collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Parent figures not in your RPD result  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Tashepsut

• Shemsu
Parent figures not in your RPD result
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:39 pm »
I've become curious if anyone has other Names that they call "Mom" or "Dad" that were not who came forth as a parent during your RPD. Bast is my Mother and I always think and address her as such. But I've caught myself calling Taweret Mom almost every time I think of her. I have the same problem with Ra. I think of him as Dad and I scold myself for it. I feel guilty. Bast is the one who claimed me so why do I automatically think of these two as parents as well? I always apologize to Bast when I catch myself and claim that she is still my only spiritual mother. I really do feel bad, even if I have never caught heat for it.

I think I know why I do it. Taweret is a very motherly figure, and I latch on to that and can't help but feel her energy as maternal and so without thinking I address her as Mom. Ra is a very strong, fatherly figure in my eyes. So once again that energy is messing up with my internal dialogue.

I still feel guilty though and so I wonder if anyone else has this problem? Maybe even with gods and goddesses outside of the Kemetic Orthodoxy. How do you deal with the situation?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:43:45 pm by Tashepsut »
Tashepsutbast "The Nobility of Bast"
Bast, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Taweret, and Ra

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Parent figures not in your RPD result
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 03:37:46 pm »
Hotep

Even though Wesir is a beloved of mine I do view and address him as Father or Dad.  That's the relationship we have but he didn't come forward as a Father for the RPD.  So unless you hear differently from the netjer I think you have no reason to feel guilty.

Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »
I feel guilty. Bast is the one who claimed me so why do I automatically think of these two as parents as well? I always apologize to Bast when I catch myself and claim that she is still my only spiritual mother. I really do feel bad, even if I have never caught heat for it.

I really don't think they care what we call any of them or suffer the petty jealousies humans do. Respect all gods you interact with and call them whatever feels appropriate. No need to feel guilty.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:23:51 pm »
I call Aset Mom (She is nowhere in my RPD) as well as calling Seshat Mom (Who Is my original Beloved), because while neither is "maternal" with me, They are both protective and watch out for me, and shove me back on my feet as soon as I am ready. Dad doesn't mind one bit. He knows where He stands with me. :)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Rev. Tjemsy

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:25 pm »
Taweret's warm, nurturing personality may lead people to think of her as a mother figure. I've heard many Taweret devotees refer to her as such, and while she and I are not close yet, I do think that "Mama Taweret" is an appropriate nickname for her. I think it's perfectly fine to have multiple mother/father figures, and would assume that if any of your NTR had a problem with you saying so, they'd let you know.

None of my other Beloveds have particularly stood out for me as mother/father figures, though as we grow closer that may change with time. Set is very clearly my father - he refers to me as his daughter/his child, as do other NTR - but in an odd sort of way. He's clearly communicated to me that I should not consider him to be "above" me, so calling him dad/father in place of his name seems strange to me. I will say he's my father, that I am a child of Set, a Set-Kid, and a daughter of Set, but I call him by his name. I get the sense that if I were to be calling other NTR my "father" he would have something to say about that, but having a fatherly relationship with someone is fine.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | RevTjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:28 am »
I actually tend to call Bast "Mama Bast", especially when I'm going to Her for something. Even though I know that She isn't really a cat, being a cat person (well, an animal person in general, but I do wuv me some widdle kittybitties), the theophany is one that resonates with me and that I'm comfortable with, and particularly considering that a lot of the time I'm asking Her to watch over my furbabies in some fashion, I always think of her as kind of the Big Mama of ALL the babies. So it's not so much that I'm doing it as Her being MY mom, as when there's an older person you're close to, and you sort of "adopt" the like an aunt or an uncle or a second mother? Like that. There've been a couple of times I've caught myself referring to Sekhmet the same way - I've never really gone to Her for much, but when I hear about something that makes me think of Her in big rawry protector mode for someone? Totally Mama Sekhmet. Nobody's objected yet, that I can tell.

