Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Flameless Candles and Potpourri for Senut :)  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Gezausenu

Flameless Candles and Potpourri for Senut :)
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:48:10 am »
Em hotep, all!

Alllright, one more question for ya. Thanks to you all for indulging my curiosity (again)!

Though we haven't been introduced officially to Senut yet, I've been lighting incense and a candle every morning--and a candle every evening--as a part of my own devotions. However, I'm finding that it's just too nerve-wracking to do every day, since I'm legally blind and don't really trust myself not to burn the apartment down. Or burn myself. Which kind of detracts from the tranquility of prayer (or Senut, I'd wager).

So, is it possible/acceptable to perform Senut (when the time comes and we're taught about it) with potpourri and flameless candles instead? If so, would I still say the same words (i.e. about fire and incense)?

Many thanks!
Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
Re: Flameless Candles and Potpourri for Senut :)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:17:58 am »
Yes! For travel shrines people are using LED tea lights and a number of people use essential oils instead of incense in their "regular" shrines.

Ibi (Awibemhethert)

Self Care Hethert Keeper
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:59 am »
Sweet! Thanks a bunch! :)

Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:40:18 am »
Hotep, Dylan!

I can't recall the specifics, but I want to say that folks have also used these for "regular" shrines in other places and situations where open flames of any kind are not allowed (dorms, barracks, etc.) or would have otherwise been unsafe.

As for the 'legalities' of the Senut rite if using a substitute (i.e. do I say the same words, etc.), I'd suggest that's an excellent question for your Beginners' Class teachers when the time comes. :)
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:06:51 am »
Em Hotep Dylan,

Yes,it is completely acceptable to use LED or flameless candles, and potpourri or perfume/ essential oils for the incense in place of. Many of us use those things when there are location issues, or allergies/ respiratory sensitivities.

The liturgy for the incense and flame blessing is the same, so no worries there either. You are still providing light and scent to the Names.

Hope this helps.

Senebty!

~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:31:09 am »
As for the 'legalities' of the Senut rite if using a substitute (i.e. do I say the same words, etc.), I'd suggest that's an excellent question for your Beginners' Class teachers when the time comes. :)

Hmmmm. "Patience, young grasshopper?" ;)

Thanks, Khesret! I've also read of people using LEDs for travel shrines, and potpourri in dorms, so I'm hoping both are okiedoke (even/particularly for Senut)!

Em Hotep Dylan,

Yes,it is completely acceptable to use LED or flameless candles, and potpourri or perfume/ essential oils for the incense in place of. Many of us use those things when there are location issues, or allergies/ respiratory sensitivities.

The liturgy for the incense and flame blessing is the same, so no worries there either. You are still providing light and scent to the Names.

Hope this helps.

Senebty!

~Rev. Mesetibes

Oooh, and I just saw this as I went to reply! Hooray! Many thanks, Rev. Mesetibes!!

Senebty and shalom, all!
Dylan.

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »
Em hotep nefer Dylan!

It is just fine to make appropriations for your shrine and practicing Senut.  Religious devotees, both ancient and modern, have all faced the challenge of having some kind of restriction to practicing their religion.  Even the strictest reconstructionist group is going to empathize with limitation.

If you're too afraid to use fire, LED candles work.  Scented candles that function as both your flame and incense also work just as good.  I know many people who are allergic to incense and the scent is too intense for them so they use scented LED candles. 

I suppose you could also call upon the Bennu bird or the first light of Creation to attend your Senut and then speak the blessing of the flame and incense.

At one time, within my Hellenic religion, I couldn't afford to keep an open flame going.  So I created a flame icon using that homemade cinnamon-Christmas ornament recipe.  Basically, you add cinnamon, applesauce, and a little water until you have a thick clay-like consistency and then you can mold it into something.  And you put it away to dry. 

I dedicated the flame icon to Hestia and although it's hardly a flame, it worked out just fine for me. 

Of course, I don't want to be insensitive to your blindness or condition.  I just thought I'd add a few more ideas for people who also have these restrictions.  :)

Senebty

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Flameless Candles and Potpourri for Senut :)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:30:28 pm »
Em hotep Dylan,

It seems that you have your answer, but I want to share a photo with you.  I also agree that LED and alternate scent is is fine.  As for the words, they are intended to stay exactly as is, with no alteration, so I still say flame and incense.  Also, they are to be read each time, and not recited from memory (but that's not your question).

This is an example of my travel shrine.  I use essential oil that Tabau made for Ra, and have a cotton ball soaked.

https://m.facebook.com/duarasungod/photos/a.1635223213409315.1073741828.1635210616743908/1635228226742147/?type=3&source=43

Great question!

Senebty,
Rayashi
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:00:51 pm »
Praisingnetjer--oh, don't you fret! I just mentioned my blindness because--well mostly to remind myself that there are some things I'd be ill-advised to do. I like to think I can do everything. ;) But open flames and sticks (or cones) of incense? Erm. I don't even use my gas stove, HAHA. But your suggestions are beautiful and I appreciate them!

Rayashi--thank you much for the input, particularly about the words. And that is an adorable--if I may call it that--travel shrine! I love how neat and tidy it is. And those little sunflowers!

One other question on the subject of Senut: Should we wait until we're formally introduced to it in the beginners' class in order to perform it, or are we okay to follow Rev. Siuda's prayerbook word-for-word before said formal intro?

Thanks again!
Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.

Online Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 06:14:11 pm »
Em hotep Dylan,

I would suggest waiting until you get to that lesson. There will be additional discussion and explanations around the rite.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »
Em hotep Dylan,

That is another great question.  It's all personal preference.  Most people begin using it right away.  I personally (not sure why) didn't start until half way through the beginner's class.  If you're feeling a draw to start, go for it!

Senebty,
Rayashi
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »
Personally I would wait, as mentioned there are things about Senut that's not covered in the book.  It always good to know why you do something before you do it.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:07 pm »
Beautiful to know! Thanks to you both! It hasn't been explained yet that there's more than what's in the book, though I'd reckoned there would be more "theological" explanation in class, as it were. :)

I ended up re-assembling my shrine (giving Set His space but moving Djehuty and Yinepu since They've become pretty quiet, and to make the shrine mostly neutral) and have been using it as a focal point for morning and evening prayers. I leave water out for Netjer every day (and give it to my rubber tree at night!), and there's a photo of my closest ancestors (Mom, Grammie, and my paternal grandparents). So, nothing officially "Senuty" yet! But there's space and time. :)

(Ha. Ha. Space and time. Aha.)

Anyway, thanks again for your input, all of you!

Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:45:52 am »
It's 100% okay to use LED candles, I myself use them :)

I use them because my shrine is under wooden shelves, so burning real candles would damage the wood on the shelf above.
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289237
  • stats Total Topics: 19623
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217