Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 74
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Getting Closer to Your Akhu  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
Getting Closer to Your Akhu
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »
Em hotep all,

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to get closer to one's Akhu?

I'm not particularly close to my living relatives so getting closer to those that have passed seems almost impossible.

Senebty,
Leaha
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
Re: Getting Closer to Your Akhu
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:41:20 pm »
You know, I just realized a little more information might be helpful. First of all, I don't know half of my family to begin with. Of the half that I do know, most of them are buried across the country from me. So simple grave tending isn't really an option for me. I've thought about writing letters, maybe?
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

Offline Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:07:08 am »
Writing letters can be a wonderful experience. I, too, don't really have the option of grave tending. I do genealogical research though and that helps me feel connected. That, and just spending time with them at my akhu shrine.

Ibi (Awibemhethert)

Self Care Hethert Keeper
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:40 am »
You can also make a declaration aloud to any akhu listening that you want to get to know them better. Make a spot for them even if you only put a glass of water in it as an offering. It can also open the way for your other ancestors to come through, which may include finding more information about them.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:52:17 pm »
I don't have a akhu shrine, but it don't prevent me to contact with. I like to burning a candle and talk with them. It's working very well! And I offer a bit of water to them, too. It's almost what Zat explained.
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 04:03:26 pm »
I'm doing genealogical research to get closer to mine.  Familysearch.org is a good, free site offered by the Mormons.  it's not as robust as ancestry.com, but it's a good place to get a start.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Akhyt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 06:16:26 am »
I also do genealogical research of my family. I have understood that it is relatively easy in Finland, compared to many other countries, as the churches in Finland have a long tradition of keeping records of births, deaths, marriages and also people's places of residence, and such records are well preserved on a general level. A lot of such records have been digitized, and records older than 100 years have been made available on the internet by genealogy enthusiasts' organizations.
Akhytsenu, "Two Are Flying"
Sat Tefnut, Ra-Heruakhety & Hekatawy I
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Shu

Pronoun: they/them/their/themself

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:32:52 am »
I have a similar issue to you, Riley. My maternal grandfather's mother died when he was very young and she was never spoken about again. All I know is that her name was Catherine but other than that, I have no idea about her side of the family or the rest of my granddad's family. Family history isn't spoken about much in my family at all and I have no idea where they're buried.

Looking through census charters can be useful if you know a name and the town they lived in. They can be found online or in most libraries or town halls.

Another thing is that during Akhu Duas or when I'm privately honouring the Akhu, I'll list the ones I do know and then round it off with "all my Akhu, known and unknown". So I'm still addressing the Akhu who I don't know about by name, but know that they're still part of my family.

Letters can also be a great way to get to know your Akhu. I've written some to various Akhu and the House of Netjer even has it's own Virtual Abdju where you can write a letter to an Akhu and then post it online. You can visit it here.
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset
Reiki I student & professionally accredited crystal healer

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:50:45 pm »
Em hotep!

Genealogical research really helped me get connected, and it had the benefit of bringing me closer to my living family as well.

It can also help to pour cool water and offer it to all your akhu, known and unknown. Some unknown ancestors might make themselves known after this.

I think part of the struggle is that many of us come to Kemetic Orthodoxy relatively young, and we there aren't many people we knew in life who have passed. If that's the case, offer cool water to those who you didn't know in life, and be open minded. Even if there isn't anyone in recent history, somewhere in our lineage there is undoubtedly an individual who will take an interest.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285882
  • stats Total Topics: 19379
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110