Gods who want to work with me.  (Read 3755 times)

Offline AnomanderRake

How do I reach out and find the Gods who want to work with me.
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:49:33 pm »
Edit: after all that, to me, it all boils down to the fact that I don't know/ can't tell if the Gods are even there listening or accepting my offerings. Because I don't know, it makes me fear the worst, that they don't care and I'll be talking to no one and I'll never find out. (Finding that out took an hour of reading other's experiences btw) :P

Should I just wait for the classes to start and stop bothering everyone with ignorent, stupid, noob questions like these? If so you might as well stop reading and just tell me :P

Do I talk aloud in front of my makeshift, plain, skimpy shrine? Do I say the words in my head instead? How do I let the Gods know that I'd like to work with them (even though I'm obviously a total noob who knows close to nothing and hasn't taken the beginner class yet).
I feel like anything I try to do I'll do wrong.
Even if I manage to communicate to them in some way, how am I supposed to tell if they heard or acknowledged me? How do I know they even care? How do I tell who's communicating back if anyone does?

I'm really REALLY bad at pretty much everything to do with religion and relationships but I feel like I should be doing more, (an embarrassingly large amount of that stemming from the fact that reading everyone else's experiences makes me feel inferior, and why would they want to talk to me when they've got you?)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:51:05 am by AnomanderRake »
LORD!

Offline AnomanderRake

Re: How do I reach out and find the Gods who want to work with me.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:54:51 pm »
That turned from a "how do I do things" to "I don't feel I'm good enough" astonishingly quickly. :/ and it's both, I s'pose.
LORD!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:53:57 am »
This is kind of a complicated question, because the answer can be different for everyone. Personally, I notice signs.. Certain things that show up in my day to day that become patterns or that are just unusual in their number of occurrences.. Like seeing Hawks everywhere, or cats being unusually friendly.. Little odd stuff. Sometimes it's the Name themselves popping up in literature or tv programs.. Logically, it could just be you notice stuff more when you are looking for/are sensitive to it.. But I take it as communication.

You can certainly talk at your shrine, or to yourself.. Whatever feels comfortable to you. I think it's natural to feel awkward at times, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satbast (Daughter of Bast)
Sat Bast, Meryt Ptah
"The wildest of the wild things was the Cat. He walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." -Rudyard Kipling

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:56:44 am »
Also, try not to let that inferior feeling grow. You are just as "worthy" as the next person, and there is literally no wrong way to go about finding your faith. It's a journey, and like all journeys, there is going to be some rough and uncomfortable spots from time to time.. Don't let that dissuade you from your path. You'll be fine as long as you keep at it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satbast (Daughter of Bast)
Sat Bast, Meryt Ptah
"The wildest of the wild things was the Cat. He walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." -Rudyard Kipling

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
How do I reach out and find the Gods who want to work with me.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:46 am »
Em hotep AnomanderRake,

All your expressed concerns are legitimate, so don't feel bad expressing them.  You're not alone and this is not the first time I've heard these things. 

Being patient for the class is key.  The reason is, once it starts you'll be surrounded in live chat with other beginners and some of our priests.  I know the anticipation and how strong it is; we've all been there in your shoes.  Don't stop asking questions though.  We're here to help as much as possible.

Some of the Netjeru are very quiet, while others are more outgoing. 

Here are a couple bullets of advice:
• Try to meditate, or if you have the "Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book" by Hemet, try doing Senut.  Having a clear head can mean the difference for understanding and not.
• Learn to interoperate each Netjeru.  I have an eclectic line up and each one communicates differently.  Sometimes I hear/feel explicit words or messages and other times I just have an emotional response that seems completely out of nowhere.
• Be conscious that not all communication is obvious.  I mentioned it briefly above, but would like to expand further.  For me, this happens most often when I'm hiking, swimming, or anywhere dealing with nature.  These moments are anywhere from a creature making me smile, to brief periods of enlightenment.  Be on the look out for these small signs that may be Netjer in disguise!
• Don't get discouraged, as hard as it is.

I hope this helps a little.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:12 am »
Em Hotep AnomanderRake,

What Satbast is talking about is very correct. Religion, Faith and Spirituality are very much a journey, and part of the learning is the journey.

As for the feelings of inadequacy and some of the heart eating that you are doing...

