Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Wepwawet!  (Read 14082 times)

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Wepwawet!
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:20 am »
Em hotep, all!

Today, some of us are going to be having lunch and chatting about Wepwawet. I wanted to extend the conversation to our online forums as well. What do you think of Him? Have you tried to get to know Him, or is He just not in your life?

For myself, I find I'm more interested in His connections to the Kingship and nobility. He has a pretty broad reputation these days, but that's the area I find people talking about the least and so I've been trying to engage with Him in that domain more.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Re: Wepwawet!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »
Em Hotep Sobeq!

Strange that this topic is coming up...

I had actually asked Wepwawet to Open the Way for me in regards to a few things at my job.I will officially be working in the Operating Room now because of it. I need to set aside some rum for Him as I did specifically ask for some help in regards to my job situation, and He came through in spades for me.

In a nut-shell; for me, I see Him as Opener of Ways, for sure. Not so much the royal aspect (Which I get more from Yinepu), but as someone who is able to shift and shunt the necessary energies to move things in a direction that you need to go for the learning.

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »
I only really interact with Wepwawet-Yinepu, and I really see Him in the aspect of guiding me toward becoming more comfortable with death. I struggle, a lot, with the idea of death and I just find that He is a comfort and a reminder that death doesn't have to be just sorrow or an ending. Ultimately, I do want to get to know Him more but I really feel like the jackal just isn't correct for Him. I keep feeling like the icon with the super long legs is more correct, and I get this distinct sense that I really need one for Him.
Sat Bast meryt Amun, Wepwawet-Yinepu her Set
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
Bast causes Herself to be revealed to me
(6/27/18)

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 04:02:52 pm »
We ended up having some good discussion yesterday over lunch! I discovered that I need to make some effort to reconnect with my Dad now that things in my life are showing improvement. My friend Siduri, who's not KO but has a long-standing relationship with Sekhmet, has never been familiar with the Jackals and she said she learned a lot even from our relatively small conversation.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:42 am »
Dua Wepwawet! I just had the best evening last night with Him and for Him. He basically told me to stop worrying about getting every little detail correct, but to instead worry about the thought and feeling behind it. I am still going to be getting a new icon eventually, but in the meantime I am going to print out a piece of art work to put on my wall. I also discovered He is a fan of Guinness, lol. I seem to be interacting with Him more in His original form as Scout and Opener of the Way than His form as syncretic with Yinepu. He feels very masculine to me, and very solar.
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
(6/27/18)

Offline Sobeqsenu

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:39:18 pm »
Em hotep!

Yes, I've definitely found Him to be fond of Guinness! He is also associated with Ra and the sun -- Wepwawet-Ra is a syncretic form of Wepwawet associated with the sun. He tends not to be very concerned with getting things 100% correct in my experience, too. He's much more interested in you doing something, rather than worrying about the details. He's a big picture kind of Guy. ;)

As for Wepwawet-Yinepu -- that's an aspect, not a syncretism. In Kemetic Orthodoxy we see Wepwawet and Yinepu as so connected that they are a part of one another, and we express that relationship with aspecting (just like Hethert-Sekhmet or Serqet-Aset, or Wesir-Sokar (I think).) As far as I know, the syncretic deities are the x-Muts, Amun-Ra, Sobek-Ra, Amun-Min... those kinds of Gods. So connecting with Him as plain ol' Wepwawet is good too. :)
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Sobeqsenu

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 01:01:26 pm »
Double posting because I remembered something else I wanted to say!

At our lunch I brought up a thought I've been having recently, and I debated for a while whether I wanted to share it here.

I think we might make too much of Wepwawet's role as Opener of the Ways.

That's not to say that He doesn't do that -- it's in His name, of course -- but I feel like we miss the fact that we have more evidence for Wepwawet as guardian of the King and as a psychopomp than we do as He Who Makes Stuff Happen. It makes sense to extend His role to a more general setting but I wonder if we are watering Him down. Any thoughts?

