collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 83
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What do you call your gods?  (Read 18987 times)

Offline Rahotep

Re: What do you call your gods?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 08:02:17 pm »
with their names as egyptian magic and ritual bases on the names... and their epithets as known from the ancients
Dj anx Dd wAs

Offline Abhenaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:13 pm »
I enjoy reading these and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one for sure!

In ritual I always acknowledge Their greatness, but I always address Sobek-Ra and Sekhmet-Hethert as Father and Mother respectively. Set, Heru-sa-Aset, and Djehuty I refer to as Brother. Not like I equate myself with Them on the same level, but I simply feel like They are my family and I feel closer to Them. Even down to dynamics! Heru doesn't say much so He's like the stoic, quiet guardian bro and Set's sarcastic and kind of in my face and Djehuty doesn't speak much directly but I feel like He keeps the peace.

I tend to refer to Ra as Creator because for a long time I equated Him directly with that. Tough habit to shake. Plus he IS the sun god and the sun certainly leads to more life, right? X3 I don't work closely with Bast (she's more for my mother but She IS here around me) but I know I have called Her "Pretty Kitty" and "Sexy Lady" affectionately. VERY affectionately and very carefully because She speaks loudly around here haha! I don't have much goddess energy around me, so I am glad She is around.

Offline Saheru

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:35 pm »
I generally greet them as:

Wesir - Father, Dad.
Khnum and Heru-ur - Uncle.
HetHert - Mum.
Sobek - Brother.
Wepwawet - Weppy, Brother.

Depends on the situation.  ;D
"You and I together are a single creation. Neither death nor spite nor fear nor ignorance stops my love for you..." - Hymn to Wesir from Awakening Osiris: The Egyptian Book of the Dead by Normandi Ellis.

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 12:45:10 am »
Em hotep all,

Rev. Sobeq,

I never saw this thread until now ...I must have missed it :)

Yinepu 
Informal - The Jackal Dude or the Big J. or on occasion the Dog Man.  (I'm very informal with my Parent)
Formal - Lord of the Shrine of the Desert Crossroads, Royal Child, He who is upon his Mountain, Lord of the Wrappings, Father or Sir.

Amun
Informal - Grandfather, the big goose, King of the Gods
Formal - Lord, Sir, He who hides in plain sight, (I lean towards being formal with Him)

Bast
Informal - the cat lady, aunt (not grandmother)
Formal - Lady of Malachite, The Eye, My Lady (I'm more formal with Her)

Aset
Informal - "That one"
Formal - Queen of Magic, My Lady (I'm very formal with Her always)

HetHert
Informal - She who grins, (I'm more informal with Her)
Formal - Lady of Gold, Lady of Turquoise, Mistress of the West, My Lady

Interesting ....I have more but these are the ones I use the most for my Parent and my Beloveds.

I enjoyed reading these as well.  It was interesting to see how you all see your Gods and what you call them or how you relate to them individually.

Thank you for sharing.

Senebty!

Meres
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32:05 am »
Em hotep, friends!

Oooh, this is lovely. <3 I found the reply I wrote pre-RPD (and while still at a Lutheran seminary, hah!) so this'll be fun to update. :P

Papa Set's still, well, Papa Set. ^_^ If I'm feeling formal or praying for something Super Serious wherein His Attention Right Now Would Be Appreciated . . . I tend to favor "Great of Strength" or "Lord of the Oasis" as His epithets. I never drop the "Papa," though, I just tack on extra smooth and buttery words that tie in some of His attributes to whatever I'm praying for. "Grinning (or Dancing) Sha(-man)" is another one that I love.

And Sekhmet's "Mama," of course. <3 I also call Her "Red Lady," as per Her ancient epithet, and "Strong of Medicine" or "Great Healer." Sometimes "Lady Who Protects the World." . . . "My" Sekhmet seems to be all about healing and strong-willed compassion.

Ptah is usually just that. Sometimes "Beloved Ptah." Sometimes "Grandfather of All." I love Him so. <3 OH! Also, He's "Ptah of the Deepest Peace," or "Ptah of Peace" . . .

Djehuty also falls into "Grandfather" occasionally, although He's usually "Beloved Djehuty". Sometimes "Ibis, oh Night-Sun", or "Truth Speaker" or "Sweet of Speech." (The latter I'm fond of if I'm praying to Him before a job interview or just need some reassurance in talking to someone about a potentially difficult topic.) If I'm struggling to write, I've used "Scribe of the Cosmos" once or twice.

Heru-Wer . . . Sometimes "Uncle," if I'm struggling to comprehend Him (for some reason, my Heru-Wer is very quiet, and only ever appears alongside Papa Set, not-quite-as-Bawy, but evoking that same Presence). But most often He's "Brother of the Blue Sky," alluding to His blue skies being the opposite of Papa Set's grey and stormy ones.

Wonderful, wonderful thread, Rev. Sobeq!! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Senebty!
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:58:06 pm by Gezausenu »
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Online Tawa'ubastmut

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2018, 08:48:56 am »
Updating this since it's been a couple of years.

Bast-Mut: Cat Mom, Mother, Mom, My Queen, Glorious/Beautiful/(Characteristic) Queen
Mafdet: Swift Runner, My Lady, Maffy (carefully), Bringer of Justice, Auntie (sometimes)
Heru-sa-Aset: Heru, Great Falcon, King
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Sau Apprentice ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising PR ☥
www.ChildofBast.com

Offline Neshnytyinepu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
What do you call your gods?
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 08:54:04 pm »
A fun thread to read through!

Yinepu: often just Yinepu or Anup, 'Nempu (courtesy of my sister and, when she was living, my
mom); Dad, Father, the Jackal, (my) Black-and-Gold God; various epithets, especially He Who Is Upon His Mountain and Foremost of the Westerners, but also Chief Physician, Judge, Guide and Guardian (of the Living and the Dead alike)

Nut: Nut, Starry One, Star-goddess, the (Patient) Mother. I have sung to Her before as Elbereth Gilthoniel

Set: usually just Set--the name comes off my tongue with all the weight one could ask for; Thunder God, God of Change, Red God, God of Outcasts; "yessir". While I'll describe Him as my uncle, I don't usually call Him that. (My partner, however, will call Him "[your] Uncle Set")

Nebt-het: Nebt-het, Dark Lady, Death, Mourner, Death Midwife, Weeping One
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:39:46 am by Neshnytyinepu »
Neshnyt "Yinepu's Storm"
𓃤
Sa Yinepu, mery Nut her Set her Nebt-het
they/them pronouns please
Self-Care Yinepu Advocate

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:25 pm »
Compiling a short list for Babi this time around, since He's been VERY present the last few months for me. :3

Formal titles I use in shrine include:

Wer-Aa (Very Great)

Ka-Ianu (Bull of the Baboons)

Medes-Merty (Sharp of [Two] Eyes; sometimes simply "Medes," being "Sharp")

Neb Pet (Lord of Heaven)

Neb Shesat (Lord of the Night Sky)

Neb Akhet (Lord of the Horizon)

Pa-Adu (The Aggressor)

Sa Re (Son of Re)

Tepy-Sa en Wesir / Herishef (Firstborn of Wesir / Herishef)

Mek en Re (Protector of Re)

Neb Naref (Lord of Naref)

Neb Henen-nesu (Lord of Herakleopolis Magna)

Neb Pehty imytu Pesedjet em khenu Henen-nesu (Lord of Might in the midst of the Ennead within Herakleopolis Magna)

Aapehty (Great of Strength)

In informal conversation with other people outside shrine: "The Angry Sky-Baboon" and "The Big Bad Baboon." :P He has historically-attested appearances as a tjesem-hound and as a dog-headed God (as in domestic dog, not jackal) -- along with a fearsome demonic entourage of 77 dogs -- but the baboon attributes stand out far more for me than anything else, in the majority of instances. :)
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:40 am »
When talking to my husband I often use informal nicknames (for Netjer I feel comfortable with and hopefully won't be offended) so he can keep up with who I mean.

Bast - Bast kitty, especially when talking about Her festival where I celebrate my cats. It's basically cat Christmas.

Wepwawet - Oofy.

Sutekh - Big Red

Djehuty - Beaky

Wesir - Osiris the gardening dude

Anpu - Nooby

Nut - Sky lady

I sometimes refer to Hethert as Cow lady Who owns the city. I live in a town - that likes to call itself a city - called Milton Keynes. If you're from the UK, you'll know us for our roundabouts and concrete cow statues. Cows are a big deal here in MK, so I like to think of Her as our secret patron. We're also a temple to the sun http://sianandjackie.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jackalspawn

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 07:31:27 pm »
Anubis=dad/father or lord, sekhmet=mom Horus=Sir, sobek=I don’t have anything special
jackal

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2018, 03:30:24 am »
Well, it does depend on context somewhat, but generally when speaking to them, I always use their names, Bast, Amunet, and Set.  Usually in that order if addressing all three of them, as that is how they arrived in my RPD.  When talking ABOUT them to someone else, it is usually Mom, Mama, Set.  If I need to distinguish between my mothers, I'll say Mama Bast and Mama Amunet.  I really don't think I've ever called them anything else. ;)
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Online Tawa'ubastmut

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 10:06:04 am »
Djehuty is Mr Monkey, in the most loving and respectful way possible.

Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Sau Apprentice ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising PR ☥
www.ChildofBast.com

Offline Capra

• Remetj
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:59 am »
I once referred to Shu and Tefnut as 'Kitties!' (Tefnut then playfully swatted me. Inner child giggled. Adult me got the message :D)

Usually Shu and Tefnut are 'the Lions', though depending on context I've also included Bast and Sekhmet in that grouping, too.

Offline Khamaiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 12:11:02 am »
HetHert
Informal - She who grins, (I'm more informal with Her)

That is the greatest Epithet I have ever heard.   :D :D
Yinepu Drives off Evil [From Me]
Son of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Tefnut and Amun
𓐍𓅓𓂝𓂞𓇋 𓈖 𓂸 𓁣 𓀂

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 12:30:32 am »
Regarding HetHert as "She who Grins" - oh most definitely!  When she is around my mouth hurts afterwards from smiling the whole time ..its so infectious when She smiles ..it just makes you want to do it too!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

* Most Recent Topics

topic Prayers for baby
[[PUBLIC] Prayer Requests]
Capra
Today at 10:37:55 am
topic Greetings
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Arienihethert
March 20, 2019, 04:38:28 pm
topic Newbie here
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Arienihethert