collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Random question  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Jacklyn

• Remetj
Random question
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:09:50 pm »
Em Hotep all, I'm somewhat new on the boards and I was reading and this thought came to mind and I don't know if it's been asked before but has anyone had connections to ancient pharaohs? I have a necklace that I was given when I was really young (like three or four) with Tutankhamun on it and I felt like he was protecting me, does anyone or did anyone ever feel like that? Just curious, hope y'all have a good day.
ฯSha'anemheruฯ
'Sprung forth from Heru'
Shanem <3

Self-care Khonsu Keeper

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
Re: Random question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:37 pm »
Em hotep, Jacklyn!

I'm...arguably not the best person to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot, with the understanding that all of this is my personal experiences and thoughts, and in no way official.

I guess I'd have to ask what you mean by "connections to ancient pharaohs." Do you mean as in official Parentage and such? If that is the case, to my (very limited) knowledge no prior Nisut has been divined in that capacity. Others with infinitely better knowledge can perhaps get into the specifics of why if they so choose.

If you mean just a connection in general, I find myself particularly interested in the Second Dynasty Nisut Peribsen (also known as Set-Peribsen in some places). I wouldn't necessarily call this a two-way connection, however. I just think the little that is known about him, alongside the potential of what is unknown, interests me keenly for perhaps obvious reasons. (Not too often you see a Set-exclusive Nisut in history.)

So, like I said, I am probably not the best to answer your question, but I wish you only the best in finding an answer. Perhaps some others will shed some more definitive light. :)

Senebty,
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Tashepsut

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:19 am »
The only connection I can attempt to make is with Hatshepsut. We share "shepsut" in our name but that's stretching it I think. I've always been drawn to Akhenaten on a purely artistic level. His statues and the change in art during his reign is probably my favorite "style" of Kemet. Otherwise I have never felt a draw towards any pharoph on a personal level, nor do I feel particularly protected or watched by them.
Tashepsutbast "The Nobility of Bast"
Bast, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Taweret, and Ra

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:31:58 am »
I've always felt a somewhat strong connection with Hatshepsut whenever I've read about her, thought about her, etc. But I've never really delved into it, to be honest.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:12:37 am »
I've always (since I read about him :) ), felt a connection to Seti I.  I like to imagine he was "grampa" in a past life, (and maybe with the hundred or so kids Rameses II had, it might even be possible.  Certainly the littlest and least significant of the lot, :) but still... )  I did a drawing with him and Hathor back in 2010, quite a bit before my RPD.  I put a print of the drawing at work then.  And only after the RPD, did I look up and see Hathor (Hethert) there. (She was quietly there before I 'knew', :) )

In any case, Seti I impresses me because I can sense the devotion and heka he put into his monuments, particularly Abydos.  Such beautiful images there!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:19:50 pm »
Interesting question! I wouldn't say I have a particularly close connection to the historical Nisutw, though I keep meaning to add visual references to them to my akhu shrine, since I regard them as ancestors of the faith, though not blood akhu.

I've got a particular fascination with the Early Dynastic royals, particularly Narmer, Mernit, Peribsen, and Khasekhemwy. I'm also interested in Montuhotep II, the founder of the Middle Kingdom. Nectanebo II is also intriguing, in that he seems more enigmatic than most, and is shrouded in the legends that sprang up around him. He's almost got an Egyptian equivalent of the Arthurian "Once and Future King" legend, and was folded into the Alexander Romances in strange and interesting ways, in order to add legitimacy to Alexander and the Ptolemies.
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, Nebthet-Nit-Seshat, her Aset

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 03:39:19 pm »
Em Hotep all, I'm somewhat new on the boards and I was reading and this thought came to mind and I don't know if it's been asked before but has anyone had connections to ancient pharaohs? I have a necklace that I was given when I was really young (like three or four) with Tutankhamun on it and I felt like he was protecting me, does anyone or did anyone ever feel like that? Just curious, hope y'all have a good day.

Em hotep nefer, Jacklyn! :D

I've never had any sense of "personal connection" to any Nisut Past, myself. Nor do I think that any of us are related to any Nisut in any direct, genetic sense. Even if there were any such direct, genetic connection between any of us and any given Nisut, They are not like normal ancestors -- not even when we take into account that, particularly during later periods of Ancient Egyptian history, the treatment of Akhu as deified was not unheard of.

I do hold specific admiration for certain Nisuts, however, like Horemheb (AUS) and Ramessu II (AUS), for the (literally) monumental work they accomplished in the religious restoration process following the Amarna Heresy and Akhenaten's politically and economically disastrous administration. I also have a great deal of love for the third Achaemenid Persian Emperor and Nisut Daryahuš I (AUS), "Holder of Goodness," who commissioned another series of great building projects within Egypt, and is ultimately responsible for much of what remains of Hebet Temple in the Khargeh Oasis today, one of the most beautiful works of Egyptian religion(s) and is one of few if not the only testament(s) to that particular age, as well as (what I construe as, anyway) his respect and admiration for Egyptian religion(s).

Since Their having assumed the Throne of Heru, and since Their having transitioned into the Duat after Their time on Earth ended, They are Gods, in a certain sense, and we can potentially revere Them/engage Them that way. Our own Nisut discussed much of this 11 years ago in this post (many thanks again to IbuPtah for directing me to it when I brought up Kingly Ka veneration late last year) : http://www.netjer.org/index.php?topic=1725.0

I personally don't treat Them as out-and-out Gods like, say, Amun, but I do understand Them as being "much more than regular Akhu." In any case, I do revere the Kingly Ka, and respect Hemet (AUS) not as some literal God-on-Earth, but as the one now invested with the mantle of the Kingly Ka and as the one occupying the Sacred Office of Nisut.

I still haven't been able to set up a dedicated shrine for it yet, but I do intend to have one for the veneration of the Kingly Ka established apart from my main shrine. It's not so much because I think Nisuts Past can intervene in my life personally. And it's obviously not because I've been "spiritually adopted," id est been initiated as a Shemsu-Ankh. :P Rather, as I said in the Kingly Ka thread I started last year (http://www.netjer.org/index.php?topic=19105.msg270862#msg270862), I desire to venerate the Kingly Ka and the Sacred Office of Nisut because of its overall importance in helping to maintain societal ma'at, ergo good rapport with the Gods, and because Hemet (AUS) and the Kemetic Orthodox Temple fulfill very important roles and functions within Kemeticism today -- and definitely within the lives of most of us who participate in the Temple at any level. Among other things, these Nisuts Past can help guide our own Temple's Nisut in maintaining traditions and "keeping the faith alive." :)

Senebty! :D
Sard

*Edited for some formatting issues
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:41:17 pm by Sarduriur »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:58:23 pm »
Hotep

I keep a image of Ramses the Great on my Akhu shrine, I greatly admire the length and integrity of his reign.  I also keep him there because of the time I had in the holy of the holies at Abu Simbel I was fortunate to have some time alone there while in Egypt.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »
Em hotep Jacklyn! -henu-

I know some Kemetics who venerate past Nisuts like Tutankhamun (AUS!).  Many feel his spirit is alive and well and may move amongst the people of Kemet or those who worship the Netjeru in any capacity.  I do know people who think of him as being sort of like a guardian spirit, a patron saint, or just simply, a king who wants to protect the vitality of spiritual Kemet. 

I personally do not venerate any Nisuts but ancestor veneration or veneration of public figures still occurs today and was not uncommon in the ancient world.  It was pretty ridiculous.  Ancient people would venerate people still living in Greece or Rome.

But in Ancient Kemet, the Nisut would have been looked at as the embodiment of the kingly ka of Heru.  He or she would have been, as the previous posters suggested, something more than a regular akhu but not a God.   

But either way, many people still venerate the past Nisuts who have passed on into the Duat.  It's fine if you do. 

Senebty!
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:50:27 am »
Greetings, Jacklyn!

It seems to me that with the fullness of time, the odds of being somehow related to a given person seem to increase the farther back you go. I have known a few folks who apparently had a close relationship to someone from thousands of years ago. I won't say they couldn't have been ancestors / aku. Why not a king or queen?

Sometime again,
--Coyote.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:53:32 am by Coyote Kishpaugh »
“I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself.”
-- Pietro Aretino, 10 May 1537.

* Most Recent Topics

topic India and Egypt
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
MauMau981
January 25, 2021, 08:47:36 pm
topic Sekhmet face masks
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]