(And Yinepu is always "Daddy" to me, not me, not "Dad", unless I'm talking about Him to other people, or I'm addressing Him formally for reasons of a very formal supplication - but most of the time He's just my Daddy, because He makes me feel warm and safe.)
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
Em Hotep Tashepsut,

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't have much of a relationship with my Mother in the beginning either. I had more interaction with my Beloveds than I did with my Mother in the beginning of my relationship with them, only because my Beloveds are aspects of my personality and my life experiences. Those were easy to understand, while my Mother was a little too vast and complex for me to understand and connect with in that moment.

But just like every relationship, you have to spend time getting to know one another. For some people, its an automatic thing, for others, it takes a long while. Neither is wrong, they're just different.

I've also heard of people asking the Names they do feel comfortable with to help them get to know the Names they don't understand. You can also talk to other children of your parent as well, in order to get to know your parent better if that's what you wish.

Don't feel guilty though, ok? Eating your heart won't help at all. You're just in a different place right now than others. :)

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tashepsut

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »
Thank you for sharing everyone. I do feel more at ease now and I'll stop trying to correct myself. My own family is very possessive of parental titles and I am so use to it that I automatically thought the Netjer might feel the same. But you're right Arienihethert, I don't think the Names would share that jealousy at all.
Tashepsutbast "The Nobility of Bast"
Bast, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Taweret, and Ra

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:09 am »
I work only with Bast and Djehuty. I refer to them as Lady Bast and Lord Djehuty. But I have parental relationships with them, with Djehuty being my father and Bast being my mother. I have this kind of relationship with them. I didn't pass the RPD, since I'm fine being a Remetj and focusing on all gods, not only the ones who are supposed to be my parents.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 08:36:45 am »
You know, many people think that the rpd line up is this "you can only love these gods and no other." Which is not really true. The shemsu put these gods first but never really stop loving or interacting with more.  You can also be a divined remetj. Divined with an rpd but choose not to become Shemsu or accept the line up. That is a choice.

Also, speaking for myself, I love to work with gods both in and outside my line up! I have good relationships with khnum-ra and set, and building a relationship with heru-wer.
Outside of rpd, Set acts kind of like my real dad. It's funny how similar they are. So I get a mild sense of fatherly attitude from him.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 My Carrd

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:46 am »
I work only with Bast and Djehuty. I refer to them as Lady Bast and Lord Djehuty. But I have parental relationships with them, with Djehuty being my father and Bast being my mother. I have this kind of relationship with them. I didn't pass the RPD, since I'm fine being a Remetj and focusing on all gods, not only the ones who are supposed to be my parents.

Em Hotep Gleb,

A slight correction needs to be made here. When you say "You didn't pass the RPD", that's a bit of a misnomer.

There is no "pass" or "fail" with the RPD. It is all a matter of choice. You can take the RPD, or not. You can take the RPD, and not accept the results. You can take the RPD and accept the results, but opt not to become Shemsu. Or, you can take the RPD, accept the results and become Shemsu.

In all those situations, those decisions are left to the individual receiving the RPD. Some do it right after the Beginner's Class, while some may wait years. Both are acceptable.

It seems like you already have a developed relationship with Bast and Djehuti, which is also ok. :) Even if you had taken the RPD and accepted the results, nothing would change that established relationship with those Gods.

Remetj and Divined Remetj are just as important as those who are Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh, W'abu and more.

Senebty!

Edited to add: There's also a potential for being told "Not right now" in the RPD as well, where a person would be told that now is not the right time for them. Again, this isn't a situation where it is "pass" or "fail". It just means that a person will have to wait a bit more is all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:55:06 pm by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:58 pm »
I haven't been Divined yet, but it's something I do too. Namely, in the sense of "Father of Fathers, Mother of Mothers," as that applies to any and all Gods with explicit Creative and "Universal" roles. But I also say "Father" or "Mother" as a title of respect and one which reflects my subordination to Them when praying to Them. Some deities I feel drawn to on a deep level above and before others, and so I will say "Father" with a bit more emphatic "love" than for others (the sort of "love" that is referred to by the term "agápē" in Theology, mind), but it always has the same formal and reverent meaning.

It's nothing like calling my biological father "father" or "dad," and I don't call any person other than my biological father "father / dad." For me, there's no weirdness or disrespect in calling any and all Gods "Father/Mother," as there would be with trying to do the same with human beings.
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302193
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal