Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of April 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending April 21, 2021 = $2,429.45 of $2,500 (97%) $70.55 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hello hello!  (Read 7587 times)

Offline FORMER MEMBER

Hello hello!
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »
Em hotep, everyone! It's a pleasure to meet y'all. Pardon the verbosity to follow (and my laziness: I copied/pasted this from the Beginners' Intro thread...  ::))

My name's Dylan, and I'm a 25-year-old seminary student. Contrary to the "y'all," I'm a Midwesterner of the U.S. by birth. I grew up in an eclectic household: my dad's an atheist and my mom, now among the blessed dead, practiced a bit of everything. From her I learned to listen to the Gods and not be afraid of Them: They're here to teach us, even if it's not always pleasant.

Despite the freedom and beauty in that eclecticism, I wandered away from neopaganism in my early twenties; my mom's death saw me seeking fellowship in an unorthodox Lutheran church; the former had a solid hand in my call to becoming a hospice chaplain. My family didn't really deal with Mom's death: I don't want anyone to feel as lost or frightened or alone as I did.

I was an English and Religious Studies double-major in undergrad; after a few years of working in a print shop and then a coffeeshop, I ended up moving away from Wisconsin, my home, to attend a Lutheran seminary in Illinois. Since coming here, however, the linchpin of mystery has been taken away from the Christian faith for me; it doesn't fill me--at least not in its "orthodox" expressions--and it's hard to be a seminarian or see yourself as a chaplain at all when you're flailing spiritually.

Cue the Netjeru.

Back when I was a young adult (I still am, I guess), I mostly honored Djehuty and Yinepu. Over the past few months They've been making Themselves known to me--and it's been almost seven years since I've talked to Them. It feels very much like a homecoming, and it was really through Them that I realized I needed to seriously buckle down and rethink my seminary education and my call. (Surprisingly to me, Set's also shown up lately; I've always felt a little hesitant with him, but I think I've got some very good lessons to learn.)

In part because of this--the Gods slipping back into focus, I mean--I'm finally looking into Kemetic Orthodoxy. I'm excited!

Otherwise, on less-serious notes, I'm a Trekkie and a huge SF nerd in general. I have a Saint Bernard named Myshkin--he's just a baby now! I think Dostoyevsky is my favorite author, and I'm a diehard Cheesehead. I've also published two novels in a SF trilogy and am whittling at the third! Whoohoo!

Other tidbits: I love to draw and/(but?) am legally blind.

Looking forward to learning some shtuff and getting to know you all more! :)

Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.

(Pronouns: she/her/hers).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:40:20 pm by DyllenniumFalcon »
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Rev. Tjesi

• W'ab (priest) - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
Re: Hello hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:53:46 pm »
Em hotep, Dylan, and welcome!

Ibi (Awibemhethert)

Self Care Hethert Keeper
Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert (Ibi)

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!

It is nice to see an open presence in chaplaincy, I know another pagan based person training as a chaplain. The hospice industry is tough but glad to see good people working towards it.
If you have any question just ask. Happy spring

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:46:51 pm by A'Aqytsekhmet »
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 My Carrd

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 01:58:47 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!
Dostoevsky is my favorite too!
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcomes! :) It's wonderful to know, too, that there are chaplains and Dostoyevsky fans around!

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
Welcome, Dylan!  Em Hotep!

It's nice to learn of your interest in being a hospice chaplain.  A serendipity, the local Unitarian Universalist service today featured a hospice chaplain.  She is Buddhist and had quite a twisty path to becoming one, as most programs are geared only to Christians.  That's a wonderful service, so very much needed.

Blessings to you!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »
Em hotep and welcome, Dylan!

I did my B.A. at a Lutheran college in Greenville, PA and married into a Lutheran family.  However, he is now Hellenic and enrolled in this upcoming KO beginner's course. 

Senebty,
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:27:42 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Tarudsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:04:01 am »
Em hotep and welcome!  :)
Tarudsenu: "Stairway to Two"
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-sa-Aset,
meryt Shu her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Facebook

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:52 am »
Em hotep and welcome, it's very nice to meet you!
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 10:39:49 am »
Em Hotep Dylan!

I was looking into the chaplain program at a local university here, and still am entertaining the idea once I complete my Master's degree. I have an Advanced Major undergraduate in Native Studies (Native American) and a minor in Religion, and to work as a chaplain in any setting here, you must have accreditation through a major university. I had thought to apply to the "Indigenous Focus" chaplain program, which turns its attention to both Christian and Traditional teachings in an Indigenous setting.

I may still do so in the future, but right now I have submitted my application for the Master's Program in Indigenous Studies for the September session.

Welcome, and I am looking forward to speaking with you more!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 02:13:43 pm »
Em hotep! Welcome to the boards, Dylan!  :D
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, Nebthet-Nit-Seshat, her Aset

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 06:27:44 pm »
Em Hotep!

Thanks again to everyone! I look forward to getting to know y'all a bit better!

Rev. Shauna--oh, I'm fascinated by your story. Being in a weird state of religious flux, I'm struggling with the fact that not only do I need an M.Div., but also official ordination from someone. ;) It can be really difficult to find good programs. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can/should stick with the Lutheran seminary I'm at or squiggle onwards and look elsewhere.

May I ask why the emphasis on Native studies and traditions? :) I'm Potawatomi on my mom's side, and if I stay at my current seminary, might gear my studies in that direction, too (it's actually a possible area of emphasized study--surprise surprise!)

Senebty and shalom!
Dylan.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
Em hotep, Dylan!

I wish you all the very best in your beginner coursework! Just remember your graphing calculator and the math section of the final won't be too bad. ;)

Senebty,
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »
Em Hotep!

Thanks again to everyone! I look forward to getting to know y'all a bit better!

Rev. Shauna--oh, I'm fascinated by your story. Being in a weird state of religious flux, I'm struggling with the fact that not only do I need an M.Div., but also official ordination from someone. ;) It can be really difficult to find good programs. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can/should stick with the Lutheran seminary I'm at or squiggle onwards and look elsewhere.

May I ask why the emphasis on Native studies and traditions? :) I'm Potawatomi on my mom's side, and if I stay at my current seminary, might gear my studies in that direction, too (it's actually a possible area of emphasized study--surprise surprise!)

Senebty and shalom!
Dylan.

Em Hotep Dylan!

The program geared towards Indigenous content is because Canada has a sizeable Indigenous population. When doing Pastoral Care work in areas like Hospitals or even in Corrections, that's where we tend to encounter many Indigenous peoples. The reason for the focus on both Christian (usually Roman Catholic and Anglican denominations) is because of how Christianity spread through Canada when it was first settled. Some Indigenous groups took to Christianity (like the Cree (Innu) and Inuit peoples), while others were very staunch in maintaining their traditional teachings (such as the Anishinaabe/ Ojibway).

Given the history of Church-run-but-government-poorly-funded Residential Schools (similar to the American Indian Boarding Schools), there are groups of Indigenous Nations that are trying to reclaim their Traditional Spiritual heritage, and many studies have been done in the areas of Corrections and Allied Health that show that Traditional teachings and Spiritualities have often been very helpful to Indigenous peoples in the system.

For example; an Indigenous inmate serving a sentence in jail for a criminal offence that is drug-related will often be given the opportunity to learn from a Traditional Elder. Via  components such as Sweat Lodges, learning of the Medicine Wheel, and being taught the Feather Teachings and Sweetgrass teachings, an inmate can see how his actions impact his community, as well as get the rehab help in order to break the cycle of addiction.

In the case of health care, it helps Indigenous people who live in remote Reserves (Reservations) be able to get the care that they deserve in a culturally respectful context. We have areas in most hospitals now where Indigenous peoples can smudge with any of the four sacred medicines, much like how practicing Catholics can take Communion in the chapel on Sundays, or Muslims have a room where they can perform their prayers as they would in a mosque.

At the heart, its being able to provide spiritually and culturally appropriate care to Indigenous peoples who need and want it.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!

Senebty!
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3410
  • stats Total Posts: 301688
  • stats Total Topics: 20790
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122