Are you familiar with the concept of Self-Compassion? Its pretty self explanatory; its giving compassion to yourself, from yourself. We live in a society and culture that very much fixates on us being, acting, behaving, thinking and doing things at a nearly impossible standard of perfection that is also fed by our notions of inadequacy. We compare ourselves to others, and criticize ourselves for not being to the standard we perceive in others.

You're worried about the Gods not being there, about them not accepting your offerings, and about the fear and doubt...

We call it eating your heart, for a very good reason. Its a common thing, but it does a dis-service I think, to beat ourselves up when we really have no reason to do so.

As Satbast said, its a journey, and some days will be better than others. The important thing is to learn from those experiences. Acknowledge them when they happen, but don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes the Gods will be as loud as a raging tornado and thunderstorm, or they can be as quiet as stone and a whisper of wind. The journey is to learn to see Them in all parts of your life, from the time you wake up, to the time you go to sleep.

Rayashi has some great points too.

My thoughts? Keep doing as you are doing. Relax. Talk out loud or in your mind, which-ever is more comfortable. Don't worry about the negative voice in the back of your mind that tells you its stupid, or wrong, or silly. Write things out if you find it more helpful. You are establishing a relationship with the Gods, and sometimes you need to just put the intention out there before someone can pick it up to examine it.

Hope this helps.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 06:53:37 am »
Firstly, breathe. 

Secondly, any time you wonder if the Gods love you, the answer is yes.  They love you because that's what They do.  They may not always be thrilled with every little thing you do, but They love you by default. 

I think Maret is right.  Work on some self compassion.  Don't worry about flashy communication with the Gods, energy work, astral stuff, journeying, all those bells and whistles.  As cool as those things sounds, they're not necessary. And the best way to build a relationship with Gods is to build one with yourself.  Which is to do as Yashi suggested . . . meditate.

Meditation is a spiritual practice designed to bring about self knowledge and compassion for all beings, including oneself.  It takes a lot of practice and discipline.  It's easy to get frustrated.

What I started doing is just setting the goal to meditate 10 minutes per day.  You can do anything for ten minutes per day.  Including suck at meditation.  :)  There are lots of things on the web about how to do it.  But basically, this . . .  Just sit comfortably and focus on your breath.  Don't try to corral your thoughts because you won't be able to.  Just notice them as you would notice a butterfly in your garden.  And let them go without judgment.  When you realize you're lost in a train of thought, don't beat yourself up.   Just notice and recenter.  For 10-20 minutes every day.  At the end of each session, do something the Buddhists call "dedicating the merit".  It's basically offering the benefit of your session to the world.  Offer it to the world, offer it to netjer if you like, but offer it. 

And one more word . . . I used to be rather jealous of all the flashy stuff I would read about other's experiences with the divine.  And well . . .  I really do think that sometimes when we may think we are talking to Gods, we're really just talking to ourselves.  I've done it myself.  It's easy enough to do.  It's something to be mindful of. 

Senebty,

Taji
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Sheshibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:02:07 am »
Everyone has given some great advice here already. Meditation is a really great way to begin to open up to the divine. Finding the stillness within your own heart and mind is key. Once you can find quiet inside, you are better able to "hear" any communication coming from the Gods.

It takes practice. First, to learn how to find that quiet place within, and more practice to learn how to recognize when the Netjer are there. Sometimes it's an image, or a feeling, sometimes you hear something. Some people get very clear and concrete experiences. Some people, like me, just don't. For me, it's a feeling more than anything else. And it took a long time to begin experiencing it as an adult. As a child, with a very active imagination, it was much easier! And maybe it was just my imagination- but to me, that's ok.

Like Taji said- sometimes we are just talking to ourselves. But I have faith that the Netjer are there as well, using my own mind and heart and imagination to communicate with me. I think that is the key- having faith and trusting that They are there, and They are talking using whatever tools They can to get through to us.
Senebty,

Sheshibast

Bast refines me
sat Bast meryt Sekhmet-Hethert

Self-care Bast & Sekhmet Advocate

Online Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:42:23 am »
You are doing fine and many things will begin to happen as you step on this path.
Be patient with yourself and for the classes.  A lot of Named may come to greet you as you step into this journey. So take your time to meet all of them and in their very different way.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 My Carrd

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 303997
  • stats Total Topics: 21093
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal