collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Icons of Min  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Baniheru

• Shemsu
Icons of Min
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »
Now, I know where you all know I'm going with this...

Normally I have no trouble finding or deciding on icons for the gods I work with, but I have been struggling with Min.
I know it's pretty Western to be so "prude" when it comes to nudity, but my shrine is definitely visible by friends and family members who walk into my room. So I... cannot have Min sitting there in full view.

Did he take on any other forms, animal or otherwise? I know one of his animals is a bull, so perhaps could I have an icon of him as such?

Thanks everyone!
Sat Heru-wer
Meryt Min, Set, Aset-Serqet

Baniheru- "The power (ba) that belongs to Heru."

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
Icons of Min
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »
Em hotep!

This is coming from a translation of the LAGG that Naisenu and Rev. Tanebet worked hard on.  I hope it helps.

"Lion Form:
a) Ithyphallic lion-headed god with the double-feather crown with the solar disk on his head; with his arm raised above a floating flail [46]

Bull Form:
a) Standing bull-headed god with knives in his hands [63]

Falcon Form:
a) Falcon-headed god [54-55, 61] with a reliquary in his arms [61] b) Falcon-headed god with the double-crown [50-53, 58]"
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Icons of Min
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
Hotep
During New Kingdom times he was sometimes shown as a white bull, an animal sacred to the fertility god.

Min, Bull of the Great Phallus,
You are the Great Male, the owner of all females.
The Bull who is unites with those of the sweet love, of beautiful face and of painted eyes,
Victorious sovereign among the Gods who inspires fear in the Ennead.
The goddesses are glad, seeing your perfection.

-- Hymn to Min

Read more: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/min.htm#ixzz48IZUuzlG

Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline IbuPtah

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:42:40 pm »
Em hotep,

I would also second the Min/white bull connection, since all of the scenes of the Festival of Min from the temple of Medinet Habu show the importance of the white bull in the cult of Min.

That being said, Min also has a very close relationship with Amun, as Kamutef (which means "bull of his mother") and since Amun, whose very name means "hidden" usually prefers His images to be hidden from view, I would say that any of the "traditional" images of Min can also be covered with a cloth and kept hidden from the sight of  those who may not understand.

Senebty,
Ibu
Sa Ptah-Sokar
Mery Amun-Ra, Sekhmet-Hetheret, her Nebethet-Nit-Seshat
Fedw Diviner for PtahSokar

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:15:05 pm »
I definitely agree with what was said above.

My Beloved Amun-Min actually would prefer His icons to be hidden in a naos, but I need to find another that will fit his icons.

A cloth over the icon can suffice for this purpose, as well. It just has to be long enough to cover the icon and not be see through. It may be a happy medium between an icon that feels right for you and your Gods and still have no issues with friends/family.

Senebty! •henu•
~TabauAmunet
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline ubenet

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:00 am »
wait, are we talking two-dimensional or three-dimensional icons? because i feel like a cloth over a three-dimensional one would require some sort of frame to avoid being... ah, unsubtle, if you catch my meaning.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:27:39 am »
wait, are we talking two-dimensional or three-dimensional icons? because i feel like a cloth over a three-dimensional one would require some sort of frame to avoid being... ah, unsubtle, if you catch my meaning.

Ha!  Agreed.  I was kinda sitting here going, "I think that might be worse . . ."
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Baniheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36:31 am »

Heheh, that would be.. way worse.. I'm talkin three dimensional

Thanks everyone for your responses by the way! I'm thinking about it still. I think as long as it isn't ithyphallic, y'know...
Sat Heru-wer
Meryt Min, Set, Aset-Serqet

Baniheru- "The power (ba) that belongs to Heru."

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:54 pm »

Heheh, that would be.. way worse.. I'm talkin three dimensional

Thanks everyone for your responses by the way! I'm thinking about it still. I think as long as it isn't ithyphallic, y'know...
I'm not sure how Min he would be if he's not ithyphallic? Since it's one of his most recognized and oldest attributes?

However, my family isn't prudish so I can't say I entirely understand the concern; we have a lot of people in the medical profession so a phallus is a phallus. (Not that we run around naked, but as long as something is tasteful nudity.)

Random thought: I wonder if the door guardian netjeri statue that often gets called Sekhmet could be used. Since it combines the knife-wielding and lion-headed aspects.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Ameni

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »

Random thought: I wonder if the door guardian netjeri statue that often gets called Sekhmet could be used. Since it combines the knife-wielding and lion-headed aspects.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

On the Sekhmet confusion, I didn't know that was a thing as far as Netjeri are concerned.  I only knew of Ma'ahes being confused all too often with Medes-Tep.  Learn something new every day, huh?
Ameni-itui "Hidden in my Two Fathers"

Sa Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet
Mery Heruakhety her Heru-wer

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:29:57 pm »
Min does also have agricultural ties that you could utilize for symbology for Him that is less ithyphallic. I've used plants and things of the like on my shrine before. Anymore I just keep my shrine in a room that is off limits, so no big deal for me anymore.

Senebty! •henu•
~TabauAmunet
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:03 am »
This is hardly a UPG, but I've developed a but of a rapport with Amun-Min. I've gotten the suggestion that anything stiff and upright would qualify as 'suitable' though not ideal. The image that comes to mind is a stone feather (often used as a table centerpiece). It's stiff and upright like Min, and has Amun's father imagery. Again, though perhaps not ideal, that might be suitable.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:53 am »
I have two wooden phalli I presented to Amun-Re for a saq-day last month (even though saqu aren't something one can do solitarily, it is an "appearance day" of the God(s) in question and I felt like doing something for Amun and Min then anyway). One represents Amun(-Min) in His name of Kematef, Who Has Completed His Moment, and the other represents Him in His name of Kamutef, Bull of His Mother. I would looooove a proper Min statue at some point, but the phalli work very well in place of one.

You could go really aniconic with it, and have a green and white pillar instead of out-and-out phallic images. Or you could make a little lactuca lettuce item to stand in for Him. Min's lettuce is a VERY powerful symbol, comparable to the bound plants of Upper and Lower Egypt, and the dual Sekhemti crown. It embodies many of Min's salient attributes, from the royal to the sexual. :)
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:07:15 pm by Naisenu »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3507
  • stats Total Posts: 304435
  • stats Total Topics: 21169
  • stats Total Categories: 9