Senebty,
Sobeq
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:24:46 pm »
I dunno, I kind of see "Opener of the Way" as being at least part psychompomp myself. Yes, He makes stuff happen, but part of that is literally opening door ways and traveling. I also see Him definitely as a Scout, too.
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
(6/27/18)

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:44:57 am »
There is certainly much more to Wepwawet than gets acknowledged these days. But in a way that also makes sense, because even in ancient Egypt, different aspects would be stressed in different situations. As modern devotees, we're probably not all that different in theory from the people who left devotional stelae to him and saw him as a "personal god." Two of the most enlightening stelae to come out from the Salakhana Trove involve a man thanking him in one case (where he saved a man from a crocodile) and a chantress asking for his forgiveness for some unspecified transgression in the other. It's very personal and it doesn't even HAVE to be associated to him via the meaning of his name, even if it can be.

We do also have Wepwawet involved in high level royal mythology though, where he can swap with, be embodied by, or otherwise act as Re, Heru, Wesir, and the living pharaoh. At first glance this is going to be less relevant to most modern practitioners, even though it does compose a large percentage of who Wepwawet is and what he can do. If one views his role in these instances as him being an agent capable of overcoming adversity and moments of crisis (such as ascension) however, it does kind of come back around to his ability to act similarly for us too.

He's also a deity of royal legitimacy (being first-born son, etc) and rulership/dominion (Controller of the Two Lands.) I think one way a devotee could take these aspects on board is by viewing them as having steady footing, confidence, and owning yourself and your domain. That's a more down to earth way of looking at it, I think.

Wepwawet is also a judge! "Wep" doesn't just mean "to open" - it can also mean to judge, divide, inaugurate, discern, separate, distinguish, take. There's much more there than "Opener of the Way" suggests on its own. This is one of the reasons why I do sometimes get a little annoyed when people say things like, "Oh, be careful with what you ask for with Wepwawet!" - as though he'd actually drive somebody off a cliff if they mistakenly asked for it.

Another aspect little acknowledged is that he very commonly appears in a dual form - Wepwawet of Upper Egypt and Wepwawet of Lower Egypt. As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person to work with him in this format? Wepwawet of Upper Egypt is concerned more with the earth and every day concerns. He's the one to approach for more mundane help. Wepwawet of Lower Egypt, on the other hand, is said to open the paths of the sky and is the one I'd call on for help of a higher and more sacred nature. The two are slightly different, which I find pretty fascinating.

No matter how you look at him though, he's just an incredibly helpful and practical deity who inspires confidence. A friend of mine also once pointed out that standards are raised high to give protection and motivation. I thought that was a really beautiful, and entirely accurate, sentiment when it comes to Wepwawet.

I suspect I'm rambling on quite a lot at this point, so will leave it at that for now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:05:18 am by Bezenwepwy »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:40 pm »
I definitely see Him as the Opener of the Way but also, like Bezenwepwy touched upon, a Netjeru who I can go to about almost anything- particularly 'everyday' concerns or worries.

Wepwawet is the one I ask for help in regards to opportunities and footholds. With these kinds of things I get the most answers from Him. Take the other week, for example: it was the night of my music event and I stumbled into a guy who owns his own record company and who is looking for event managers to organise showcases of his talent etc. I ended up leaving with his card.

While this aspect may be more to Yinepu's side, I tend to ask Wepwawet for help in connecting more with my Akhu. I also ask Him for help when it comes to things that have gotten me particularly worried or stressed, and for help in reconnecting (whether that's the faith, hobbies, projects...).

He always feels pretty relaxed to me and I find Him really approachable. He's also much less formal than my Mother, that's for sure!
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset
Reiki I student & professionally accredited crystal healer

Offline Sobeqsenu

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 12:56:01 pm »
Em hotep!

I think it makes sense to see Wepwawet in connection with the akhu. Even if Yinepu is more commonly associated with the dead and embalming, Wepwawet is known to help guide the King to the Duat. As time went on His role became more general and so He became known as a psychopomp and guide of the dead.

