collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Does anyone use tarot cards?  (Read 8108 times)

Offline AnomanderRake

Does anyone use tarot cards?
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:17 am »
I don't have the money for tarot cards (though I would love to own a deck) so I've tried using dice for divination/ introspection.
Does anyone have some tips that would apply to divination in general? I've just been getting meaningless, random, contradictory results, at least trying a true/false roll :P
If it worked you'd think you could get the right answer when asking "is my water bottle green" but alas, it's not so :D (wanted to try it to see if I really was getting the right answers)

I'm just wondering if I'm looking at this all wrong or something and how you guys do it. I'm a total newb, I know.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LORD!

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Does anyone use tarot cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:11:53 am »
Here are a couple of tips:

1.  Runes: Since you have access to the internet, making a set is as simple as getting pebbles and using a marker on them.
2. A simple pendulum can be helpful at times, but I use mine mostly for party tricks.
3. Fedw: many of us have been trained by Hemet(AUS) to throw for our gods.  If you have a question, you can always ask one of us.  We do it free or for donations to the house, should you decide to support the temple.

I'll add more if I think of something and hope this helps.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:39:20 am »
I don't have the money for tarot cards (though I would love to own a deck)...

Em hotep!

You can always make your own and/or use a deck of cards. My initial deck that I owned I was terrible with, my second one I made with que cards, my third (and the one I still use today) was bought as a birthday gift. The one I made for myself was as accurate as the one that was gifted to me.

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:57 am »
Em hotep!

I don't have money for Tarot cards either.

So I don't have Tarot cards, I have Tarot sticks.  Go to the dollar or craft store and buy 100 popsicle sticks for a buck.   

Inscribe them with the different Tarot names.  My method is one side is the upright side and the other is the reverse.  After you finish, bless and consecrate them.  I also put some keywords as to what each side may mean so I can do quick divinations without having to consult books....but in my reading for others, I usually delve deeper into what each one means and offer possible explanations. 

I have gotten scary accurate readings.  I have a very skeptical friend I often read for and she says my readings could inspire belief in "something" for the most skeptical person.   

But as for your results, you could try calling on a God to help you.  I don't really shuffle my tarot deck and then draw random sticks.  I do my divinations as a devotional activity to a God from another pantheon and I ask Him to help me select the "correct" sticks for each person I do a reading for.  He helps tremendously with that.  So maybe try that and see if it works out for you.

Senebty

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Ushedimuti

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:37 am »
I use Tarot, and have for years, but because it's been on-off I consider myself a beginner. Or intermediate, depending on my confidence.

As others have pointed out, Tarot is just one system of divination; there are so many others! Even just a pack of playing cards, assigned meanings by you, can be used. Or dice, like your original post said. I was considering trying a set of DnD dice myself, I thought that would be interesting. I also use a pendulum, although I'm still learning that, and that can be homemade. And I love praisingnetjer's Tarot stick idea, it's pretty brilliant.

Youtube is a great resource; I can dig up some links of a few videos I liked. I also use the Tumblr and Reddit communities, though you must be careful with that simply because its unfiltered at times. And there are a few websites, like Biddy Tarot, I use heavily myself, and Aeclectic Tarot is hugely popular as well. And check out a library for some Tarot titles too, can't forget that.

You can use online Tarot decks to study them; whether these digital decks work is really up to the user. Some people swear by them, others completely disregard them. They would be useful for studying the cards, however. The decks I work with are Rider-Waite or Rider-Waite based, one of the most popular types, and heavy on symbolism and metaphor, especially Christian-based. But there are many, many decks out there, and choosing one that feels right to you is the best. Aeclectic Tarot is also good for that, it has examples and reviews of hundreds of decks.

Now, as for obtaining decks. Despite the myth, you can and should buy your own deck. And it is perfectly okay to buy used decks as well! It doesn't need to be a forty dollar brand-new deck (unless you really want it to be, I guess). Digging around can yield occult-exchanges, so if you have anything else lying around, like books, that you don't use, you can try and exchange for a used or sometimes never used deck. Or just saving up to outright buy a used one after a few months, and practicing until then.

Lastly, either before you buy or after, I highly recommend a Tarot journal. Jot down meanings the cards have to you, even combinations of cards have together. Check out spreads you would like to do, or questions you want to try. Learn how to ask divination questions, and what questions are easier or harder to ask. Yes or no questions can be done, but not everyone likes to do them or feel comfortable with them. Discuss the ethics of divination with yourself, too. What kinds of questions are appropriate to answer? And of course, when you start doing divination, write down your spreads and what you interpret their meanings to be. I have spreads I did years ago that felt unclear to me at the time but I looked back and saw how accurate it became. It's good lessons to teach oneself.

I'm sorry if this was a bit incoherent, I just woke up -- no coffee yet!
Ushedimuti | "My Mothers address me."
{ Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Mafdet, her (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|, meryt Set her Sobek!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter / Advocate | Self-Care Set Keeper | Fedw Diviner }
daughter-of-the-red-land.tumblr.com

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:47 am »
I do some Tarot readings but not too skilled. I was hoping to do some self study this year but so far I have not been able to pull myself together enough to start.
For other systems, you can make runes out of small flat objects (wood discs, sea glass, etc.) or even write them on card stock and shuffle. If you can get a hold of it, Diana Paxson's Taking Up the Runes is probably the most comprehensive book on the runes, and also gives a lot of insight into Norse/Germanic cultures before conversion. I read runes and while I don't think you have to follow the Gods of the area to use them, you do need an understanding of the culture to get a fuller understanding.

For other systems, like dice, they have been used for divination in the past, as have regular playing cards. You can find instructions online for all those systems. You can also creative your own collection of items to use for divination and there is a good set of instructions on doing so here[/ur].
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:30 am »
Thanks guys! You're all awesome. I've considered creating a deck of dragons (basically tarot cards from fantasy books) but figured it was too much work when I didn't even know if it'd work, though I never thought of Popsicle sticks before. Great suggestion. :D

So when you use whatever method you use what do you do before hand, if anything? I saw mention of blessing and consecrating, how do you do that and is it essential?

Is there anything special you guys do to make it functional as opposed to, for example, an ordinary set of dice or cards.

Thanks

LORD!

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »
Em hotep, AnomanderRake!

I actually created a system of divination using four 6-sided dice based on the Kemetic words for each number and puns, as well as some scrying. It was exhausting to use but I'm told it was accurate. When I was working on it, the first thing I did was to try and divine the past. I would ask people to ask me questions about something that happened in their past, and then I would interpret the reading to them and ask them how accurately the divination matched their situation. When the majority of people felt it was highly accurate, I started taking questions about the present and future. I think that would work for learning Tarot as well.

As for consecrating items - censing the object with incense and sprinkling with natron water or salt water is pretty common. I usually also offer a prayer to my Parents to bless the object in its intended purpose, if it's a divinatory tool or other object (if it's just an offering bowl, I don't see the need).

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:21:43 pm »

So when you use whatever method you use what do you do before hand, if anything? I saw mention of blessing and consecrating, how do you do that and is it essential?

If you use my popsicle method, I prefer using a sharpie because a pen, in my experience, doesn't stain the wood until you've essentially scratched it in.  But be careful because sharpie ink runs across the wood like no tomorrow. 

Like Sobeq suggested, consecration can include sprinkling natron or natron water over them or censing them with incense. 

In my personal practice, I utilize heka, alongside more solid magical practices, to empower and consecrate them.  I also have a special sort of water I collected that has unique properties which I sprinkle over them.

Hope this helps. 
Senebty
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »
What if I don't have access to incense or natron? Then what?

LORD!

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »
What if I don't have access to incense or natron? Then what?

Use heka and/or do what Sobeq suggested and call upon one of the Names to empower and bless the object for you. 

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »
Salt water can also stand in for natron too, if you're in a real bind. :)
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 01:01:28 pm »
How do I use heka? (I'm a total noob)
I'll have to try salt water then :D thanks

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:06:44 pm by AnomanderRake »
LORD!

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »

Sorry, forgot you're not a Remetj yet!

You can employ heka very simply without getting so complex.  Just speak clearly and loudly, like you're forcing the effect to come about, and "command" certain things to come about.  Command that your readings be accurate, that you connect with the mind of God and be able to divine the right sticks/cards to choose.  A command is the ultimate force of will and in some magical schools of thought, your will is the most important aspect of making magical work come about. 

But....heka isn't quite "magic".  You'll get more into it as you progress through the Beginner's class.  Tehuti might be an appropriate deity to call upon if you were to call on a God.  It is thought His books were the basis for the Tarot cards as a form of divination ( if I'm not mistaken).  He knows secret things and is very knowledgeable by nature but any deity you like would work. 

Hope this helps   

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline AnomanderRake

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »

Sorry, forgot you're not a Remetj yet!

You can employ heka very simply without getting so complex.  Just speak clearly and loudly, like you're forcing the effect to come about, and "command" certain things to come about.  Command that your readings be accurate, that you connect with the mind of God and be able to divine the right sticks/cards to choose.  A command is the ultimate force of will and in some magical schools of thought, your will is the most important aspect of making magical work come about. 

But....heka isn't quite "magic".  You'll get more into it as you progress through the Beginner's class.  Tehuti might be an appropriate deity to call upon if you were to call on a God.  It is thought His books were the basis for the Tarot cards as a form of divination ( if I'm not mistaken).  He knows secret things and is very knowledgeable by nature but any deity you like would work. 

Hope this helps

Awesome, thanks so much!
Thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it :D

LORD!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955