Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you call your gods?  (Read 17727 times)

Online Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: What do you call your gods?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »
I generally call Wepwawet Dad, because with me He is almost the antithesis of formality. Both Seshat (beloved) and Aset (nowhere in my rpd but known for a long long time) are called Mom.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Lita45

• Remetj
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
I always put True Divine first.. Then their names.. Het Her, Anpu, Horus, Geb , Kephri..then I.insert myself. In the name of  I AM that I AM True Divine God/Goddess of
( insert your region and dimension.)

Much Divine Love, Divine Light, Peace
Lita 45

Offline Ameni

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:50 pm »
I'm not incredibly creative at coming up with fun titles or names for the Netjeru.  I find myself more often than anything calling Set and Yinepu by Father, sometimes I'll call Set "Storm Father" by what He's well known for.  I will sometimes call Them by "Lord of <insert attribute>", Set / Yinepu.

I'm sooner to call Them by Name and if not that then I will more than likely call Them Father/Fathers.  I think there was only one time I called Set by "Papa Storms".  I haven't done that since then, not for any reason, but just haven't felt that urge to use that identification come about since.  I think that was an attempt to loosen up and be more informal in approaching Him.  Normally I'm rather formal when referring to the Netjeru in general, not just my personal Netjeru.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:36:03 pm by Ameni »
Ameni-itui "Hidden in my Two Fathers"

Sa Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet
Mery Heruakhety her Heru-wer

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:26 pm »
Even before I was Divined, most Gods I worship(ed) I called "Father" in some capacity, in a formal way -- usually in the form of the ancient "Supreme Lord" appellative "Father of Fathers, Mother of Mothers" -- rather than in a personal way. What few Goddesses I've ever (rarely) petitioned receive(d) "Lady" and occasionally "Mother" -- "Mother" particularly for Taweret, given Her functions and roles. I never use "Mom" or "Dad;" it's just not my style.

The only ones to Whom "Father" applied in a very personal sense were Herishef, Amun(-Re-Banebdjedet), and Set. As I later found out, I am beloved of (Wesir as) Herishef, and not a daughter, so the continued use of "Father" with Him is not even close to literal (inasmuch as "Parent" and "Beloved" are ever conventionally literal). That said, "Father" still applies to Herishef in the sense that He is one of the preeminent deities of Kingship and Creation and so on.

Elsewise, I call Them all "Lord" consistently, and refer to each by a whole host of traditional epithets, many of which are shared between Them. One I have come to use most frequently with my "Great Father," Amun-Re, is "Men-em-Khet-Neb," which means "Who-Endures-in-Everything." Another is "Djefedjef," meaning "[Hidden] Within His Iris [the Sun Disc]." The latter refers specifically to an "iru-complex" of Amun-Re Who is my Father, that of Amun-Re as Banebdjedet. Amun-Re Djefedjef (Amun-Re as Banebdjedet, dwelling within the sun disc) is at the heart of the Solar Mysteries of (New Kingdom through Late Period) Amun Theology. 

With my "First Father," Set, I frequently call Him "Father," "Heavenly Father," and of course "Lord." I call Him by many of His traditional epithets, such as "Aapehty" (Great of Strength), "User-Khepesh" (Powerful of Foreleg), "Neb Pet Mehytet" (Lord of the Northern Heavens), "Seda-nef-Pet" (Who-Makes-the-Heavens-Tremble"), "Nega Aa" (Great [Long-Horned] Bull), "Deshr" (The Red), etc. That said, "Father," "Heavenly Father," and "Lord" see the most use.

Tenuously related: In the past, in my "baby Kemetic" days, I'd "seen"/experienced Amun-Re and Set within a triune syncretism, that of a very Northeast Delta-feeling "Set-'Baal'-Amun." It was all of my Fathers at once (plus Egyptianized Hadad, aka "Exotic Set on the Sinai Border"), and while it hasn't happened even remotely often, I have, after a fashion, addressed both of my Fathers by way of this particular syncretism before. So, both my "First Father" and my "Great Father" have been addressed by a shared set of names at once on a few occasions -- chief among this particular list of names being "Netjer Nub," "The Golden God," on the basis of Their/His appearance -- albeit before I knew for certain that They were/are my Fathers. :P To put it into some perspective, the way I have regarded this syncretism of my Fathers (plus Egyptianized Hadad) is similar to the way that Herishef was frequently treated historically, as part of the Herakleopolitan trinity (Herishef-Re-Wesir).

"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline MTurner

• Remetj
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:23 am »
If I'm just praying generally, like saying grace before eating anything I say Netjer. If I'm requesting help from specific Names I just call them their name, like Djehuty if I'm asking for wisdom or Wepwawet to open ways. I guess I'm not very formal about it, but as far as I can tell I haven't got any negative feedback from it. Granted, I don't have the best "god phone" so maybe I just can't hear them and miss their signs.
http://shinji-dai.deviantart.com

Computers, like cats, can operate cross-dimensionally; the trick is in getting them to do what you want.

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 03:14:37 am »
Typically I will call Sobek-Ra "Father" or by any of his epithets. :)
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ Temple Fundraiser ; tumblr }

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 06:11:23 am »
I'm with MTurner a bit.
Even in Senut, when I am praying for others, I call "Netjer". When I talking with them especially with the Gods of my line up, I call Them for their names. Sometimes, I call Heru-Wer by "Father", and Aset by "Mother". There is no especial namings for Them indeed.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:13:59 am by Kham »
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Lita45

• Remetj
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:18 am »
I  wanted to add that I still ask for things/petitions in the name of Jesus/Anpu. (As Anpu is the twin brother of Jesus as I have discovered) Also, my ascendent for my Natal chart on the mundane level is 9 degrees Scorpio so I owe much to Anpu as he is one of my main gods that I petition. ( Hail to you, True Divine Anpu: watcher of the western gate/True Divine Guardian of  the Duat, who is leader of the True Divine Gate.

Have a Great  Day and Great Night!

Much Divine Love, Divine Light, and Peace

Lita 45 xo

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 07:43:57 am »
Bast-Mut: Mother or Mama
Bast: Mama
Mut: Mother

Set: Handsome
Heru-wer: Bird

Aset: Great Lady, my Queen
Hethert: Beautiful

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:14 pm »
When it comes to my specific line up, I generally have called my parent Heru-sa-Aset either Lord my Father, or just Father.  For example: "In the Name of my Lord, my Father," or less formal "In the Name of my Father."  With my beloveds I usually just use the titles Lord and Lady unless they want me to use something different if the occasion calls for it.  Rarely do I use Dad, because I don't know why, but for some reason it just feels weird to call Him that, and so far I've only ever done that once in a conversation with a friend.
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 01:41:40 pm »
Sekhmet: "Boss", Red Lady (NOT LIKE GAME OF THRONES). "My Other Mother".

Yinepu: He gets "Handsome" too, come to think of it.  And on very rare occasions, "Puppy".

Offline Ihhyensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:00 pm »
Amun-Ra: Papa, Teacher, My Lord

Sekhmet: Ma'am. Boss, Mama-Sekhmet, My Lady, "yeeeeeesssss?" ( when she pokes, like right now ;) )

Yinepu: Uncle, Friend, Anubis, my guide, Sir

Bast ( though not in my lineup): Friend/ Girlfriend, lady-face, Kitty! ( she is usually amused by that)

Everyone else is pretty formal, unless I have a growing relationship with them.
Ihhy-"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra
meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
Daughter to (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Fedw divination for Sekhmet-Mut and Amun-Ra

Offline Gezausenu

• New Member Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
Djehuty's pretty much always been called Djehuty, though I get a very grandfatherly feel from Him, so maybe someday I'll try that and see what He thinks."Grandpa Djehuty"... sounds very cozy and warm to me, which is how He's been.

Set's sort of slipped into "Papa Set" for me, although I'm not divined yet. It just kind of happened; it slipped out once and I haven't stopped. He certainly hasn't told me that He minds, and it's very comforting. :) "Before Whom the sky shakes" is also an epithet I use frequently (often right after calling Him "Papa Set", which He seems to find amusing).

Hethert and Tawaret have both been "Mama" on the few occasions I've addressed Them--much like Set, it's just kind of slipped out.

And Yeshua (Jesus) is the Good Rabbi. ;) I still don't have my Christology properly figured out, and I don't know that I ever will, so whether or not Yeshua's a God to me is still up in the air. *grins and shrugs*

What a delightful thread!
Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau. <3)
child of Set and Sekhmet
beloved of Ptah, Djehuty, and Heru-Wer
( they / them / theirs / themself )
Devotional work for Papa and Mama.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 06:44:04 pm »
Jesus is a good egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gezausenu

• New Member Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 07:29:01 pm »
Jesus is a good egg.

HAHA that he is!

Seminary's kind of blindsided me theologically, so I'm looking forward to a summer free of classes to buckle down and get to know Yeshua (again?) without the pressure of creeds and confessions. :)
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau. <3)
child of Set and Sekhmet
beloved of Ptah, Djehuty, and Heru-Wer
( they / them / theirs / themself )
Devotional work for Papa and Mama.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2840
  • stats Total Posts: 279923
  • stats Total Topics: 18832
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything