Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 62
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Ancient vs. Modern  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Ancient vs. Modern
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »
Em hotep!

How much do you draw on ancient sources versus modern interpretations and your own personal feelings about the gods, in your religious practice? As Kemetic Orthodox, we are neither strict reconstructionists nor entirely modern practitioners; there is room for growth and interpretation within the framework the ancient Kemetics put together. And because we are not a dogmatic religion, we each have freedom to decide how much we rely on each source in our own personal worship.

So how much do you rely on antiquity? How much do you rely on your own intuition?

I would say I'm about a 50/50 split. I believe that the foundation the people of Kemet laid down for us is critical. The holidays, the role of the gods, the structure of ritual, the philosophy behind why rituals are set up the way they are -- and more -- are all necessary. It's also important to have a personal relationship with the gods, and to use intuition and direct experience when we decide how to relate to them. Without the foundation, none of our direct experience matters. Without our relationship with the gods and room for interpretation, we become rigid and don't grow through our practices.
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Online Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Ancient vs. Modern
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:54:57 pm »
I would say I'm 75/25 ancient vs modern.  I lean more ancient than modern, but both are needed in this day and age.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Self-Care Aset Advocate, Self-Care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »
Em hotep nefer Sobeq -henu-,

Like my sister, I pull a lot on antiquity.  I prefer a historical understanding because of the richness of the detail and because the Gods of this culture came from that culture and that group's understanding of the world. 

I'd say my personal practice is 65/35. 

Strict reconstructionism or a totally modern approach is really bizarre to me.  You need a little of both. 

I'm sure the Netjeru prefer getting milk chocolate (something ancient Egyptians wouldn't have had access too) to the daily bread of the ancient people of Kemet, which had bits of sand mixed into it.  Yuck.  Not a very appetizing offering for modern day. 

I think giving the Names a chance to grow with the times is very important.  It also brings the physical, ritualistic practice of the religion closer to those of us in modern day.

I know Aset guides a lot of my own intuitive religious practice and has commanded that I do rituals in a certain way to honor specific deities.  Which I appreciate. 

Senebty!
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:45:00 pm »
I'm about 40/60.  I believe an historical framework is necessary, but change is inevitable.  I am not the same person now that I was 20 years ago, and I believe the Gods  and humans are not the same as they were 6,000 years ago.  Stagnation is the realm of the uncreated.  Our gods are about zep-tepi.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:44 am »
I would say I am probably 85% modern with only a smattering 15% of ancient. I love to read about ancient practices, but they don't really jive with my life. Why should we go backward in our thinking when there is a huge realm of possibility right in front of us? Additionally, if we had more personal, individualized accounts of early worship, I imagine that each dedicant not in a temple would be doing their own thing and we wouldn't even see the structured worship much outside of a living temple.
Sat Bast meryt Amun, Wepwawet-Yinepu her Set
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
Bast causes Herself to be revealed to me
(6/27/18)

Offline mross

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 09:06:35 am »
Hmm... my personal practice... is probably about 35 ancient/65 modern. although it's hard to tell, because right now I have very little "practice". mostly I just study Ancient Egyptian life and religion. I have an ongoing problem of being shy, and that spans my interactions with living humans, to those passed to the West, to even the Netjeru. Especially the part of speaking out loud is difficult for me, which is why my personal practice is often very modern: that and the restrictions of time, money, and simply living in the modern day. I highly value having a good knowledge of ancient practice, if only because I feel a little better if I "Know the rules before breaking them"

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Offline Lita45

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:10:43 pm »
A lot of my practices come from Antiquity. I am big Ancient Egyptian Buff and ; I really believe if one doesn't follow the original blueprint of the divine Neteru than the rituals, petitions, etc. will not have the true outcome. If I wanted to offer chocolate milk (I do love chocolate milk) I would offer it as the original Hesa and  since I have a relationship with specific Divine Neteru I would pray and ask if this is acceptable. Usually, it is because Hesa  is a traditional offering.So, I would say I am 95 Ancient 5 percent modern. 95/5

I don't rely much on my own intuition. Also, I rely on astrological charts for specific timing Ancient and Modern.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »
I would say I'm 75/25 ancient vs modern.  I lean more ancient than modern, but both are needed in this day and age.

Basically the same situation concerning my own practice. I'm trained in ANES, so there's a lot of bleed-through between my academic specializations and my personal practice, even if I didn't want there to be (though, fortunately for me, I do want there to be :P ).

I usually don't even use English for ritual. In-shrine, it's almost entirely "transliterese" CME, apart from any personal prayers I have to give upon concluding the ritual rote ("ritual rote" being senut, hymns of praise, and offering formulae, and usually I just leave it at that for shrine-time). There's nothing particularly wrong with English, of course; it just really helps me get into the proper ritual headspace to use CME, it lends gravitas, and I don't have to "compute" as much between meanings that way. Moreover, as the old adage goes, "if you don't use it, you lose it." Helps me to stay on top of my CME learning.

Same goes for Akkadian usage in my Mesopotamian practices, and to what extent historical sources pertaining to Mesopotamian religions (especially from the Neo-Assyrian Period) influence my personal practice. :) 
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Siaheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 06:42:23 pm »
Hotep!!

I would say my personal practices are about 20/80. The bread of my rituals is from antiquity, however, the butter (or whatever "flavor" you prefer) is more modern. I believe that ALL religion should be viewed as a living religion, ever evolving, ever changing. Stagnation prevents growth. That being said, I would love to hear Tabau's take on this topic. :)

Senebty!!
"A smooth sea, never a captain made" -Unknown

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2979
  • stats Total Posts: 286848
  • stats Total Topics: 19443
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217