collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Why did you choose to worship at all?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline AnomanderRake

Why did you choose to worship at all?
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:42:15 am »
Why did you choose to worship Gods as opposed to becoming a magician or athiest or something? What does it fulfill to you?
Do you treat it like a business partership or like friends (or what?)

I'm trying to do some introspection into why I want to join the Kemetic Orthodox  as opposed to just practicing magic and maybe seeing others responses'll help me out. 
Anything you feel you could add would be appreciated.
Thanks

if you are unable to prove your religious beliefs, then your beliefs require faith, and if you then deny the validity of other faith-based religions, then you ought to deny your own as well.
LORD!

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Why did you choose to worship at all?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:57:35 am »
Em hotep!

Excellent question! 
There is just as much spiritual wonder in Kemetic Orthodoxy as any other tradition.  You'll get out of it what you put in.
Most members seem to be KO first, but practice with local covens or groups for more ceremonial magic.  There is no requirement for you to abstain from these traditions, as long as the tradition does not put your morality into question.
I personally choose to worship Netjer, because Netjer chose me from a very young age.
I was raised by a Spiritualist Christian mother, so magic, divination, clairvoyance, remote viewing, and so on, were common practice in my home.
I am also an Atheist sympathizer.   I understand how difficult it is for a person to believe something on faith alone.  I always tell people that if I didn't have the spiritual abilities that I grew up working with, I would be an Atheist.  I, however, while occasionally questioning the validity of things, cannot be an Atheist due to what I have seen and experienced.
I hope that makes sense!
Senebty
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:25:01 am »
Em Hotep!

This is a great question, Anomander!

The path of the magician "who doesn't do worship" perhaps stems from the artificial division of religion and magic.  This division is not present in the Kemetic path, as it came from the monotheistic religions which began in the Roman period and afterwards.

To not do worship seems a half-path to me.  As I worship the gods, so then my soul is fed as well.  Without this circular process, I am "out of the loop".  A soul that is not fed is a soul that doesn't have the "ka-strength" to do heka (aka "magic").  At least, that's the way it feels to me.  I do not "come into being" (or as many magicians spell it "Xeper") on my own merits alone.  I have "come into being" via the mercies of the gods, via the mercies of my Akhu, via the mercies of my many Sebau (my teachers), as well as what I do via my own Will.  Understanding this gives a sense of wholeness.

I don't "deny the validity of other faith-based religions".  The hidden ground of Divinity, (who I understand to be Amun) has many manifestations, as needed for each individual.  And I would say it's not so much a matter of "faith", but "experience".  My brief time of atheism ended one night when I was looking up at the stars.  A great sense of awe came over me as I knew a Great Power had gone into their formation.  In that moment, I _felt_ that power. 

Blessings to you as you sort out "the mysteries"!

Senebty,
Neheh...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:02:45 am by Senuwierneheh »
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:53 am »
I for one had a very personal, very undeniable revelation as to the nature of my Divine parentage back in 2002, long before I had ever even heard of Kemet. As such, faith is something that has been inside of me more than a desire to practice magic. As I get older, I start to realize that life can do much without my intervention and therefore feel cmpelled to act my desire on the world much less frequently.  But faith and magics are complementary, and needn't be separate unless you want them to be. But I do disagree that all power comes from without. A defined sense of self power is a good thing, imo.
Sat Bast meryt Amun, Wepwawet-Yinepu her Set
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
Bast causes Herself to be revealed to me
(6/27/18)

Offline Asetemsatweret

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »
Em hotep!

This is a great question, and I find your phrasing to be interesting.  Does one really choose to worship?  Does one choose to eat or drink or breathe?  I would suggest that both the former and the latter are things that we absolutely need to survive.  For me, my worship is an extension of myself, through some divine umbilical cord, to the wider creation around me.  I don't think it's different for atheist or magicians either.  They just connect in a way that is different, through the mind and through the will.  For me, I connect through my spirit, and that is the most fulfilling way to commune with existence for me personally.

I do come from a background in Ceremonial Magick, and I will say that in the end, the way I communed with the Netjeru was different than the way others might use god-forms.  I was praying to them for intercession because I loved them, because, for me, they were the road/path to understanding.  I guess that I was always much more of a mystic than a magician. 

As for atheism, I always question because that is a part of my nature, but I've experienced too much intercession in my life not to believe in them personally.  Also, even if they didn't exist, I would still worship and love them because of their stories and who they are, the very idea of them.  Human hearts were made, metaphorically of course, to love ideas.  I hope this helps.