He is definitely very personable! There's a reason, I think, that I'm more of a "daddy's girl"; He's much easier to relate to than Sekhmet-Mut, for sure. I just encourage everyone to acknowledge the full breadth of His nature as much as possible; it helps explain some of the "personality" shifts some people see in Him.

Senebty,
Sobeq
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 06:13:26 pm »
I see Wepwawet pretty much in connection with everything one can imagine, in a sense He is the connection and connector of everyone with everywhere.

And given He is the King of the Duat (and the Dead are always with us in our daily life, if there was a firm separating line, then daily veneration of ancestors would lose its meaning, for they'd be unreachable at some times; and they are not) it is safe to presume his (and other netjeru) continuous presences, whether we feel them, or not.

I also see Him in shifts of forms, on whichever level, which gets pretty huge, realizing. (Thinking of cellular shifts and everyday growth, macromolecular processes, chemical reactions, and the like, anyone?). So, transformation, growth, totally speeding that up wherever He wishes to.

In a way a healer, too, opener of the paths of healing to come through. And from unexpected sources. (More links Wepwawet-Ra talking, here.)
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Udjariyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:56 pm »
Vaalea put it better than I ever could with "I see Wepwawet pretty much in connection with everything one can imagine, in a sense He is the connection and connector of everyone with everywhere."

To me I see him as the Opener of the Way because he IS the way to me...if that makes any sense haha. Also like Daughter put, more recently I am connecting with the psychompomp aspect of Opening the Way, more and more. Overall though I find him a joy to have around, and am intrigued to work with him more in different capacities then I have been.
My Tumblr and Wordpress
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Djehuty
Yinepu proceeds to(ward) me. Self care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »
Em hotep, all!

I hope you don't mind my hijacking the thread (slightly?) with a Wepwawet-Yinepu related question. Please pardon the anecdote: really, there's a question at the bottom, I promise. ;)

While I know no one else can interpret an experience for me, I've been curious lately about a guided mediation which was held in my Spiritual Formation class (here at seminary). We were led by a Jungian analyst who took us on a "shamanic journey" (as he said--I was grumpy about that...) to meet Death.

Well, nudging aside the Native in me grumpy at the misappropriation of shamanism, I enjoyed the experience (and found my classmates' reactions profound, since most are Lutheran and haven't done this sort of thing before). For me, "Death" appeared as--I thought--Yinepu. It was surprisingly moving, in so short a period of time: He told me that my mother (whom I've always worried over, since she lived and died violently) was among the Blessed Dead; I've also been struggling to "hear" my call to chaplaincy. His gentle-hearted response to my flailing ("What do I do? What do you want from me? Is this right? Am I wrong?") was, quite simply, "Serve in My House."

In this meditation, I called Him Yinepu and got no pushback. However, I've also read that Yinepu and Wepwawet have different personalities, and since my experiences with Yinepu are more on the somber, compassionate, "I'll take off your boots, weary traveler, and light a lamp for you at night" side of things... I got to wondering:

Could it be Wepwawet's "side of the coin" rather than Yinepu's?

I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to ask, but I always tend to second-guess whether what I'm hearing/feeling/etc. is me or Netjer. Unless it's obviously so unlike me that it couldn't be, haha.

Okay, so here's a better jab at the question: how might one know if they're interacting with Yinepu or Wepwawet?

Thanks heaps for listenin', and letting me jump in! :)

Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Sobeqsenu

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 02:30:00 pm »
It can be a tough call to make. Many people feel Yinepu is very child-like and sort of bouncy and fun to be around. I find Yinepu to be very serious - still child-like, but a precocious child with wisdom beyond his years. I've "known" Wepwawet for so long now that I've seen many different sides of His "personality", including the quite guide in the night.

Ultimately, you'll eventually figure out which deity you're dealing with. What you're describing rings true for Wepwawet, in my experience. But the best way to know for sure is to ask.

Senebty,
Sobeq
revdgallo@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286225
  • stats Total Topics: 19409
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110