Senebty,
Michael
-Emsa

"Aset [is] on the Great Throne"
Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Amun, HetHert-Sekhmet, her Seshat-Nit-NebtHet

Offline AnomanderRake

Why did you choose to worship at all?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 01:01:43 am »
(That last paragraph is actually my signature that I can't find a good way to separate but I like how you all responded to it, so keep it up :P)

My wording Is because I think there's a difference between acknowledgeing that the Netjeru exist and do what they do, and actively worshiping them. Even offerings of food, drink or whatever I think is different than worship.

I'm having troubles understanding what any of you mean (partially because I can barley understand the frame of mind I was in making the question) :D

I'm actually having problems understanding a lot if things, probably because my life is pretty stagnant right now. I barley know why I want to do anything anymore. Maybe a more clarified question is this:
What hole does religion in general fill? If any?  why do you feel the desire to acknowledge and actively praise a being perceived higher than yourself.
Why praise them? What need do they have of praise?

I don't think I can feel a hole that needs filling and I don't really know why I want to be involved with the Netjeru in any way (which I do), which is why I'm confusing myself and should really stop.

if you are unable to prove your religious beliefs, then your beliefs require faith, and if you then deny the validity of other faith-based religions, then you ought to deny your own as well.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:03:56 am by AnomanderRake »
LORD!

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:43 am »
Em Hotep Anomander Rake,

Your question about what this religion will fill for you is, unfortunately, one we can't answer. That's a question you have to figure out for yourself, and that's an integral part of the process of faith I think.

Some do it for the stability, some do it for the self-knowledge that it brings, some do it for the sense of belonging, some do it because it gives a sense of purpose, and some do it for the direction that it gives.

Faith also changes depending where you are in your life with it, and even where you are in the faith. Some are content to worship Netjer when they can and in an informal setting, while others are very formal and worship Netjer in a very present way.

Will it fill that hole you speak of? It may, or it may not. We can't tell you that unfortunately, because we're not you.

I see though that your questions are based of Western mode of thinking when it comes to religion and faith, which is not bad. Its the culture you grew up with and is ever present in society. The mode that is part of this thinking is "What does religion/faith give me?"

Instead, try and think about faith and religion from another perspective, such as "What do -I- bring to Religion/ Faith?"
What are your qualities? Your thoughts? Even your feelings on Netjer as a whole, or even specific Names of Netjer? That is the start of what one would bring to a Religion or Faith, and it can be developed further, or not. That choice is up to you.

As for you feeling stagnant, ask yourself why you are stagnant. Is it because of the fear or change? Is it that you're not sure what needs to change? Is it because you've gotten comfortable within a routine? Stagnation happens, but figuring out why can be the start of moving out of it.

I'm sorry I can't be more help than this.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:47:54 pm by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:31 pm »

Em Hotep Anomander Rake,

Your question about what this religion will fill for you is, unfortunately, one we can't answer. That's a question you have to figure out for yourself, and that's an integral part of the process of faith I think.

Some do it for the stability, some do it for the self-knowledge that it brings, some do it for the sense of belonging, some do it because it gives a sense of purpose, and some do it for the direction that it gives.

Faith also changes depending where you are in your life with it, and even where you are in the faith. Some are content to worship Netjer when they can and in an informal setting, while others are very formal and worship Netjer in a very present way.

Will it fill that hole you speak of? It may, or it may not. We can't tell you that unfortunately, because we're not you.

I see though that your questions are based of Western mode of thinking when it comes to religion and faith, which is not bad. Its the culture you grew up with and is ever present in society. The mode that is part of this thinking is "What does religion/faith give me?"

Instead, try and think about faith and religion from another perspective, such as "What do -I- bring to Religion/ Faith?"
What are your qualities? Your thoughts? Even your feelings on Netjer as a whole, or even specific Names of Netjer? That is the start of what one would bring to a Religion or Faith, and it can be developed further, or not. That choice is up to you.

As for you feeling stagnant, ask yourself why you are stagnant. Is it because of the fear or change? Is it that you're not sure what needs to change? Is it because you've gotten comfortable within a routine? Stagnation happens, but figuring out why can be the start of moving out of it.

I'm sorry I can't be more help than this.

Senebty!

That was VERY helpful, thank you. I'll definitely be pondering everything for a long time :)

LORD!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal